Windows 10: Anniversary Update fails without reason, will stick to the old version

Discus and support Anniversary Update fails without reason, will stick to the old version in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Used the Windows Media Creation tool for the Anniversary Update All went well, but in the end a simple "Windows 10 installation has failed" No... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by tfwul, Sep 6, 2016.

1. tfwul Win User

Anniversary Update fails without reason, will stick to the old version

Used the Windows Media Creation tool for the Anniversary Update
    All went well, but in the end a simple "Windows 10 installation has failed"
    No reason, I just returned to my 10586.545 desktop.

Frankly as I expect such things to happen, I always create a Windows image right before
    starting such 'bigger' upgrades.
    Restored the image so to make sure there is nothing left there from the failed 1607 upgrade
    there that might cause conflicts.

Maybe, one day, MS has a fix, or I may try to do a fresh install, some time in future.

But right now, 10586.545 is running fine.
    Personally I don't have the time (read: interest) to start off spending hours on trying to
    find possible solutions / workarounds.

Later...
    if you don't need the 'new features', like:
    Sync your phone notifications to your PC
    New Skype app
    Bash in Windows
    Windows 10 apps on Xbox One
    Windows Hello for apps and websites
    Dark theme and UI tweaks
    Cortana improvements
    Microsoft Edge extensions
    Windows Ink

and if 10586.545 is running fine, well, maybe one should consider the motto:
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it..."

=

Anniversary Update fails without reason, will stick to the old version [​IMG]

=

:)

tfwul, Sep 6, 2016
  2. Perchede Win User

Windows 10 Anniversary update (1607) from ISO hangs at 2% in SAFE_OS

I used the media creation tool during this fail.

The only USB devices were Standard Keyboard and Mouse Plus the USB2 stick with the Media on it.

There are no other external devices.

I had previously tried with the get anniversary update tool, This failed somewhere (I was not watching it) and restored, without leaving a failure reason or any record in the Windows update log.

Perchede, Sep 6, 2016
  3. When the new Anniversary update for windows 10 is released do I have to make a new usb stick with recovery media

HI I guess I should make this clear I am not testing the beta builds of the anniversary update of windows 10 I am just a regular customer waiting for the final release of the Anniversary update of windows 10. So their is something I do not understand
    fully so when the anniversary update installs on my all ready lasted edition of windows 10 and say I have a problem with my desktop computer witch has windows 10 and I use the recovery usb stick in my computer to fix my desktop computer wont the old version
    of the windows 10 that is on the usb stick wipe out the anniversary update and wont i end up with the old version of windows 10 that I have on the usb stick right now. Am I right or wrong.

Thanks for the advice appreciate it a lot.

Howard_35_78, Sep 6, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Good thinking.. and MS is still to issue some fixes for problems plaguing people. If you have Pro - just defer upgrades. Sadly there are numerous update failure reports.

There is a log, of course.. or supposed to be.. but in a similar situation someone couldn't find any current info. Hmm.

dalchina, Sep 6, 2016
  5. tfwul Win User
    Windows 10 x64 as a virtual machine (VMware Workstation) - does upgrade ...
    So, the VM version is upgraded, whilst the host is still 10586.545 and doesn't upgrade
    (check for updates says Windows is up to date)

Funny... apparently something is holding back the update/upgrade.

Note: Settings at 'Choose how updates are installed" - Automatic (Recommended)

=

tfwul, Sep 17, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    You can try looking for log files for your original failed attempt..
    Windows Setup Log Files and Event Logs

Not everyone has been offered the anniversary upgrade yet, it seems.. still being phased.. at least that's the assumption. Meanwhile there have been some smaller updates since, and one of several hundred Mb a few days ago.

Presumably you haven't chosen to defer the upgrade (if you have Pro e.g.)

dalchina, Sep 17, 2016
  7. altae Win User
    My guess is that some software or driver installed on your pc is blocking the upgrade. Too bad the error message does not state what exactly has caused the upgrade to fail. Is there any exotic hardware installed?

Sometimes customization and/ or tweak tools can also cause trouble with upgrades. Do you use any kind of tweak tools? Or did you move your personal files? I had a problem once upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 because I had moved my personal files from C to another hard disk.

altae, Sep 17, 2016
  8. cytherian Win User

Strange, that failure message dialog. I wouldn't get that. The screen would refresh and then just tell me "Restoring previous version of Windows...". I'd get the error message after logging in subsequently, with a dialog displaying the error code. Like this:

Anniversary Update fails without reason, will stick to the old version [​IMG]

I was on build 10240, RTM. The original. And I could not apply the AU via automatic update or via the ISO. I used the Media Creation Tool as well... and that didn't work either.

I ended up installing the last ISO prior to the AU, which is version 1511, build 10586.589. THAT WORKED.

I'm not going to manually apply the 1607 ISO at this point. I suspect there are defects in the installer for it that don't cover some software scenarios and just fails. I'm going to wait for Microsoft to fix the problems before letting it attempt the AU via automatic update.

cytherian, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Anniversary Update fails without reason, will stick to the old version - Similar Threads - Anniversary Update fails

2. Windows anniversary version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows anniversary version: I have install windows 10 pro 1607 version for my pc. After install installation graphic card drivers not detect in computer manager and when i manually install graphics drivers then it will have error as follow , “this drivers not compatible with current windows version”. I...
  3. Anniversary update failed - After, no updates available?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Anniversary update failed - After, no updates available?: I just updated my 64-bit PC with the anniversary update, as confirmed by the changes to the notification at far right, and all programs showing on the start menu. But then, I tried the update on my 32-bit PC, which I started and let run while away from it. When I came...
  4. Installed Anniversary Update on SB, Windows Updates are failing

Installed Anniversary Update on SB, Windows Updates are failing: Hello all, I installed the Anniversary Windows 10 update from scratch on my Surface Book. After installing all the Surface Book drivers, I ran Windows Update and it downloaded and wanted to install more device drivers. Most of those drivers failed to install and it...
  5. Anniversary Update Restoring back to Last version.

Anniversary Update Restoring back to Last version.: Hello Has anyone here had the problem with windows 10 anniversary edition restoring back to the last version? My machine took a half hour downloading and installing. All looked fine but just when I thought it was done I got the message "Restoring to previous version" After...
  6. WIN anniversary update automatically reverting to old version

WIN anniversary update automatically reverting to old version: I have tried several times to update to the anniversary update, and at the start, everything is going fine. the update installs correctly, and is working fine. but when i try to turn off the computer, it won't. the screen goes black, but 30 seconds later if i touch the mouse,...
  7. Anniversary to Creator update fails with 0x80070652?

Anniversary to Creator update fails with 0x80070652?: So, I have a problem on 1 machine. With the upgrade assistant the update stops with error code 0x80070652 Running from usb drive from windows it looks okay and reboots a few times, but at the last step it just shuts off. After restarting theres a quick error I did not...
  8. Anniversary update fails

Anniversary update fails: I'm helping a friend with her Toshiba laptop. It came with Windows 7 and she had updated it to windows 10 but could not update to the anniversary version. The anniversary update repeatedly failed for me too. So I did a sfc/scannow which found errors and fixed them. I...
  9. Text highlight not sticking - Post Anniversary Update Issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Text highlight not sticking - Post Anniversary Update Issue: Immediately following the Anniversary Update, I have been experiencing issues with text highlighting. Left click text highlighting rarely 'sticks', or stays highlighted after releasing the left mouse button. Right click text highlighting doesn't highlight text at all....
  10. Wrong version of Anniversary?

in Windows 10 Support
    Wrong version of Anniversary?: I went to the nVidia website to download a new driver for my TITAN BLACK GPU, and it said there that my OS is Anniversary 32 bit! But on my computer, in SYSTEM INFORMATION, and in SPECCY, it says, WINDOWS 10 PRO, (which I'm supposed to have)! Can anybody tell me what's going...