Windows 10: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14291 for PC and Mobile

Discus and support Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14291 for PC and Mobile in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; 14291 installed via WU unlike the last build where I had to mount an ISO I made from the Win $BT sources folder > ESD installer . 14291 seems more... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14291 for PC and Mobile

14291 installed via WU unlike the last build where I had to mount an ISO I made from the Win $BT sources folder > ESD installer .

14291 seems more stable than the last few ( so far ) and Chrome x64 hasn't frozen or hung yet , nothing else is hanging ,freezing ,slowing to a crawl , I beaming the mouse pointer or spiking resources so far and I didn't have to re set the Wi Fi network connection ,sound card or LAN we'll see how all that goes with a bunch of Chrome tabs open .& some multi tasking it used to be fine with all that but not lately ............. ?

blutos cousin, Mar 17, 2016
  2. Mystere Win User

Well, so far, not impressed with the extension quantity (3) lol.

Let's hope we start seeing some third party extensions...

Mystere, Mar 17, 2016
  3. 14291 is not bad so far with 32 Google Chrome x64 browsing tabs open a 1080p video and some multi tasking and file moving all at the same time .

I haven't been able to do all that in quite a few test builds prior to this one but in the past it was fine with all that on a lot of test builds or RTM,10586 etc on the other NTFS partition and 14291 is playing nice with all this & Google Chrome x64 for a big change (so far )and smooth (freewheel) fast scrolling is working better in the browsers and windows now like it used to when I bought this fast freewheel or regular click wheel scrolling gaming mouse some months back and the big web pages are loading faster I'm liking so far . *Smile

4. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14291 for PC and Mobile

meh ....I don't use MS web browsers anyway...... IMO they are only good for downloading better browsers ☻☻

5. Fafhrd Win User
    14291 was a late arrival for the UK - after midnight - but I set the update going, restarted and it was up and running when I woke. Looks good so far, Edge extensions unsurprisingly not mind-bendingly interesting.
    I like Edge for one thing in particular - it is the best browser for streaming video on Windows - and this seems to be true for dedicated streaming Windows apps too - desktop browsers ( the usual suspects) are much more prone to buffering issues.

Fafhrd, Mar 17, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    Gabe Aul tweeted about the release five minutes after midnight my time (CET), at 15:05 (3:05 PM) his Redmond PST time, which is 23:05 (11:05 PM) yesterday evening your time. If you got it an hour after the release I wouldn't call that "late arrival" *Smile

Tweet

— Twitter API (@user) date

7. I found out about 14291 at about 15:30 PDT US right here on Ten Forums it's working well so far .

Right I have to agree Edge is good for streaming Video and like IE 11 on Windows 8.1 x64 & windows 10 x64 it supports 1080p Netflix whereas Chrome can only hit 720P on Netflix and often Edge & IE 11 in W 10 work better on the US TV network and embedded web page streams so they ain't all bad .

Sometimes I use them (more often Edge ) for specific PC or PC to TV web video or something not loading in Chrome when I'm not using a Sony Android TV app in the TV or Roku extender to the 4K Sony in here . *Smile

8. jimbo45 Win User

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14291 for PC and Mobile

Hi there

downloaded and installed as a VM.

Plays a bit nasty with VMWARE workstation 12.1 and NVIDIA graphics on Host machine.

1) You can't scroll the screen in Windowed mode on a large monitor with mouse --have to use Keyboard or switch to Full screen mode

2) Can't adjust volume with Mouse -- slider goes back to 0 -- you again have to do it with the keyboard.

3) Playing some Video with VLC -- vertical Green line at one side of the image -- probably due to inconstancies in the screen mapping.

It's more of an annoyance than an impediment -- and this is one of those issues --Is it Windows or is it VMware or is it a problem with the HOST OS (LINUX Centos 7 - which is normally regarded as super stable and reliable (100% compatible with the universally used Red Hat server Enterprise servers around the world).

I'll try running the same VM on a Windows HOST to check if the same problems exist.

BTW problems disappeared on another LINUX Host (also CENTOS 7) with INTEL HD instead of NVIDIA graphics so could be a problem with Nvidia driver on HOST.

(I use PLEX to a Google CHROMECAST device for video streaming -- that works fine for 1080p -- for 4K I'll need something else - but there's almost zilch 4K stuff around at the moment).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 17, 2016
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

What's all this with "Extensions" to browsers -- What actually do they do.

Surely for example if you need to see a video for example on your browser it could simply call and execute VLC or whatever program you have installed on your machine for that purpose --much more secure way of doing it as you keep 100% control over what gets executed on your machine.

I can't say I've ever physically installed an extension or plugin to any browser and I don't seem to lack any functionality on the net when surfing.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 17, 2016
  11. swarfega Win User
    Finally they've replaced that horrible purple in maps.

swarfega, Mar 17, 2016
  12. My 14291 is fine with VLC on a metal install here . I played some 1080P from a movie DVD ISO rip off my USB hdd for the TV in here

I play all that 1080p /DVD rip stuff or D/L and 4K Video straight into the Sony 4K HDR Android TV normally in here from the USB hdd . I Usually stream iptv and Android TV video from inside the TV .

The 4K Sony TV has built in Chromecast but I never used it the TV has an HDMI cable from the PC to the TV and a USB cable from it's external hdd anyway along with the other sources internal apps ,Kodi ,Dish, Roku and OTA .

I've read of some nvidia W10 driver issues and or driver update issues and AMD had plenty also.......

This PC only has an inexpensive HD 6450 /HDMI dGPU in it . I have an nvidia GTX680 in the SB i7 game box/WS it does 1080p ultra well *on what we play here but no 4K * . .

The smooth mousewheel scrolling and edge of page scrolling is way better today than previous test builds *lately * and like it was when I bought this modest Logitech freewheel fast scrolling or click scroll wheel gaming mouse .

You can scroll a lengthy web page with one finger flick of the wheel if U want in the mouse freewheel setting I keep it there .

I just remembered I saw a green line like you mentioned a good while back a few times in VLC and IIRC it may have been a transient thing or only ( *some 4K downscaled to 1080p stuff * from the PC ) here but I haven't seen it since and all the 4K goes straight as is into the TV now .

FWIW Daum Pot Player x64 for PC and Newest Kodi ( x86 or Android ) are way better 4K players than VLC and Kodi might be better than Plex I never got Plex to play nice with everything but Kodi works very well here and VLC is very good for 1080P /DVD etc on the PC .

13. tss01 Win User

I installed the latest update last night. The freeze bug the developers talk about has happened to me. Windows loads and none of my icons are on the task bar and I can't open the start menu. I do a hard re-start and it fixes the problem for a few minutes but then the icons disappear once again. I was forced to convert to the previous version. This version just doesn't like Surface Pro 4.

If there are any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Bruce

tss01, Mar 17, 2016
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    For me at least, this is a nice stable build. There is an issue with the taskbar but it's not a deal breaker.

Just getting ready to test out the extensions for Edge..

Jeff

BunnyJ, Mar 17, 2016
  15. swarfega Win User
    Well for me the extensions epically failed. I tried to get extensions twice and it says Unexpected error. well done Microsoft for this wonderful feature.

swarfega, Mar 17, 2016
Thema:

1. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14291 for PC and Mobile - Similar Threads - Announcing Insider Preview

2. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14946 for PC and Mobile

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14946 for PC and Mobile: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Hello Windows Insiders! Today we are excited to be releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14946 for PC and Mobile to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. What’s new in Build 14946 Customizing your precision...
  3. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15063 for PC and Mobile

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15063 for PC and Mobile: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date UPDATE 3/30: Today we are moving Windows Insiders in the Release Preview ring...
  4. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14390 for PC and Mobile

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14390 for PC and Mobile: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Hello my Windows Insiders! I spent a few days this week at our Worldwide Partner Conference in Toronto this week and one of the most exciting things for me was how much people are talking about the Windows Insider Program....
  5. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14388 for PC and Mobile

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14388 for PC and Mobile: UPDATE: July 15th 2016 Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date Hello my Windows Insiders! I’m at the Worldwide Partner Conference (WPC) this week to meet partners and customers to understand the needs of their businesses...
  6. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14376 for PC and Mobile

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14376 for PC and Mobile: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Hello my Windows Insiders! Since you all seemed to like the breakneck build pace last week, we’re starting the week off right and releasing not one, not two, not three…but *four* builds today. Today we are releasing Build...
  7. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14328 for PC and Mobile

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14328 for PC and Mobile: 14328 is coming down the pipe right now! down loading now. 48094
  8. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14295 for PC and Mobile

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14295 for PC and Mobile: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Hi everyone, Today we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14295 for both PC and Mobile to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. In addition to devices that shipped with Windows 10 such as the Lumia 550, 650,...
  9. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14951 for PC and Mobile

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14951 for PC and Mobile: Update: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] *** Edit 2016.10.20 - 6:10PM *** THANK YOU to all the Windows Insiders who have provided us feedback on getting stuck at 0% while trying to download Build 14951 on their devices. We have narrowed this down to a new...
  10. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14385 for PC and Mobile

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14385 for PC and Mobile: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Hello my Windows Insiders! Surprise! Today we are releasing Build 14385 for both PC and Mobile to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. But wait – it’s the weekend!? We’re churning out builds like crazy and this one has a few...