Windows 10: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14257

Discus and support Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14257 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; From other thread: I've been away for a week. When I booted up 14251 was there and installed with no problem. I decided to clean install today with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Cluster Head, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Edwin New Member

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14257

Just finished. Film at 11.

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14257 [​IMG]

Edwin, Feb 3, 2016
  2. fjk61011 Win User

I cleaned installed in Hyper-V and 14257 is installed now.

fjk61011, Feb 3, 2016
  3. lx07 Win User
    Lots of people are complaining about clean installing being a problem since 14251 on MDL. The workaround is to make an ISO with winre.wim instead of install.wim.

I've done a clean install with winre.wim and it works fine - I didn't try the install.wim as it was known not to work (perhaps it sometimes does but I could see no point in testing it).

4. Joanne Win User

I'd like to add that the Services seem to work fine now - no crashing.

Now...

I'd like to report something else here - because more people will see it - and it has to do with Office 2016. A couple of minutes ago I received an update for my Office 2016 Professional Plus. I use the "standalone" (desktop) version. Nothing to do with the Cloud. Additionally, I am not using an MS account, neither have I ever used an MS account on this installation, it being my main OS since the very beginning.

BEFORE (the update)

AFTER
    (the update)

Does anyone have ANY idea, please, why and how am I all of the sudden an Office 2016 Insider when I have never - ever opted in for something like this?

All this happened on my Main OS, Windows 10 Pro, and not on my Insider Build installation, which I keep on a separate SSD and no software is installed, besides CCleaner Pro and HWiNFO64. Absolutely nothing there.

What are the implications of this change? I do not mind being an Office Insider, as well, as long as EVERYTHING will function PERFECTLY on my Office installation!

Thank you.

Joanne, Feb 3, 2016
  5. Edwin New Member
    System Restore seems to be ON by default with a clean install of Build 14257

Edwin, Feb 3, 2016
  6. Wynona Win User
    Joanne, I noticed you're on "First Release for Current Branch" which equates to the "Fast Ring" on Windows 10. I've been struggling to stay on it! *Smile

If you're comfy going into the registry:

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration and check the CDNBaseURL.
    If you see http://officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/64...6-8840a6a4f5be this is the one that is supposed to give Insider updates.

Edit: Oh, crumb, TF shortened the URL.
    officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/64256afe-f5d9-4f86-8936-8840a6a4f5be

If this one shortens, I'll try something else.

Edit #2: So far, everything Office has worked perfectly for me on this E3 installation.

Another thought: If I'm not mistaken, only those using "Home" O365 are actual Insiders. *Sad My installation is pretty much stand-alone, but I can't get into the Insider program because it's business.

Wynona, Feb 3, 2016
  7. Joanne Win User
    Thank you, Wynona, for your quick response!

So, this means that I was in the "Fast Ring" of Office 2016 from the very beginning and now an update happened to be available so I got it? It is the first time, though, that I see this "Office Insider" in my Office.

I went in my Registry and you are right:

So, is the conclusion that from now on I am an Office 2016 Insider? What good and how much of a help am I going to be though, since Office is installed on my Main OS, which never had and does not use an MS account, and in addition it is fully modified (customized) according to my personal preferences - which "struggle" to cut every possible feedback and information trying to reach the MS servers - and I am succeeding, while the OS functions perfectly - no further comment on this subject.

And is Office going to work flawlessly? Nevermind, rhetorical question, how can anyone possibly know? I'll discover it myself, anyway, since this period I am all into video tutorials on the Office suite (and Lynda.com is amazing!...)

Thank you.

PS: a clean installation is a very nice thing and it takes me only 15 minutes.

Joanne, Feb 3, 2016
  8. Wynona Win User

You're very welcome, Joanne. I just clicked on "update now" and I'm now on the same build as you. *Smile
    Videos are OK as far as they go, but I need printed instructions so I can refer back to them. That said, I do use Professor Teaches a good bit, since I have the DVD and can refer back on that, but it's a chore.

I almost bought an Office 365 In Depth book last night, but it didn't cover Skype for Business nor OneDrive for Business, so I put it back. Sigh . . . Nobody seems to have written anything on those yet. *Sad

Wynona, Feb 3, 2016
  9. Edwin New Member
    This build is pretty snappy, and I've got it on a 'spinner' as a secondary!
    Still quite a few bugs floating around though, but it's early, I'll let it baste awhile! *Wink

Edwin, Feb 3, 2016
  10. All done 14257 installed while I was in bed it's 0:632 been up since 05:30 watching FBN on the TV. I thought I would log onto Windows and check this flight out while Obama makes his want to make make me gag teleprompted gag speech .☻.........14257 Seems to be working fine ( so far ) .

I had to roll back 14251 to 11102 ,14251 did not play nice here and no matter what I did it would not open Chrome. So far this one looks fine and is decently fast *Smile.

blutos cousin, Feb 3, 2016
  11. Apache Open Office 4.1.2 ( free ) is decent and has all the usual office stuff and spread sheets and generally plays nice with MS Word and MS office ,One Drive or Google Docs

I don't know about Skype and O.O. but there is probably an Open Office Wiki there anyway .....One drive is to slow ......I prefer Google DOCS although I did triple my ISP speed Monday for the new 4K 55" Sony XBR TV next to me in here for 4 K HDR Netflix ,You tube and Amazon Prime video ................so maybe it's faster now .:shrug:

I use Open Office on the W10 test builds and all 4 W 10 PC's here with MS Word on them even though I have MS Office 2010 on the other NTFS partition on *this box I use that now and then also .
    OTOH MS Office is more refined and polished than Open Office but O. O. works also.

Apache OpenOffice - Downloads

blutos cousin, Feb 3, 2016
  12. Edwin New Member
    My apologies in advance for any offence taken by the following comment but,
    Edge is still a useless, nonfunctional toy! *Confused

Edwin, Feb 3, 2016
  13. Cliff S New Member

@Edwin, with the sandboxing:
    Still safer than Firefox

Cliff S, Feb 3, 2016
  14. Edwin New Member

Edwin, Feb 3, 2016
  15. Cliff S New Member
    No hard feelings, at least you have a favorite browser. Me? I'm still undecided*chuckle

Cliff S, Feb 3, 2016
Thema:

1. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14257 - Similar Threads - Announcing Insider Preview

2. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20246

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20246: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) View on Twitter Hello Windows Insiders, today we’re releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20246 to Windows Insiders in the Dev Channel.Starting with today’s build, Windows Insiders will notice that the name of the...
  3. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14251

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14251: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Hi everyone, Today, we are releasing Build 14251 Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. Sharp-eyed Insiders likely noted the big jump in build numbers from our last preview build (11102). Historically, the codebase for...
  4. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14279

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14279: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Today, we are releasing Build 14279 to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. Here’s what’s new in Build 14279 Cortana in more languages: With this build, we are enabling Cortana for the Spanish (Mexico), Portuguese...
  5. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10565

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10565: UPDATE 3: Microsoft Releases PC build 10565 to Insiders in the Slow ring today. Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] UPDATE 2: Download: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9...d.html#option3 Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date UPDATE 1: Tweet...
  6. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14316

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14316: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Hi everyone, Today we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14316 to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. At Build 2016 last week, we shared new experiences and new opportunities we’re creating for developers...
  7. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14267

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14267: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Hi everyone, Today, we are releasing Build 14267 to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. Just to quickly recap the changes we’ve made to rings for Insiders in 2016: 1. We introduced the new Release Preview ring last...
  8. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 11099

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 11099: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Hi everyone, Welcome to 2016 and a new year full of new builds for Windows Insiders. Today we have a new PC build we’re releasing to Insiders in the Fast ring: Build 11099. As with the previous build, this build does...
  9. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 11082

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 11082: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Hi everyone, Today we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 11082 to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. With this build, you won’t see big noticeable changes or new features just yet. Right now, the team is...
  10. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10525

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10525: It has been amazing to see the impact that Windows Insiders have made since we launched the program last year. Your feedback has helped us fix bugs and make changes which resulted in a better product because of your input. Thank you to all of the Windows Insiders who have...