Windows 10: Anniversary Update - high DPI issues

Discus and support Anniversary Update - high DPI issues in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Anyone has come across this and found a solution? Yesterday I updated my OS to the latest build (1607) and since then I've been experiencing strange... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mikolajek, Aug 2, 2016.

1. mikolajek Win User

Anniversary Update - high DPI issues

Anyone has come across this and found a solution? Yesterday I updated my OS to the latest build (1607) and since then I've been experiencing strange problems with fonts display. I use 4K monitor and after the upgrade different UI parts are now not scaled to high DPI at all. Surprisingly they are not repeatable, but rather chosen randomly - once those are desktop icon labels, the other time those are taskbar fonts and/or apps menu bar fonts. All combinations of those are also present.

What hits me is that when I used the previous build (TH2) no problems existed at all. They all started with the latest build and - what's totally crazy - MS claims to have fixed many high DPI display problems in this release...

Anyone can tell me please if there's any way I can deal with it? Any trick at least to reset all settings to default?

:)

mikolajek, Aug 2, 2016
  2. Louie Del Win User

What does the new DPI options do?

Hi,

There are lots of improvements and upgrade made in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, this includes the new DPI options with enhanced feature. To give you an overview of the settings under
    Override high DPI scaling behavior, you can check the following settings and its effects:

Anniversary Update - high DPI issues [​IMG]

• The Application setting was previously referred to as "Disable display scaling on high-DPI settings". It also forces the process to run in per-monitor DPI awareness mode. Windows will be prompted not to bitmap stretch UI
      (User Interface) from the exe in question when the DPI changes.
    • The System setting will bitmap stretch the UI when the DPI changes.
    • The System (Enhanced) setting is for applications that are GDI-based Windows or Graphics Device Interface (GDI) scaling. It will DPI scale the application on a per-monitor basis. This means that application will definitely become per-monitor
      DPI aware.

Feel free to respond if you need more help.

Louie Del, Aug 2, 2016
  3. Hi res dispay - Super Tiny media controls

Unfortunately, there is no good "end-user" solution to this issue. It is caused by a high-DPI scaling issue in VLC. You would be better off contacting them and filing a bug report. They have marked their program as high-DPI aware (in order to avoid
    video quality degradation), while not actually making their program high-DPI aware.

Besides audio/video format support, is there a reason you need VLC over Windows Media Player? I usually try to avoid recommending VLC because of a number of issues, including this one.

Techie007L, Aug 2, 2016
  4. mikolajek Win User

OK, for those who may face the same problems - what has helped me was Winaero Tweaker that has the option to reset all appearance settings to their defaults. After that, all elements are displayed and scaled correctly.

mikolajek, Aug 3, 2016
Thema:

1. Anniversary Update - high DPI issues - Similar Threads - Anniversary Update high

2. High DPI Scaling Issue with Power BI Desktop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    High DPI Scaling Issue with Power BI Desktop: I've started experiencing a high DPI scaling issue for the past two months with just one app on Windows 10 20H2, which ironically is developed by Microsoft: Power BI Desktop. I have HP Elitebook 840 G3 laptop connected to Eizo monitor with 2560x1440 resolution and 150%...
  3. Windows 10 High DPI Tablet Mode Wallpaper issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 High DPI Tablet Mode Wallpaper issue: Hi all, I bought me a new Laptop convertable with an High Dpi Screen 3840x2160. The problem can be seen in the screenshot below. I have no idea what is going wrong here? Anyone having the same issue and perhaps a solution for this? Thanks in advance, Frank [IMG]...
  4. Issues with high DPI and iTunes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with high DPI and iTunes: Hi, Is there anything I can do to alleviate some of the visual issues I am getting with iTunes and a few other programs like Chrome where text and fonts are appearing blurred, bleached out or only partially visible. The text is unreadable for any one or a combination of...
  5. High DPI scaling issue - even "properties" occurs blurry

in Windows 10 Support
    High DPI scaling issue - even "properties" occurs blurry: I recently purchased a laptop running windows 10. It has the latest updates, and both scaling and resolution are set to windows recommended (150% and 1920x1080), but still even windows' inherent popups are blurry (images are attached). Please guide me as to how to fix this...
  6. High DPI scaling issue - even "properties" occurs blurry

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High DPI scaling issue - even "properties" occurs blurry: I recently purchased a laptop running windows 10. It has the latest updates, and both scaling and resolution are set to windows recommended (150% and 1920x1080), but still even windows' inherent popups are blurry (images are attached). Please guide me as to how to fix this...
  7. Anniversary Update and touchpad issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Anniversary Update and touchpad issues: Soon after the windows 10 anniversary update was available I installed it on a Dell D 630. Right away I had issues with the touchpad. Text would be highlighted that I did not select by merely passing the mouse pointer over it. Pages would change without my commands. So I...
  8. Disable dpi scaling for high Dpi for programs doesn't work.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Disable dpi scaling for high Dpi for programs doesn't work.: Hi guys, i really hope that here someone can help me. I'm trying for 2 days to get windows 10 works corrrectly with dpi scaling but nothing. After installation everything is fine but after a while, and some programs installed, something goes wrong. I use rocketdock like dock...
  9. High DPI scaling

in Windows 10 Support
    High DPI scaling: Hey, I bought a 4k screen yesterday and I have this annoying issue with scaling. In 100% I can't see anything, so the solution is windows scaling. The issue is that a lot of programs doesn't work well with this method and makes the app almost unusable. Example:...
  10. Anniversary Update issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update issues: I updated to the Anni version today and I am not 100% impressed with it. Firstly, I couldn't access the menu using left click but using the right click was ok, Secondly, I find that I am unable to open a .pdf in Adobe reader DC for some strange reason? I tried downloading...