Windows 10: Anniversary Update Deleted My Pictures Files

Discus and support Anniversary Update Deleted My Pictures Files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yesterday I did the new 1607 [14393.10] update and today noticed my Pictures folder is empty. Other things like My Documents and that sort of thing are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tazmo8448, Aug 4, 2016.

1. tazmo8448 Win User

Anniversary Update Deleted My Pictures Files

Yesterday I did the new 1607 [14393.10] update and today noticed my Pictures folder is empty. Other things like My Documents and that sort of thing are as they were and untouched.

I used Disk Cleanup right after the update and fear those pictures may have been part of the 'temporary' files not sure but I cleaned out about 15 or so gigabytes. My question is can those pictures be somewhere that I am not aware of or should I in order to retrieve them revert to the Macrium Reflect that I use to just restore the OS to what it was the day before the update which in my case would be 8/2/206 as the update was done 8/3/2016.

The initial W10 upgrade last August and the November update both asked if I would like to 'save my settings' whereas this update just uploaded then installed on restart with no input as to whether or not I would like to keep my settings and I am finding out now that it more or less reinstalled a fresh OS with all the default settings as the original version.

:)

tazmo8448, Aug 4, 2016

2. File explorer will not show my pictures

File explorer will not show my picture, but shows icons of the program that they're in. I've tried several suggestions, but none have worked for me. This happened after the latest anniversary update on Windows 10. I need to see my pictures instead of icons.
    Please help.

djane515_54, Aug 4, 2016
  3. Will In-Place Upgrade of Windows 10 to Anniversary Update Remove My Files and Programs?

Hi!

Will in-place upgrade of my Windows 10 to Anniversary Update using Media Creation Tool delete my installed programs and files?

Thanks!

John Wilmer Castillo, Aug 4, 2016
  4. Mystere Win User

If you cleaned up your Windows.old folder, then they are probably gone. Sometimes the upgrade doesn't move large folders, so you have to check your old profile to make sure everything was moved before deleting it.

Mystere, Aug 4, 2016
  5. tazmo8448 Win User
    Thanks Mystere I was kinda afraid that was the deal...odd that this update would do that when the other two didn't.

tazmo8448, Aug 4, 2016
  6. Have never seen picture, music or videos disappear using disk cleanup. Not saying it can't happen though. Maybe a data recovery tool will get them back as they are more likely to just have been hidden somehow. Third party data recovery necessary for this. If you try a data recovery tool leave everything as is on your drive until you have recovered your pics. This means do not re install the win 10 until you do the pic recovery. DO NOT FORMAT YOUR DRIVE and then try the data recovery.

lopedoggie, Aug 4, 2016
  7. tazmo8448 Win User
    It wasn't the disk cleanup that did it....it was the update. Since posting this I went back to Macrium and did a full restore prior to the update and all was there....so....I went to My Pictures copy>pasted them to several externals [usb & ext_hdd] re-ran the update and My Pictures was again showing an empty folder. Haven't ran Disk Cleanup yet. Also looked in the Windows.old directory and the pictures weren't listed either....somehow the 'update' erases/deletes them on my pc. Those files are only 300 or so mb and I have other things that are much larger that remained after the update...like My Documents, Downloads etc etc so it can't be the file size as they are larger.

All I can say is it happened.... and to put it out there that if you have some things you really want to hold on to be sure to back 'em up so you don't have to go through what I did.

It makes one wonder what else was done unbeknownst...

tazmo8448, Aug 4, 2016
  8. RolandJS Win User

"...Took A Memory Course Once....Then I Forgot Where I Put My Book..." It's, on the bookshelf, right next to your other book: "SciFi Guide to Windows 10 Operations."

RolandJS, Aug 4, 2016
  9. tazmo8448 Win User
    I'll be glad when this version of Windows becomes 'stable'......

tazmo8448, Aug 4, 2016
  10. mikolajek Win User
    Hi, I had similar issue, also picture-related. Meaning that my profile pics and available wallpapers were also gone. It looks update mechanism doesn't deal too well with image files...

mikolajek, Aug 4, 2016
  11. dawesi Win User
    That's like saying, I saw a starfish on the beach, all starfish must be alergic to water. Profile pics and wallpapers aren't stored like your pictures folder in Windows.

Having said that it's not just pictures, people have had their entire profiles wiped out (which is where your computer stores images also in the pictures folder)... so just losing pictures is 'not bad'... but also not good.

OSX does the same for the last 5 versions corrupts any Exfat or NTFS drive on the system on every update. Their solution was to disable NTFS from writing, then totally removed the driver, wrote another which was worse... so all OS's have their issues... OSX with drivers now, windows with updates...

dawesi, Aug 20, 2016
  12. tazmo8448 Win User
    Would like to add one thing...when I re-installed the OS using Macrium, then did the update again; the update once again took out the pictures in the Picture Library. So it was definitely a bug in the update as far as it concerned this PC. I'm thinking it has something to do with the app that creates and uses and show pictures. Even though I use Windows Photo Viewer an not the new app.

BTW the photos were not in the Window.Old folder either...

tazmo8448, Dec 10, 2016
  13. Bree New Member

At the beginning of the year my Pictures folder held 4.75GB of photos. They all came through the Anniversary Update intact.

14. tazmo8448 Win User
    Don't know why my update did what it did, probably never will know. But it did. I'm happy glad others didn't suffer the same fate but that didn't change the fact. I also recreated the loss by restoring to a prior date and running the update again. But as stated when restored put all the photos [some heirlooms and some irreplaceable] on external drives along with several USB's, just to be on the safe side. Didn't have that many but what I had I wanted.
    Have seen others have issues that I didn't have, but never felt a need to tell them...'gee that didn't happen to me' or 'I didn't have that problem' nice to know but not really helping...if you get my drift.

tazmo8448, Dec 10, 2016
  15. Steve C Win User
    Steve C, Dec 10, 2016
Thema:

1. Anniversary Update Deleted My Pictures Files - Similar Threads - Anniversary Update Deleted

2. Picture program deleted with update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Picture program deleted with update: My windows 10 laptop did an automatic update that changed my start up screen and deleted my picture program along with my pictures, is there a way to undo the update? Thank You for ay help offered!...
  3. Picture program deleted with update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Picture program deleted with update: My windows 10 laptop did an automatic update that changed my start up screen and deleted my picture program along with my pictures, is there a way to undo the update? Thank You for ay help offered!...
  4. Picture program deleted with update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 Update deleted all my pictures and files

Windows 10 Update deleted all my pictures and files: Windows automatically updated my computer and all my files are gone. I did not realize this until well after so I cannot just revert back to my previous as it is too late. I've tried looking for the .old file and there is nothing in it. I had pictures from 4 years+ on my...
  6. deleting picture files on usb

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    deleting picture files on usb: I just recently got this new computer with windows 10. On my previous computer I could view pictures from an SD card via a usb drive and delete the ones I did not want. How can I do this on Windows 10. Its automatically showing them on a media player with no option to delete....
  7. Latest Update deleted my pictures

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Latest Update deleted my pictures: So I just updated to the latest version of Windows 10 and it was so nice as to get rid of all of my pictures except for the Uplay folder containing two screenshots for some weird reason I do not understand. I don't understand how this can happen when all I did was to allow...
  8. recent update deleted my pictures and outlook

recent update deleted my pictures and outlook: my computer updated Saturday and deleted all my pictures and Outlook, it deleted my favorites and passwords. Tried restore and it just causes more problems. help...
  9. Anniversary Update Account picture

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Anniversary Update Account picture: Anniversary Update I have account picture in lock screen when I need a password to login.If I use no password needed to login I have no picture. Is there a fix for this or is it a bug? 58619
  10. W10 Anniversary Update - delete windows.old directory?

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Anniversary Update - delete windows.old directory?: One me time! After installing the Anniversary Update I cannot delete the "windows.old" folder. I have gone through the routine of System Settings>Storage>This PC>Temporary Files and checked the Previous Version of Windows. That did the job and cleared out everything except a...