Windows 10: Anniversary Upgrade Second_Boot Fail/Error

Discus and support Anniversary Upgrade Second_Boot Fail/Error in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Asus Portable Sonicmaster V500CA. Win8/8.1 upgraded to Win10 version 1511.(latest version as of yesterday. Yesterday the computer downloaded and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by chideock, Sep 13, 2016.

1. chideock Win User

Anniversary Upgrade Second_Boot Fail/Error

Asus Portable Sonicmaster V500CA. Win8/8.1 upgraded to Win10 version 1511.(latest version as of yesterday. Yesterday the computer downloaded and attempted to install 1607. Hung for several hours at a black screen with white dots going in circle, prior to any login. In other words no login. Did some research here and pressed the boot button. Long story short computer finally went to "restoring your previous version of windows" which it did.

Today, Tues Sep 13, did more research and used media creation tool to download to usb and booted the computer from that to install 1607. Same results as above. Got the 1511 version restored. Tried again with fast boot, software and bios, turned off. Same results as above except this time I did get this message "0xC1900101-0x40017 install failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during boot operation". I have looked that up, all instructions relate to 8.1 upgrade to 10.

I have the latest Bios for this computer. I have yet to try with wifi/internet off. Have upgraded to the lastest video driver - Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver 10.18.10.4276 with a generic pnp monitor.

The computer now just did updates for 1511 and my winver is 1511-10586.589. Have not yet tried another 1607 upgrade because these updates started.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

:)

chideock, Sep 13, 2016
  2. Zed_351 Win User

Anniversary Update

anniversary update keeps failing at 85% with this error message 0xC1900101-0x4000D the installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with and error during MIGRATE_DATA operation."

I've uninstalled so many applications but the problem still persists.

Anyone have any ideas?

Zed_351, Sep 13, 2016
  3. Anniversary Update Problem 0xC1900101 - 0x40017

Hello

Im having trouble with upgrading to the anniversary update. Every time I try it gets stuck at a reboot screen somewhere between 50% and 70%. Then when I go back to the previous version of Windows it has an error code that is 0xC1900101 - 0x40017 The installation
    failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation. Please help me with this.

RoryCurran, Sep 13, 2016
  4. shobhitk Win User

Facing exactly the same issue....anybody?

shobhitk, Sep 13, 2016
  5. AEOUserID Win User
    Same failure to upgrade to 1607 on second boot. Mid-2010 Dell with an i7 930 2.8 GHz processor. Win 10 1511 is installed on Crucial 240 Gb M500 SSD.

I am wondering if locating the system folders such as documents, music, pictures and videos to a separate HDD is causing the problem?

AEOUserID, Sep 13, 2016
  6. It is important to have the machine as pristine as possible - as it came out of the box.
    Disconnect all devices that are not necessary (extra drives, printers, wireless mice/keybd, ... etc) If the machine didn't come with the device, disconnect it - when the update completes, connect the devices one at a time (Windows might see them as a new device and install the driver automatically)
    <!>Make sure your machine boots at this point, sometimes the SRP or ESP is on an internal secondary drive and the machine won't boot without that drive connected. If this happens, reconnect the secondary drive and try booting again. Then post a disk management screen shot.

A common issue is disk space - run disk cleanup and then defrag the Windows drive

Once your machine is barebones and the disk space is manageable, try updating with this path:

Download Windows 10

Anniversary Upgrade Second_Boot Fail/Error [​IMG]

Slartybart, Sep 13, 2016
  7. AEOUserID Win User
    Yes, a few hours making sure non-Microsoft services and startup programs disabled, usb mouse and keyboard and only a monitor. More than 1/2 of the SSD is free. Ran disk clean-up and drive is defragmented. Win 10_1607_English_x64.iso was downloaded from Microsoft.

I ran another disk clean-up and tried to install using the link to Windows 10 upgrade, but still not able to upgrade.

AEOUserID, Sep 13, 2016
  8. toolman59 Win User

toolman59, Sep 13, 2016
  9. chideock Win User
    Slartybart
    Thank you for the suggestions. This is what I did.
    I cleaned up the computer to as pristine as a was willing to go. Anything more and I may as well have done a clean install.
    I found out by chance that Asus ATK utility needed to be upgraded. The version I had was apparently not compatible with win10, according to Asus. I upgraded ATK from the Asus website downloads.
    I noticed that my wife's computer upgrade removed Asus Smart Gesture. I uninstalled Asus Smart Gesture from my computer.
    I did uninsall a few other programs and ran ccleaner after to clean up as much as I could.
    I removed my USB wireless mouse.
    There was no other devices attached to the computer. I did an image backup as well.

I then ran the Upgrade assistant as you referenced.

3 hours later I had an upgraded computer running 1607 14393.187

Thank you

chideock, Sep 13, 2016
  10. You're welcome. I'm glad that the issue is resolved.

Slartybart, Sep 13, 2016
  11. shobhitk Win User
    In my case the issue got resolved by removing the usb wireless receiver of my mouse/keyboard. The installation went on smoothly. I am now on 1607.

But now most of the time when i boot my computer, it gets stuck on the black screen with spinning black dots. I have to take out the usb wireless receiver again and again to reach to the login page *Sad

Any solution to this problem?

shobhitk, Sep 14, 2016
  12. shobhitk,

Try removing the receiver and run DriveCleanup to remove nonpresent drives from the registry
    <!> Run as administrator

Restart your machine (always a good idea when you manage hardware)

Connect the receiver

Restart your machine to see if the issue has been resolved.

If the issue is still present, you might have to use Device Manager to uninstall other devices related to the mouse, but I think Drivecleanup will catch those. My universal rcvr (Logitech mouse/keybd) has a bunch of entries under Human Interface Devices.

Slartybart, Sep 14, 2016
  13. jgolafson Win User

I have experienced the same error trying to upgrade to Windows 10 Version 1607 on my HP Probook 4540s. After spending several hours on the phone with MS Support and trying to install upgrade by various methods, the tech support person said the problem was due to the fact I had the physical disk partitioned into two or more logical drives. He said the only solution was to restore the drive to a single partition and reinstall Windows 10 from scratch.

What a bunch of baloney! Why is this MY problem? Why doesn't MS fix the upgrade process so it supports multiple partitions? But that might mean they would have to admit an error. I don't know why I expected more from MicroSquish!

jgolafson, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Anniversary Upgrade Second_Boot Fail/Error - Similar Threads - Anniversary Upgrade Second_Boot

2. xC1900101 – 0x4000D The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    xC1900101 – 0x4000D The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during...: Hello,I currently have Windows 10 Pro installed on my desktop computer. I am trying to upgrade to Windows 11, but I am encountering issues after the installation. After the computer restarts to install the update, it gets stuck at 91% without moving, and after a long moment,...
  3. Upgrade Fails OxC1900101-Ox40017 The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade Fails OxC1900101-Ox40017 The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase: I have a machine running 1909 that fails to upgrade to any newer version. I always get the error: Upgrade Fails OxC1900101-Ox40017 The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phaseI have tried upgrading to 2004, 20H2, 21H1, even over-installing 1909.:Upgrading through Windows...
  4. Error 0xC1900101 – 0x40017, The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase

in Windows 10 News
    Error 0xC1900101 – 0x40017, The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase: [ATTACH]If when you attempt to perform a system upgrade from an older version of Windows 10 to a newer version of Windows 10 and the […] This article Error 0xC1900101 – 0x40017, The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. ...failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase w/ an error during SYSPREP_RESPECIA

...failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase w/ an error during SYSPREP_RESPECIA: Trying to upgrade from 7 to 10. It gets past the download, verify, and install then to the 10 boot process (After a restart) and during updates fails at 85% with the subject error and goes back to 7. I feel if it got to 100% it’d be done. I unplugged all external hardware...
  6. Error: 0xC1900101-0x4000D The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error...

Error: 0xC1900101-0x4000D The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error...: Sorry for the late question but this is frustrating. When there was a free upgrade offer to upgrade Win 7 to Win 10, I immediately take the offer only to find the upgrade failed multiple times and I have tried in 2015 for a few months but all ended up in the failure and...
  7. Error 0x8007002C-0x4001E, The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase

in Windows 10 News
    Error 0x8007002C-0x4001E, The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase: [ATTACH] When upgrading to Windows 10 if you are seeing the following Upgrade Error, it’s a clear cut situation about Windows 10 Upgrade has gone bad. We will look at various solutions which can help you resolve this problem: 0x8007002C-0x4001E, The [...] This post Error...
  8. the upload failed SECOND_BOOT during an MIGRATE_DATA operation with an error

the upload failed SECOND_BOOT during an MIGRATE_DATA operation with an error: Windows 10, sürüm 1803 özellik güncellemesi 3. 09. 2018 - Son yükleme denemesi 0x80240034'te hata oldu. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/the-upload-failed-secondboot-during-an-migratedata/f6fbf353-c253-4ed1-aa07-07f8bac16fd9
  9. Win 10 Upgrade fails - SECOND_BOOT error on MIGRATE_DATA

Win 10 Upgrade fails - SECOND_BOOT error on MIGRATE_DATA: Hi All, I am looking for help PLEASE lol. I have tried and tried to upgrade from WIN 8.1 to 10 with no success. The error that comes up is "0x80070004 - 0x4000D The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation." I have...
  10. The installation failed on the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during

The installation failed on the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during: I'm trying to upgrade my HP Envy 15 J2E89EA from 8.1 Home to 10 Home but it keeps failing with the above message. It also gives me 0xC1900101 - 0x40017. I've been using a Win 64 ISO DVD, I did a windows Update check beforehand but it was already up to date. I've tried...