Windows 10: *.ani and *.cur Icons Not Showing Thumbnail

Discus and support *.ani and *.cur Icons Not Showing Thumbnail in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've been doing a bit of mucking about with cursor icons lately, and downloaded a few I thought were interesting. Using Explorer, I went to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Budfudder, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Budfudder Win User

*.ani and *.cur Icons Not Showing Thumbnail

I've been doing a bit of mucking about with cursor icons lately, and downloaded a few I thought were interesting. Using Explorer, I went to c:\Windows\Cursors, and I could see all the thumbnails, great.

I wanted to tweak some of them, so I downloaded a cursor editor (RWCursorEditor) and used it. Then I thought I'd associate both .ani and .cur to the program, so I could just double-click in Explorer to open an .ani or.cur in the editor. Great.

Problem is - as soon as I made that association, I lost all the thumbnails. Now Explorer just shows the RWCursorEditor icon for all of my .ani and .cur files.

I reset all of my file associations, think that might fix it - it didn't. All of my .ani and .cur files started having no icons associated at all - so they just showed the default icon that looks like a page of paper.

I've also fiddled with the settings in the View tab of the Folder Options dialog. I've tried every combination of the 'Always show icons, never thumbnails' and 'Display file icon on thumbnails' settings that there is - none of them made the slightest difference.

Oh, if it makes any difference:-
    - Windows 10 Enterpise

- Version 1709

- OS Build 16299.248

- 8.00 GB- 64-bit

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

:)

Budfudder, Mar 3, 2018

2. preview pane and thumbnails

In File Explorer, when I search through folders, some jpg files show as thumbnails, some as icons. Some show up in preview pane, some don't. there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason or consistency to it. Please don't simply instruct me to select thumbnails
    or preview pane in the view tab, because I've already explained that there's no consistency to it.

Mark and DebbySmith, Mar 3, 2018
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Icons and thumbnails not showing

Hi,

It is possible that icons and thumbnails are not showing due to corruptions. To assist you better, we'd like to ask if what troubleshooting steps have you done so far.

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow the steps provided in this article by clicking on this

link
    . It will let you scan for corruptions and will provide you a remedy.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Mar 3, 2018
  4. Bastet Win User

Bastet, Mar 3, 2018
  5. Budfudder Win User
    I cannot thank you enough for this fix. Worked like a charm exactly as that link said it would.

I've been agonising over this for days - you're a lifesaver! Thank you!

Budfudder, Mar 3, 2018
  6. Bastet Win User
    Glad to help. @Brink has helped me out numerous times on this forum. *Smile

Bastet, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. *.ani and *.cur Icons Not Showing Thumbnail - Similar Threads - ani cur Icons

2. pictures will only show as icons and not thumbnails, is there a fix for this ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pictures will only show as icons and not thumbnails, is there a fix for this ?: Since I installed windows 11 my pictures will not show as thumbnails only as icons. How do I change this ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pictures-will-only-show-as-icons-and-not/ef0a406c-e934-456d-9b55-49d7b3473136
  3. Thumbnails not showing, only icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Thumbnails not showing, only icons: Hi.I`ve tried all the recommendations that were on Google, and cant get the thumbnails to come back.All of these I`ve tried..............https://allthings.how/10-ways-to-fix-image-and-video-thumbnails-not-showing-problem-on-windows-10/Even asked "Bleeping Computer" forum...
  4. Thumbnails/Icons not previewing or showing up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Thumbnails/Icons not previewing or showing up: Hello, I can't see my thumbnail previews/icons in my folders. I have tried disk cleanup, running command prompt, restarting my laptop, using winfilefolder.diagcab and running that, I've tried turning 'always show icons never thumbnails' on and off/and keeping it unchecked and...
  5. How to show thumbnails instead of icons?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to show thumbnails instead of icons?: How do I show thumbnails instead of icons? I have it configured under VIEW. And also under PERFORMANCE OPTIONS. However it doesn't work. I still get icons and not thumbnails. [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  6. Thumbnails showing only icon

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Thumbnails showing only icon: Why do thumbnails of downloaded photos now show only the icon, not the picture? Can this be cured? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumbnails-showing-only-icon/fa5d3dc9-bd66-4142-8704-d8c8afc0bfba"
  7. Thumbnails not displaying: Unchecked 'show icons'/checked 'thumbnails'

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnails not displaying: Unchecked 'show icons'/checked 'thumbnails': Hi, I have unchecked the option to 'show icons instead of thumbnails' (view>options>folder options) and I have checked 'show icons' (performance>advanced) but still I get icons instead of thumbnails. I have closed and restarted file explorer multiple times to no change. I...
  8. .cur & .ani files not showing thumbnail after assign "Open With"

in Windows 10 Support
    .cur & .ani files not showing thumbnail after assign "Open With": By default .cur and .ani cursor files are not associated with opening by any program, and a thumbnail of the pic contents is displayed in the file explorer icons. When I assign a program for opening the file (ThumbsPlus, ACDSee, RealWorld Cursor Editor, whatever), the...
  9. Thumbnails showing as icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnails showing as icons: Hi - I hope someone can help When I look at my phone image files through my laptop via USB MTP using Windows10 I can see some file thumbnails as images (those from the DCIM Android folders - DCM images and other JPG images transferred to my phone from my camera) but other...
  10. Save-as Dialog Box not showing any thumbnails

in Windows 10 Support
    Save-as Dialog Box not showing any thumbnails: Hi, I was trying to save an image from the internet and my fingers slipped on a key. Since then every time the save-as box opens, where the files should show, it is just grey. I will attach a picture to show the issue. Could someone please assist me in getting back the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant view thumbnails .ani cursor

2. how to get thumbnail view for .ani files

3. how to assign .ani files in windows 10