Windows 10: Anniversary Update: Search not working properly

Discus and support Anniversary Update: Search not working properly in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After the Anniversary update (version 1607 via Windows Update), Search doesn't work properly. (I have re-started again). If I enter a search term... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Stevekir, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Stevekir Win User

Anniversary Update: Search not working properly

After the Anniversary update (version 1607 via Windows Update), Search doesn't work properly. (I have re-started again). If I enter a search term ("Restore") on search bar next to the Start Button I get Best match: "Recovery, Control Panel" at the top of the window, but if I click on it it is unresponsive (except for turning pale grey). I get a message at the top "These results may be incomplete ..." which expands to "Some results aren't quite ready yet, but we are working on it. Try again in a few minutes". REALLY!! That was 5 hours ago! All other other search terms involving the Windows OS is the same.

Also, If I search for "Control Panel", the list of Control Panels is found immediately and then I have to search manually for the required subject like in Windows 7, but it does not even include Windows Update.

However, if I enter a search term like "carpeting" (which I know is inside the text of a letter I have sent, buried two folder levels deep) it is found immediately.

It seems that my Anniversary update cannot search itself from the Search Bar level. It could before. HELP!

:)

Stevekir, Aug 2, 2016

2. Cortana not working properly.

Cortana work properly when I installed windows 10 anniversary update but nowadays Cortana not recognize my voice properly and even it won't tell a joke. it wan't answer the questions everything I search it directly redirect to the Bing search on Edge browser.
    So please help me how can I resolve this problem. My current windows version is 1607 (Build 14393.105)

AkshaykumarPatel, Aug 2, 2016
  3. [Win+C is Win+Shift+C now] Windows 10 1607 (Anniversary Update): Cortana slowly stops responding to voice input. Win+C shortcut doesn't work as well

This updated command [Win+Shift+C] should pop-up at the top of any internet search. Why was this so hard to find? Or at least after the anniversary upgrade it should give you a very brief overview of a simple change like that. Otherwise, everyone thinks
    your software no longer works properly and that some upgrades can't be trusted to complete properly.

MichaelMautz, Aug 2, 2016
  4. Stevekir Win User

LATEST NEWS: I visited my computer shop about this and after searching found it is a known bug. (Perhaps it affects only some machines). What might have happened is that despite their beta testing etc, the bug was discovered at a very late stage and rather then delay the Anniversary Update they hastily inserted the message (see above). Probably the right thing to do, given the circumstances. He said to just wait and MS will produce a bug fix which they will probably do - in contrast to my experience of Apple where bugs and quirks can remain for ever without even an acknowledgement of their existence.

Using Settings to search for update produces (see attachment).
    Anniversary Update: Search not working properly [​IMG]

http://www.windowscentral.com Search for Anniversary update problem He found my bug but when I search on my machine there was no mention of it.

Stevekir, Aug 4, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    "Some results aren't quite ready yet, but we are working on it. Try again in a few minutes"
    - usually seen if searching Settings, when you have a mismatch in language configuration.

Suggest you try searching Settings, and see what you get, and also check (Control Panel, Indexing options) - which can be reached if you can search for 'search' in Settings or via e.g. Windows key + X- that indexing is complete.

dalchina, Aug 5, 2016
  6. Stevekir Win User
    That'd bad news. I got the impression it was a bug and MS would issue a cure soonish. Your post implies that my Anniversary update was not properly installed. Is that correct?

Also, can I please have some help in "Searching Settings". I opened Search > Time and Language and got (please see the attachment). Does it look correct? Where else can I look to see a language mismatch?

Thanks.

Stevekir, Aug 5, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, it's unlikely the upgrade isn't properly installed. I think your default language started as US, you've changed the display language to UK, as I have, but you will find a couple more steps necessary to complete that including a couple of language related downloads e.g. speech.

If you launch Cortana, you will probably find a relevant message.

Also check Region and language.

It's unfortunate MS has not made changing language wizard-based so you are led thru the complete process.

When complete, you should find Cortana has (post anniversary upgrade) 3 icons at the top, 2 at the bottom on th LHS and search in Settings works.

dalchina, Aug 6, 2016
  8. Stevekir Win User

Dalchine:

Thanks, but I get nowhere.

You say "I think your default language started as US, you've changed the display language to UK, as I have, but you will find a couple more steps necessary to complete that including a couple of language related downloads e.g. speech." I am certain I did not change any language related settings. Settings > Language options > Speech settings > Speech language is set to "English (United Kingdom). (I don't want ever to talk to my computer.)

You say "If you launch Cortana, you will probably find a relevant message." I don't know how to launch Cortana. I think it is active because I can ask it normal-type questions such as "give me all indesign files ending in .indd" and I get a list. If I search for "Cortana" I get "Command your Cortana" which doesn't seem helpful (the other search result is "Cortana Triggers" which results in "The thing you want is not here, we probably don't have it" etc.)

You say "Also check Region and language." I can't get to the window that you show but I got the following:.

Settings > Time & Language > Region and Language gets me to the Country or region window (please see the attachment). Clicking on English (United States > Options produces "There are no handwriting options for this language".

Stumped. Any more thoughts?

Many thanks for your time.

EDIT: Indexing Options returns "Indexing complete."

Stevekir, Aug 6, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hello, please confirm you have set your display language to UK English, and have changed no other language settings or downloaded anything related.

If so, you have steps still to complete as I have outlined above.

Whether you wish to talk to Cortana in UK English or not, you will be required to download UK speech to satisfy search and Cortana.

Your error message reported in #1 is absolutely typical of this.

That's what you should aim for.

Launch Cortana: e.g. Windows key + S

Speech: navigation in Settings: open Settings, click Time & Language, click Speech.

dalchina, Aug 6, 2016
  10. Stevekir Win User
    WOW! You are a genius! It worked. This is important to me because the main advantage of Windows 10, for me, is the easy ability to search for terms which involve the OS. Thank you so much.

You'd think that MS could have put a more helpful message in place of "We're working on it!!

Stevekir, Aug 6, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Great.. I've been thru this sequence. Problem is if you do an in-place upgrade repair install language is reset.

Agree.. MS is good at unhelpful messages alas.

dalchina, Aug 6, 2016
  12. Phendan Win User
    I'm a little lost. I'm in Germany and I have my language set to English (US) and my keyboard layout set to a German one. Is there some way for me to follow along here and keep both those settings or should I just do another clean install and hope for the best?

Phendan, Aug 7, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

Hi, you need consistency between your display language and speech language (a download). The keyboard setting can be whatever you want.

dalchina, Aug 7, 2016
  14. Phendan Win User
    Thanks for the reply. As far as I can tell I do have consistency and it's not helping, unless I'm missing something.

Phendan, Aug 7, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I made an assumption you were getting "Some results aren't quite ready yet..." which is what this thread started with with the 1st author, but I realise you've not mentioned that.

Do you actually have a problem.. what happens if you
    a. launch Cortana (e.g. Windows key + S) - does Cortana look normal and function normally?
    b. search Settings- does that work?

Otherwise what is it you'd like to fix?
    Thanks!

dalchina, Aug 7, 2016
Thema:

1. Anniversary Update: Search not working properly - Similar Threads - Anniversary Update Search

2. Windows Search not working properly

in Cortana
    Windows Search not working properly: Windows Search is not working properly. In Task Manager/Processes SearchApp.exe is shown as suspended, with a green leaf-type symbol which when hovered over says “This UWP process is suspended to improve system performance”. Under “GPU Engine” it reads “GPU 0 – 3D” In...
  3. Windows Search not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search not working properly: Windows Search is not working properly. In Task Manager/Processes SearchApp.exe is shown as suspended, with a green leaf-type symbol which when hovered over says “This UWP process is suspended to improve system performance”. Under “GPU Engine” it reads “GPU 0 – 3D” In...
  4. Windows Search not working properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. The search is not working properly

in Cortana
    The search is not working properly: Hello, When I trying to find a file so it is doesn't working properly! For example I am trying to find text file thats are located in the desktop: [ATTACH] and it does not work: [ATTACH] Windows Server 2019...
  6. SCSI Communication is not working properly with Windows 10 Anniversary

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SCSI Communication is not working properly with Windows 10 Anniversary: The FAT 16 File system is externally interacting (Connected over USB in the form of Mass storage device)with Windows 10 (Anniversary update Updated PC.) The Communication between Host and client is very slow ,it is not able to transfer adequate data .In windows 7 and windows...
  7. Win10 Anniversary "Search" not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Anniversary "Search" not working: I just noticed that my "Search" function does not work anymore. I press the Start button or the search icon in the taskbar and try to type, but nothing more happens. Any ideas why this might've happened? 66077
  8. Cortana Missing and Search Windows not working after Anniversary Updat

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana Missing and Search Windows not working after Anniversary Updat: Hello, Title says it all. I can't use the search functionality and Cortana is missing. Is there a way to reinstall it? 66038
  9. Windows Search no longer working after Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search no longer working after Anniversary Update: As the title says, my Windows Search has stopped functioning properly after the Anniversary Update. I can click on the bar, and it will bring up an empty window, but as soon as I type in anything, it closes itself. I've read up on some possible methods of fixing it,...
  10. search won't work in anniversary update of windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    search won't work in anniversary update of windows 10: After the Anniversary update (version 1607 via Windows Update), Search doesn't work properly - i no longer have a search icon in my taskbar. i do have a cortana icon. is this by design? - when i try to key something into where it says "ask me anything", i cannot enter any...