Windows 10: Anniversary Update switches off System Protection

Discus and support Anniversary Update switches off System Protection in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; This post is just to let people know something I found after doing the AU. If there is a better place to post it, please feel free to move it. When... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SaggyMaggyPoo, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Anniversary Update switches off System Protection

This post is just to let people know something I found after doing the AU. If there is a better place to post it, please feel free to move it.

When checking I noticed that my Restore Points have all been deleted and System Restore has been reset to OFF. If you want to use it, you need to reset it.

Not to mention all those useless apps I had uninstalled have been reinstalled, and the nice little tricks I installed courtesy of Shawn's many tutorials have disappeared. Oh, and whoever thought they had improved Sticky Notes is seriously mistaken IMHO.

Thanks a bunch Microsoft.*Mad

:)

SaggyMaggyPoo, Aug 13, 2016

2. Windows 10 anniversary problems.

I waited 6 hours for the anniversary to install and then I turned it off until the old system reinstalled itself. It gave the with the following error messages: Could not update as the computer was switched off.

JamesPollitt7, Aug 13, 2016
  3. Since update to W10 Anniversary can't permanent disable the Language Bar.

I'm referring to the icon in the system tray that is turned on & off via:

Setting>Turn System Icons on/Off>Input Indicator.

as I stated in my question.

This appears as ENG next to the date & time at the righthand end of the taskbar.

Expected behaviour before update was to turn this off via setting above & it stays off.

Since the update to Anniversary it returns at each start up & has to be switched off each use of PC.

FrancisWWW, Aug 13, 2016
  4. Anniversary Update switches off System Protection

Thanks SAGGY - would have never realized such a LOUSY thing.....went and found the truth of what u report.....now trying to figure out how to undo this w "screwing da Moose"!

orbeavhawk, Aug 13, 2016
  5. pbcopter Win User
    The default in Windows 10 has always been System Restore off. I don't know why but that is the way it is.

pbcopter, Aug 14, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    Berton, Aug 14, 2016
  7. Mystere Win User
    Every new build has always turned off System Restore. This is nothing new with the Anniversary Update. However, if you haven't been in the insider program, you probably would have only installed one or two versions, and might not have noticed.

My guess is that this is reset because they have to delete all your old restore points (they aren't valid for a new OS version).

Mystere, Aug 14, 2016
  8. Cliff S New Member

Anniversary Update switches off System Protection

Anniversary Update switches off System Protection [​IMG]

I've been thinking for the version upgrades(as opposed to the build updates) only save the user portion of the registry hive(data, and software, and UI customizations), and totally write the system hives over.

(***very simply put, there is quite a bit more to it***)

Cliff S, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Anniversary Update switches off System Protection

1. Anniversary Update switches off System Protection - Similar Threads - Anniversary Update switches

2. System switching off abruptly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System switching off abruptly: some minidump files are added in the drive link.https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16dWM90-8aadAzPnXxTLULvMbLijY7510?usp=sharing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-switching-off-abruptly/b8314ed7-19a9-4e38-bdbe-c67e4938c178
  3. System switching off abruptly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System switching off abruptly: some minidump files are added in the drive link.https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16dWM90-8aadAzPnXxTLULvMbLijY7510?usp=sharing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-switching-off-abruptly/b8314ed7-19a9-4e38-bdbe-c67e4938c178
  4. System switching off abruptly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. System Protection is Off

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Protection is Off: Hello,After the system's upgrade, "System Protection" is (still) Off, so there is no restore point.Since I have "Macrium Reflect" and make in 3 days cycle one full backup then a differential, and so on.If there is a need (sometimes), I restore with Macrium.Is it important to...
  6. System Protection is Off

in Windows 10 Support
    System Protection is Off: Hello,After the system's upgrade, "System Protection" is (still) Off, so there is no restore point.Since I have "Macrium Reflect" and make in 3 days cycle one full backup then a differential, and so on.If there is a need (sometimes), I restore with Macrium.Is it important to...
  7. System Protection ON/OFF differences in Feature updates

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Protection ON/OFF differences in Feature updates: Opinions please. Sometimes I’d like to be able to explain to people I help as to what’s going on. For those whose computers need System Protection to be turned ON, it’s confusing them as to why. Is there rhyme or reason or technicalities as to how it’s determined that some...
  8. Anniversary update vs virus protection software

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Anniversary update vs virus protection software: It looks like Windows 10/anniversary update is not compatible with ESET32 Node 32 Antivirus or with Kaspersky. What antivirus program do you use that doesn't seem to have a problem with win10/AU? 61181
  9. Slow user switch after Anniversary Update

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Slow user switch after Anniversary Update: Ever since the Anniversary Update, I have been experiencing very slow user changes between different accounts. Prior to the update it took 2-3 seconds. Now, when I attempt to switch between different user accounts that are logged in, I timed it at about 18 seconds. During...
  10. System Protection Turned Off

in Windows 10 Support
    System Protection Turned Off: After the upgrade from 8.1 pro to 10, i noticed system protection was turned off. I went ahead and turned it back on and moved the slider back to ten percent. Any reason why the upgrade turned it off? Any reason not to turn it on? Thanks, Mike 9926