Windows 10: Anniversary update reverts personalized settings

Discus and support Anniversary update reverts personalized settings in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After upgrading Windows 10 Pro version 1511 to 1607 (which is in fact a true in-place upgrade of Windows) I noticed that several of my personalized... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by clipper87, Aug 2, 2016.

1. clipper87 Win User

Anniversary update reverts personalized settings

After upgrading Windows 10 Pro version 1511 to 1607 (which is in fact a true in-place upgrade of Windows) I noticed that several of my personalized settings are reverted to their default values! What a disaster although I consider myself lucky because I carefully document every setting of my PC.

Here's some of the settings that were reverted:

In All Settings / Update & Security / Advanced options
    I had selected "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows" but after the anniversary update the setting was deselected

I had set the value of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop to 1 to paint the version on my desktop but after the anniversary update the setting was set back to 0

Apps I had uninstalled via a PowerShell command such as 3D builder , Get Office (while Office 2016 WAS ALREADY installed!) etc are again installed

I had removed the Fax , XPS printers , the anniversary update brought them back

In control panel / System / Advanced System settings / System Protection was enabled for drive C: , after the anniversary upgrade it was disabled again

In All settings / Time & Language / Set Timezone automatically was set to ON but the upgrade reverted it to OFF

The Store icon was again pinned to my taskbar after the upgrade

Control Panel / Autoplay was set to "Ask me every time" for both Removable drives & Memory Cards; after the upgrade it was set to "Choose a default"

IE11 again started with the option to use or not use recommended settings, I previously selected not to use recommended settings & then only selected to turn on Smart Screen filter; the upgrade disabled the Smartscreen filter

Control Panel / Sound / Recording / Internal Microphone / Properties / Advanced: I had disabled audio enhancements but the upgrade re-enabled the setting.

So it's quite a pain to upgrade because you can't be sure how your PC is actually configured after the upgrade... It can actually be dangerous imho.

What could be causing this ? I'm simply working in a workgroup environment.

:)

clipper87, Aug 2, 2016

2. Unable to find the Glance screen settings on Lumia 650

Glance Screen settings have moved under personalization(settings>personalization>glance screen) after the anniversary update.

Stranger_Hanyo, Aug 2, 2016
  3. Jonnermw Win User
    Windows 10 update to 1607

I have had problems with the Anniversary Update in that the Lan driver did not work, Realtex have now released an Anniversary version of the driver.

So the question is:

If I install the Anniversary update 1607 via the media creation tool will I be able to revert to ver 1511 using the recovery option in Settings Update And Security.

Thank you

Jonnermw, Aug 2, 2016
  4. Bastet Win User

Yes I too noticed several things had returned to default settings. I noticed too that SR was off on C & the 'give me updates for other MS products' had to be enabled too. I haven't checked fast boot but I suspect that's been enabled again too.

Bastet, Aug 2, 2016
Thema:

1. Anniversary update reverts personalized settings - Similar Threads - Anniversary update reverts

2. Settings revert after Windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings revert after Windows update: Everytime Windows 11 updates, settings and functions no longer work the way I had them set up. For example, there is some issue with linking to help in excel. I keep getting an error message "Something went wrong. Please check your network connection and try again". I fixed...
  3. Settings revert after Windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Settings revert after Windows update: Everytime Windows 11 updates, settings and functions no longer work the way I had them set up. For example, there is some issue with linking to help in excel. I keep getting an error message "Something went wrong. Please check your network connection and try again". I fixed...
  4. Windows Updates and Personal Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Updates and Personal Settings: Windows changed my PC settings, PC goes to sleep after about 1 minute inactivity, and even though I keep resetting it back to “NEVER” it still goes to sleep! And now I can’t sign back in with just my password, it is asking me to set a PIN, I also have PIN required setting set...
  5. Anniversary Update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anniversary Update?: How do I upgrade from Win10 Home to the Anniversary ver? I am currently at the 2004 ver, I understand Anniversary was released in 2006. Do all subsequent updates carry the anniversary update and its features? If not, how would I go about upgrading to it? Thank you. 157468
  6. My personalized display settings keep reverting back to Windows default

in Windows 10 Customization
    My personalized display settings keep reverting back to Windows default: Hello - My personalized settings for background pictures keep reverting back to the Windows 10 defalt, Windows Spotlight. This happens every day, throughout the day. I switch it to slideshow and it will pull up the pictures from my selected folder as expected but then...
  7. Window's update reverted to 2015 settings

Window's update reverted to 2015 settings: On July 2 we went to bed and the computer was logged off functioning perfectly. On July 3 I opened the computer and all the settings were changed. There was a windows update that ran at 1 AM. The up reverted the windows to November 2015 settings. For example, my FIREFOX had...
  8. Windows Update + Personalized Settings?

Windows Update + Personalized Settings?: Hi, Near end of automatic windows-update, I got black screen with little with box in upper left corner, with message, "Personalized Settings. Setting up personalized settings for windows desktop update." -that stayed on screen for few minutes, and Updates were then...
  9. WIN anniversary update automatically reverting to old version

WIN anniversary update automatically reverting to old version: I have tried several times to update to the anniversary update, and at the start, everything is going fine. the update installs correctly, and is working fine. but when i try to turn off the computer, it won't. the screen goes black, but 30 seconds later if i touch the mouse,...
  10. Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update: How can I tell if I have received the "Anniversary Update"? 60115