Windows 10: Anniversary Update causes freeze at lock screen

Discus and support Anniversary Update causes freeze at lock screen in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Old laptop, Core2 Duo. Windows Update still hasn't offered the Anniversary Update so I downloaded the installer (Windows10Upgrade28084.exe)today, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by mc510, Sep 16, 2016.

1. mc510 Win User

Anniversary Update causes freeze at lock screen

Old laptop, Core2 Duo. Windows Update still hasn't offered the Anniversary Update so I downloaded the installer (Windows10Upgrade28084.exe)today, and installed. After which, whenever waking from sleep, the lock screen would be totally unresponsive to keyboard and mouse; only solution was hard power-off. Oddly, lockscreen worked fine on initial startup. The wife won't put up with this, so I rolled back.

But I do want to eventually get to the Anniversary Update. When I try again with AU, what should I try to fix the frozen lock screen problem?

:)

mc510, Sep 16, 2016

2. Lumia 950 crash after charging

I'm experiencing this issue as well - post anniversary update my Lumia 950 freezes on lock screen after charging overnight. Battery removal and subsequent boot seems to be only resolution.

Also seems to have issues with screen brightness 'locking' on low setting, regardless of ambient conditions (no idea if that's related).

The Berserker, Sep 16, 2016
  3. Windows Spotlight Not Working (BLACK SCREEN)

I also had the problem with Citrix Receiver turning off window animations and causing the lock screen wallpaper to be black.

It would be ideal if window animations weren't necessary for lock screen wallpapers to work..

PS - This is only a problem after the Anniversary Update.

Random Anonymous Name, Sep 16, 2016
  4. mc510 Win User

Update: After reverting back to the previous Windows 10 version 1511, I found and installed two updated drivers (Synaptics touchpad and wifi). Then installed Anniversary Update again, this time using the ISO. During installation, I let it check for updates. After installation completed, I checked for updates again, and got "Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 (KB3176936)" plus a Flash update. Then I put the computer into sleep, and upon wake, the lock screen is still frozen and unresponsive to mouse or keyboard. After a hard reboot, I used the tweak to disable the lock screen; now after waking from sleep I can see the box in which to enter a password, but it's still unresponsive to keyboard and mouse. Next tried using netplwiz to disable password on login, hoping that it would just skip past the lock screen and password screen, but no such luck. It still asks for a password, and it is still unresponsive to mouse or keyboard.

Going to have to roll back to 1511 again. *Mad

mc510, Sep 17, 2016
  5. mc510 Win User
    Thought I'd try again, knowing that there have been further updates to the Anniversary Edition, so I installed again, this time build number 14393.447. Still have the exact same problem. Did a chat session with Microsoft support, which offered no solutions at all. *Banghead

BTW, this laptop has Core2duo T5600 cpu; 2 GB RAM; GMA950 integrated video; 945GM chipset; Samsung Evo 850 SSD. Pretty standard stuff (from 10 years ago, except for the SSD), and it works a treat with 1511. But not with 1607. *Mad

mc510, Nov 13, 2016
  6. mc510 Win User
    Okay, got some suggestions so tried AGAIN with 1607.

Try "powercfg -resetdefaultschemes". Nope.
    Set "allow this device to wake computer" for keyboard and mouse. Okay, but not help.
    Confirm hibernate and hybrid sleep disabled. Yep, they're already disabled.
    Boot in Safe Mode. Sleep isn't available in Safe Mode, so this isn't any help.
    Boot in Diagnostic Startup mode. Result is that when the login screen comes up after coming out of sleep, the password box is missing.
    Do a Clean Boot, no startup items and only MS services. Behaves just like a regular startup, can't enter password after waking from sleep.

A funny thing here is that either the keyboard or mouse will wake the computer, so they are doing something, but once the password screen comes up they no longer do anything.

Oh, and I finally thought to set it so that it doesn't require a password when waking from sleep. So now when it wakes from sleep, it goes right to showing me the desktop, but the mouse and keyboard are -- wait for it -- totally unresponsive.

mc510, Nov 20, 2016
  7. mc510 Win User
    OP here, just updating for the historical record. For some reason I thought to try AU x64, and it seems to work!

Now if I could just get 1703 to properly install and run ....

mc510, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Anniversary Update causes freeze at lock screen - Similar Threads - Anniversary Update causes

2. windows update KB4532693 causing screen freeze

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows update KB4532693 causing screen freeze: also unable to uninstall tried UI as well as command line , the laptop is almost unusable https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-kb4532693-causing-screen-freeze/7f3ec3f5-eb62-4895-a7c9-dac90816b3a5
  3. Windows update causing screen to freeze then reboot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update causing screen to freeze then reboot: G'day. Hoping someone can help. Ever since my computer updated, it has caused my screen to freeze and then computer goes into a reboot. Only to repeat. Freeze then reboot. ARGH!!! I've tried to restore but there are no restore points except the latest update point. Hope...
  4. Lock Screen Problems in Anniversary Upgrade

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lock Screen Problems in Anniversary Upgrade: I use Windows Home and find the inability to disable the Lock Screen on login really annoying. I used to use the registry fix on this forum but this no longer works. In Spotlight Mode, the correct Lock Screen background is shown when I use Windows Key + L but the last...
  5. Dissable Lock Screen - Windows 10 Anniversary

Dissable Lock Screen - Windows 10 Anniversary: Hi Maybe anyone knows hot to dissable Lock Screen in Windows 10 Anniversary ? Normal pre-update solutions doesn't work :\ 58505
  6. Disable anniversary update lock screen

Disable anniversary update lock screen: I have found two methods to do this, neither of which work Disable the Windows 10 Lock Screen (Anniversary Update) - gHacks Tech News Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10 Anniversary Update version 1607 are the ones I've tried, but the lock screen is still there. I'm on...
  7. Lock screen background image does not appear (Anniversary Update)

Lock screen background image does not appear (Anniversary Update): Hi folks, Background A year or more ago I followed [this guide](How to Change the Login Screen Background on Windows 10) to set the Sign-in screen to a single colour rather than having to use Microsoft's default background image. So I set my own custom background image...
  8. Win10Pro lock screen loop after anniversary update.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Win10Pro lock screen loop after anniversary update.: Hi After last update (anniversary) I can't log into system. I have PIN authorisation set up and after last reboot after update I typed proper PIN - then screen just blink and lock screen show up again. No matter if I type PIN or password is the same issue. Of corse I...
  9. Windows 10 Anniversary Update Lock Screen Personal Pictures Not Shown

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update Lock Screen Personal Pictures Not Shown: The personal picture in the circle or a local picture selected for the lock screen does not show up after the anniversary update. This only happens if the no-password option has been set. If you log out then the selected pictures are shown when you log in. Is this a bug or...
  10. (win10, anniversary update) taskbar freezes

in Windows 10 Support
    (win10, anniversary update) taskbar freezes: sometimes the task bar freezes. i cannot open or close any program using the task bar icons. i cannot access the task manager by right-clicking on the task bar. open programs continue to run all right. i uninstalled the last two programs that i installed before the problem....