Windows 10: Anniversary update footprint, windows 10 pro

Discus and support Anniversary update footprint, windows 10 pro in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys, I am curious - I have on both my business laptop windows 10 with the anneversery update and on my home laptop as well. I am curious,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Marko1401, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Marko1401 Win User

Anniversary update footprint, windows 10 pro

Hi guys,

I am curious - I have on both my business laptop windows 10 with the anneversery update and on my home laptop as well.

I am curious, which has the least foot print?

My home laptop pro version seems to take roughly 18GB in space. On my business laptop, there is 9.8GB of space needed by windows (Enterprise edition).

Which windows version takes the least space, or is that related?

:)

Marko1401, Sep 4, 2016
  2. riderhood Win User

Space for Anniversary Update

I have a small footprint PC about the size of a phablet with only 32 gigs but expandable with micro card. Anyway to download Anniversary Update with only 32 gigs? I am running Windows 10 now. Thanks.

riderhood, Sep 4, 2016
  3. JWS4939 Win User
    Windows 10 Pro Anniversary Update

I recently received the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. For some reason the update failed. I went to my setting/update & security/check for updates (learn more). That took me to "Get Windows 10 Anniversary Update". My question is, will this be the Windows
    10 Pro Anniversary update? Or is the Windows 10 and Windows 10 Pro the same update? If not, how can I retry the Windows 10 Pro update?

JWS4939, Sep 4, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, what exactly are you looking at- just the Windows folder? Or more?
    FWIW, my Windows folder is 13Gb disk space, 18Gb in size.

There's also a hidden Drivers folder of about 4Gb on C:

dalchina, Sep 4, 2016
  5. lx07 Win User
    Enterprise and Pro are pretty much the same size. They might be exactly the same size but it is a while since I converted from one to the other and I can't remember.

What makes far more of a difference is whether you have compression enabled, the size of your RAM (which affects hiberfil.sys if you have hibernation enabled) and your usage (Your pagefile.sys file is based on RAM and will grow if your applications request more RAM than you have).

FYI my clean install of 10 Pro AE (compressed) uses just under 4GB plus another 1.9GB for my pagefile. I have hibernation disabled.

Default compression settings depend on the size and type of your disk. If you have a small SSD it will be on by default. If you have a larger disk it will not. You can turn it on and it will save you about 3GB - see Compact OS - Compress or Uncompress Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

If you are interested you can use treesize free to see what is taking space but it reports compressed size completely wrong so bare that in mind.

lx07, Sep 4, 2016
  6. Marko1401 Win User
    Anniversary update footprint, windows 10 pro [​IMG]

Thats the business laptop.

My personal is roughly 18GB, will update.

I have no idea how you managed to get win under 4gb.

Marko1401, Sep 4, 2016
  7. lx07 Win User
    Compressed it as per the link above. I also compressed some other directories manually as my disk is very small. With TreeSize Free it looks like this (have installed Office now so it has grown a bit).

Anyway from your picture above you have 3.16GB of Hiberfil.sys (which you could lose if you don't use hibernation).

You have 3,69GB of restore points (this shows as System Volume Information in my picture above. You could remove some or all of these.

Your Virtual Memory (1.89GB) looks pretty normal - I'd leave it alone unless you are short on space. (Virtual Memory is shown as pagefile.sys file under Files above).

Anyway as I understood it you were asking if Pro and Enterprise were different sizes and the answer is still (as far as I remember) no, not significantly - the difference will most likely be down to this stuff (and what you have installed). I could be wrong though in which case you could check what is taking the space with TreeSize as it would be interesting I think.

lx07, Sep 4, 2016
  8. Marko1401 Win User

This one is from my private laptop. As you can see its over 17GB and I have no clue why the other is 9GB and this one is this big.

Don't think I am not reading your replies, just in a hurry. Will respond and thank you for your feedback

Marko1401, Sep 4, 2016
  9. Marko1401 Win User
    Yeah,

Marko1401, Sep 5, 2016
  10. lx07 Win User
    So I wanted to check I was telling you the truth not spreading FUD and as I had too much time on my hands this morning and thought it was interesting here are the results...

Here are 3 clean installs if 10 Pro (AE), Enterprise and, as I don't know wht Enterprise you have installed, Enterprise LTSB (which doesn't have all the useless apps installed).

I installed all on the same hardware and only installed TreeSize Free.

10 Pro

Enterprise

Enterprise LTSB

So you can see that the Windows directory is about the same (but not exactly - Pro > Enterprise > Enterprise LTSB). LTSB was much less in "C:\Program Files" as it doesn't have all the solitaire games and whatnot.

This doesn't account for your massive major difference in the Windows directory though - you'll have to check it out with TreeSize or something. The most obvious places that there would be a difference in C:\Windows (assuming no compression) that I can think of from the top of my head are:

C:\Windows\Software Downloads (which keeps Windows updates for a while)
    C:\Windows\Assembly (if you have installed .Net this can be big)
    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository (you may have many old or big drivers - especially display drivers can be big)
    C:\Windows\Temp (temp stuff - there are other temp locations too).
    C:\Windows\Installer (.msi packages - for example if you have any version of Office installed you'll have huge .msi for MS access even if you don't use it or even have it installed)
    C:\Windows\Fonts (as you'd expect, fonts)

Anyway, of you are interested you'd have to track down the difference yourself but to answer definitively your question, no, give or take a GB the C:\Windows directories are more or less the same size. Pro isn't (much) bigger than Enterprise on a standard install.

11. Marko1401 Win User
    Hi. Very to point and quality info. I will check it later on and see what's up. So win is roughly about 12GB.
    I must have some bloated version, or full of useless driver caches....

Will report back, Thanks.

Marko1401, Sep 5, 2016
  12. lx07 Win User
    Windows 10 Pro is the bloated version but it is only 300MB bigger than Enterprise and only 1.3GB bigger than LTSB (I'm talking about the windows directory here).

Drivers, temp files, Downloads would explain some differences but in a working system but you should never have an extra 8GB here - it seems a bit much...

Have a look with TreeSize - you should find it easily. You may have some process writing huge amounts to log or temp files - it happens...

13. Marko1401 Win User

Yeah, windows being windows....

This is what it looks like for me, now.

Marko1401, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Anniversary update footprint, windows 10 pro - Similar Threads - Anniversary update footprint

2. Windows 10 Anniversary update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Anniversary update: Please bear with me.. I'm on my phone.. the Anniversary update must have taken over my computer. But.. is 5 hours normal? It did restart like it said a couple of times and the last percentage I saw was 59%, then the reboot again. It is "still" working on something. The circle...
  3. Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Windows 10 Anniversary Update: Everything seems to be running OK, but computer takes longer to shutdown.Has anyone else notice this ? 64111
  4. Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Windows 10 Anniversary Update: My system shows Ver 1511 10586.545, Anniversary update never comes up when I update daily? Running Windows10 64 bit Pro,should I just keeping checking for update. 62357
  5. Windows 10 anniversary update

Windows 10 anniversary update: Hi all this update is killing me I called MS they downloaded it agene for me .I get freezing and bsod every time I play a game and sometimes at idle I updated, repaired every game I have . I am tempted to buy windows10pro and block updates if I can. sorry for the rant I am...
  6. Surface Pro 4 issues with Anniversary Update

Surface Pro 4 issues with Anniversary Update: I have a Surface Pro 4, 128GB, i5 CPU. It came with Windows 10 Pro x64 pre-installed. All updates prior to the AU have installed without any hitches. Windows Update hasn't offered me the AU on the Surface, nor on my dual boot desktop. Prior to the upgrade my desktop had...
  7. Windows 10 Anniversary Update download

Windows 10 Anniversary Update download: Where is the best place too get this update,running 1511 now. Want to download to usb for another computer if possible 63540
  8. BSOD windows 10 anniversary update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD windows 10 anniversary update: Hello, Im got BSOD when turn off autocad( autodesk product) Need help Thanks you! Attachment 94404 58999
  9. Windows 10 will not update to anniversary.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 will not update to anniversary.: So , I got a laptop with Windows 10 about a month ago. I had some problems with blue screen and things which happen sometimes but I am fine with it as it doesn't happen that often. Right now , my PC keeps insisting to update to Windows 10 Anniversary edition and everytime...
  10. Windows 10 Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update: I have read other threads on this subject and have not found the solution to my problem in them. The Windows 10 Anniversary Upgrade Assistant Icon appeared on my desktop. I began the process to update and received the error, SOMETHING WENT WRONG (code 0x80070057). Then...