Windows 10: Anniversary Update messed up permissions, no longer have write access

Discus and support Anniversary Update messed up permissions, no longer have write access in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; This appears to have been caused by the Anniversary Update that Windows installed last night. Ever since then, my data drive D: has become read-only!... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Maui2Lanai, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Anniversary Update messed up permissions, no longer have write access

This appears to have been caused by the Anniversary Update that Windows installed last night. Ever since then, my data drive D: has become read-only! Oddly enough, I can still make copies of folders but the copies don't contain any files. When I try to delete the folder, I get told I need to provide administrator access (click for screenshot), and then permission from the owner. Of course, I am the owner, and also an administrator. So why can't I delete this??

This screenshot shows the advanced security settings for the folder in question. As you can see, both Administrators and me have Full Control. When I click on the "effective access" tab, it confirms that I have all permissions for this folder, as you can see here.

I've tried logging off and on again, I've tried manually re-setting my account to an administrator. whoami /groups confirms this (screenshot). I even tried using Elias Bachaalany's "Reset Files Permission" tool, all to no avail.

I'm starting to run out of ideas... can anybody help? The owner of the root directory D:\ is SYSTEM, but that doesn't seem wrong. Would really appreciate a tip, in my years of Windows joy and suffering I have never seen anything like this. *Eek Thank you!

:)

Maui2Lanai, Sep 25, 2016
  2. JStemper2 Win User

After the Win 10 Anniversary update network shares are no longer accessible. Why? How do I fix?

After the Win 10 Anniversary update was installed I can no longer access any of my network shares or network storage devices. When I try to access the shares I get an access denied error message.

When I try to access the usb hard drive attached to my Linksys router I also get an access denied error. The drive on the router was accessible to everyone but now is not accessible to anyone that has been subjected to the Anniversary Update mess.

How do I get my shares and NAS back to a point where I can use them?

JStemper2, Sep 25, 2016
  3. External Hard Drive Acess Denied on Windows 10

Same problems...access denied, no permissions to do anything. This is a brand new computer, the issue cropped up when installed the anniversary update. File history and external drive worked before anniversary update. Rolled back to original build, problem
    persists...there are NO viruses or malware present.

NormPeterson, Sep 25, 2016
Thema:

Anniversary Update messed up permissions, no longer have write access

1. Anniversary Update messed up permissions, no longer have write access - Similar Threads - Anniversary Update messed

2. File permissions totally messed up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File permissions totally messed up: I was transferring data from my ssd to another computer, so I plugged in my ssd to another computer using an external drive. When I tried to access the ssd, it gave me "you don't currently have permission to access this folder" so I clicked continue to get permanent access....
  3. Lost access to iTunes ("locked disk or do not have write permissions")

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost access to iTunes ("locked disk or do not have write permissions"): I clicked on my iTunes and received the message in the subject header...haven't made any changes recently or updated iTunes the only thing I can think of is that I recently logged into a website that asked me if I wanted to continue under my email address olive****@gmail.com...
  4. Computer's permissions messed up

Computer's permissions messed up: I downloaded Cisco WebEx Meetings for an interview and now my computer's permissions are all messed up. I am unable to access things that require administrator access like command prompt. I was also unable to run an executable I downloaded, update one of my games, and can't...
  5. Don't have write permission

Don't have write permission: Hello. My operating system is Windows 10 Home. It's default operating system when I bought my laptop from official store. First of all, I don't know is it my real problem or not , but most probably it is write permission, I guess. So I want to describe my problem precisely....
  6. Don't have write permission

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Don't have write permission: Hello. My operating system is Windows 10 Home. It's default operating system when I bought my laptop from official store. First of all, I don't know is it my real problem or not , but most probably it is write permission, I guess. So I want to describe my problem precisely....
  7. Run Checkdisk without messing up the permission?

Run Checkdisk without messing up the permission?: I have a virtual machine in Hyper-V with Active Directory role installed in it. There is a block level storage attached to the VM through iSCSI. The folders inside the iSCSI volume are shared with different user level permissions assigned to each folders. So, I am facing...
  8. After Ann. Update I no longer have permission to access files, games..

in Windows 10 Support
    After Ann. Update I no longer have permission to access files, games..: After updating to the Anniversary Update I no longer have access to my photos, game files, etc. They are located on the same drive (C:\) as WIN 10. Here is the mssg in the window that pops up: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the...
  9. Command prompt font messed up after Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Command prompt font messed up after Anniversary Update: Hi, I have installed the Anniversary Update a couple days ago. Everything went fine and I faced no problem at all. However, my command prompt font was changed to SimSum-ExtB (the font which often found on Chinese product). I right-clicked on the title bar > Properties and...
  10. messed up permissions windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    messed up permissions windows 10: Hello all, Dave here. I have done something that I have done before, with windows 7 on down. I had a laptop that had a broken power port, and the battery went dead. I ordered a new power socket. While I was waiting for parts, the owner wanted files off of it. I removed hard...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 june update 2019 messed up account permissions