Windows 10: Anniversary fails on older machine

Discus and support Anniversary fails on older machine in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Twice I have been notified of awaiting update and to restart. The update is the Anniversary version. After over an hour of time, the computer will fail... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by W2BLC, Oct 13, 2016.

1. W2BLC Win User

Anniversary fails on older machine

Twice I have been notified of awaiting update and to restart. The update is the Anniversary version. After over an hour of time, the computer will fail to boot and after fiddling you are notified you must restart to return to the previous version. That restart took me over an hour and a half before the system returned to a workable OS. This is the second time and I know it will not be the last, as the update is being force fed (ala Microsoft).

The machine is over six years age. After discussing this problem with a number of other Windows users, I have come to the conclusion that older computers do not work with Anniversary. All of my newer machine have updated to Anniversary with no problems. The older machine should be given a pass by Microsoft, as it will not update. Fat chance of that happening. I will continue to be forced to download and install Anniversary!

The alternative is to either build or buy a new machine - causing purchase of a Win 10 license.

:)

W2BLC, Oct 13, 2016
  2. slance310 Win User

Windows 10 "Create a system repair disk" will not boot

Hi,

If you have any images created with a older version... Anniversary or older, for instance... the Recovery Disk from the Creators update may not recognize them...

You will need the older Recovery Disk... Seems stupid, but that is how it worked out on my machines... It took a good while to figure out what the actual problem was...

slance310, Oct 13, 2016
  3. Anniversary Update Stops Xbox 360 Media Remote from working

Hi, thanks for the reply - yes, anniversary update installed correctly on all machines that I tested. Removing & reinstalling the driver didn't help. I even went to a machine that's never seen the receiver, plugged it in to ensure it was a fresh install,
    and it failed to work until I rolled back the anniversary update.

Rich9999(2), Oct 13, 2016
  4. soares Win User

Maybe not the best advice here as there could be some other workarounds but you could try to clean install windows 10. The iso from microsoft website already has the anniversary update.

soares, Oct 13, 2016
  5. bobkn Win User
    As far as I know, if the machine could run the original release (version 1507), then it should be able to run the Anniversary Update (1607) as well.

I second getting the AU .ISO, although you may be able to run the update from that without needing a clean install.

I had a problem installing the AU on one machine (not an old one). If memory serves (unlikely), I was able to proceed after running the Disk Cleanup tool and chkdsk.

Failing that, a clean install should work.

bobkn, Oct 14, 2016
  6. W2BLC Win User
    Gotta love clean installs - a ton of work to get everything running again. Not an option for most machines. I can try the ISO - I have one of them on hand.

W2BLC, Oct 14, 2016
  7. pbcopter Win User
    Hi Charles,
    Try uninstalling any third party Antivirus/antimalware programs before you try to update.
    There have been issues with these third party programs and updates.

Paul,

pbcopter, Oct 14, 2016
  8. W2BLC Win User

Well, the only thing I have not tried is to wipe the drive and try an install. Wasted time again yesterday trying from a disk - hours later - failure again. After several more hours, the system rebooted back to the original Windows 10.

Next move will be to disable the updates - as much as possible.

What burns me is that I lost a perfectly workable Win 7 machine to this phony update scam and moved to Win 10. Win 10 actually worked OK. Then along comes Anniversary and it fails. Of course it is way too late to revert back to Win 7.

After that, perhaps Linux is a more appropriate move.

W2BLC, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Anniversary fails on older machine - Similar Threads - Anniversary fails older

2. Need to find and delete the duplicate older machine certificates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to find and delete the duplicate older machine certificates: Hi,I want to know if there is a PowerShell command that can find and delete duplicate old machine certificates from the local machine store.I want to know if there is a query to find devices with duplicate certificates in "Cert:\LocalMachine\My" location.Thanks,Muja...
  3. Need to find and delete the duplicate older machine certificates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to find and delete the duplicate older machine certificates: Hi,I want to know if there is a PowerShell command that can find and delete duplicate old machine certificates from the local machine store.I want to know if there is a query to find devices with duplicate certificates in "Cert:\LocalMachine\My" location.Thanks,Muja...
  4. Can't install on an older machine

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't install on an older machine: I'm trying to install Windows 10 on a P4HT (dual-core 64bit) IBM. I have tried flashing the ISO to a USB stick, copying the ISO onto a Ventoy USB stick and doing the first part of the install on another machine. Doing either of the USB methods I get a black screen with a...
  5. 20H2 on older machine

in Windows 10 Support
    20H2 on older machine: All three of my computers are about 10-11 yrs old. All are running 1909 flawlessly. None have been offered 2004 or 20H2 in updates except one was offered transiently so I decided to test with an old ASUS K53 laptop that is basically stock except for SATA SSD and 8 GB ram....
  6. Machine Constantly Failing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Machine Constantly Failing: Hello, I have been getting constant BSOD over the last 4 weeks since the update. So much so that I can no longer use my desktop. I've tried a variety of the troubleshooting. Here are 4 different dump files Number 1 Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 10.0.18362.1...
  7. Running windows 10 On Older Machines

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Running windows 10 On Older Machines: O.k.......I am running Windows 10 on a seven years old Dell Inspiron 1545, it works fine apart from one problem.......after clicking on desktop icon it can take up to 25 seconds to load a web page.......not all the time, and not all web pages.......Facebook for instance is...
  8. Anniversary Upgrade Second_Boot Fail/Error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anniversary Upgrade Second_Boot Fail/Error: Asus Portable Sonicmaster V500CA. Win8/8.1 upgraded to Win10 version 1511.(latest version as of yesterday. Yesterday the computer downloaded and attempted to install 1607. Hung for several hours at a black screen with white dots going in circle, prior to any login. In other...
  9. Win 10 Anniversary fails to install

Win 10 Anniversary fails to install: My anniversary update failed near 80% complete showing: 0x80070017-0x2000c...failed in SAFE_OS phase...error APPLY_IMAGE operation. I suspect a hard drive problem as it makes noises. I have a new hard drive that I would like to replace the old one with. It is new (WD 1 TB...
  10. Anniversary update fails

Anniversary update fails: I'm helping a friend with her Toshiba laptop. It came with Windows 7 and she had updated it to windows 10 but could not update to the anniversary version. The anniversary update repeatedly failed for me too. So I did a sfc/scannow which found errors and fixed them. I...