Windows 10: Anniversary update change default programs?

Discus and support Anniversary update change default programs? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Did the anniversary update change the way the default programs used to work? I can't seem to set the default programs to use portable applications... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by benedict, Dec 7, 2016.

1. benedict Win User

Anniversary update change default programs?

Did the anniversary update change the way the default programs used to work?
    I can't seem to set the default programs to use portable applications now. And its alot harder to set file associations as well for portable apps.

:)

benedict, Dec 7, 2016

2. My Quickbooks premier contractor edition 2011 stopped working after Windows 10 update.

Try resetting the default printer. The Windows 10 Anniversary update changes the way printers are managed and deselects the default printer. I haven't had a chance to check this fix, but there have
    been other programs affected by this update.

BenWarrenComputers, Dec 7, 2016
  3. Quick Books 2011 Win 10 will not run

Try resetting the default printer. The Windows 10 Anniversary update changes the way printers are managed and deselects the default printer. I haven't had a chance to check this fix, but there have
    been other programs affected by this update.

BenWarrenComputers, Dec 7, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you will have to browse to the program manually to achieve this; programs must register themselves as potentially capable of handling a particular file type or protocol to be listed. Naturally, portable programs don't do that.

Programs which handle a wide range of file types and protocols will of course present a challenge, and should be avoided (e.g. a portable version of a browser).

Please read through this which may help:
    How to make any program the default on Windows 10 - gHacks Tech News

dalchina, Dec 7, 2016
  5. benedict Win User
    I should have been clearer in my initial post. Win10 (pre-ann. update) used to be able to set default programs to any portable installed app once its been recognized, instead of having to slowly link each file extension to a program one by one, and having to do it all over again once a big updates occurs which tends to mess up file extensions.

The recognition used to happen once an app is associated with a file extension, and could be used as a default app to set many associations in one go. But now, that functionality has been removed and default apps can only be set with fully installed apps under Win10.

Theres nothing wrong with portable apps which can handle many file types/protocols. Any novice Windows user would know how to use the default apps setting to reset file associations to another app if a portable app is removed (and file associations broken). My preference is to use portable apps since Win10 updates have broken start menu links or never copied over those apps when a big update happens.

benedict, Dec 8, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    I've not experienced the last at all. But then, I also use Classic Shell (free) as my start menu as Win 10's start menu is derisory, failing to handle an extensive start menu with folders and subfolders.

dalchina, Dec 8, 2016
  7. benedict Win User
    There were reports that the anniversary update broke or uninstalled Classic Shell. I didn't notice this problem but had other update issues - hanging, repeated update for the anniversary version.

I now find that changing a bunch of file associations will make a portable app appear in the menu list in the default apps. No idea exactly how it happens but I can work with that.

benedict, Dec 9, 2016
  8. Steve C Win User

I use Classic Shell and I've just done the AU. I didn't have the above problems but had some others reported at https://www.tenforums.com/installati...te-report.html

Steve C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Anniversary update change default programs? - Similar Threads - Anniversary update change

2. Cannot change default program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot change default program: Hi All, I'll start this thread apparently for the umpteenth time, but none of the forum posts (and not just this forum's) I've read provided with a fix to this one. My Windows version number is 10.0.17763. I have a few Adobe CC 2020 programs installed (yes, with a genuine,...
  3. change default email program ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    change default email program ?: how to change default email program from outlook to win 10 app? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-default-email-program/b146b8b3-2491-48c1-bcc0-499ac61cfc82"
  4. Change default program

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change default program: I just got a new computer. I always use Paint Shop Pro for my pictures. But I can't get Windows to open all pictures in it. I always have to go more steps. And even if I say to use Paint Shop as program - for sure next time I open a picture I get Windows photo app. Any idea...
  5. Can't Change Default Programs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Change Default Programs: Hello anyone reading this I am having a problem with Windows 10 Here is a video about it: https://youtu.be/G_BIcAyhXCc And if you can't watch the video my problem is I can't go into file manager in the default programs selector, I also can change what a program opens...
  6. Unable to change default program

Unable to change default program: I'm unable to change my wmv file player or the program that I use to open zip files. I'm wanting to change them to media player classic and 7zip, but nothing happens upon switching their default program. For wmv files, I use choose another app, check to always use media...
  7. Change default program

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change default program: Hi I have both OneNote2010 and OneNote2016 installed (because you must the whole 2016-office suite) but I just use the 2010 version After the last Windows update default program for (.one) has changed back to 2016 And I cant find the 2010 version to add How can you...
  8. Anniversary Update - default browser opens on login

in Browsers and Email
    Anniversary Update - default browser opens on login: We recently updated two machines to the Anniversary Update (via the Media Creation Tool method). Since the update, when you log in, the default browser is automatically opened at MSN.com. Neither browser has msn.com as their default page, and if you launch the browser from...
  9. Default Program won't change?

Default Program won't change?: I am trying to set my default programs in windows 10 but it is having none of it. It just sticks on the grey square with "Choose a default". If I reset it goes back to edge, I then try and click Chrome and it is still edge. If I refresh the page it is back to the "Choose a...
  10. Anniversary update has defaulted to COA screen?

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary update has defaulted to COA screen?: I have a laptop that came with windows 8.1 and the COA was embedded (so I have never seen it). I upgraded to the free win 10 that was available prior to July 29th cutoff. All was fine, a little buggy at times but upgraded and activated. So the anniversary update happened one...