Windows 10: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17004 for PC

Discus and support Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17004 for PC in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I have no idea what you are referring to - I just call'm as I see'm. 17004 is being a real pain - download - install - download - install - good... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17004 for PC

It failed on me 3 times, I am done..

Josey Wales, Sep 27, 2017
  2. Tony K Win User

Finished. Install and ISO went well.

Tony K, Sep 27, 2017
  3. Tony K Win User
    Sorry to see that, Josey. Any fault codes or ideas of what went wrong?

Tony K, Sep 27, 2017
  4. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17004 for PC

All strange ones, one said update not available or something to that effect. Does not matter , I only tried it for giggles..*Biggrin

Josey Wales, Sep 27, 2017
  5. rseiler Win User
    Very, very luckily, the 17004 ISO worked, unlike the ISO that I made for the last build.

It paused at 33% for dramatic effect, but then it proceeded without a GSOD.

No idea why 17004 wasn't showing up in WU other than the possibility that it's only checking for those on the previous build.

rseiler, Sep 27, 2017
  6. larc919 Win User
    I don't recall seeing it before this build, but may not have been paying attention.

larc919, Sep 27, 2017
  7. lmod Win User
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17004 for PC [​IMG]
    Is this what others are seeing?
    I'm attempting to install the update in a Hyper V VM. I setup the VM a week or so ago. (First time to use a VM.) I installed Build 16288, changed the registry, and 16362 downloaded and installed. Windows isn't activated. Today I started the update process to 17004 in the VM, It failed. The 2nd attempt was successful to the "Restart" phase. I created an ISO. then clicked the "Restart" button. It came back to 16362 (no restoring previous version message.) Opened update, the Restart button still there, as well as the message about restarting. Repeated that exercise 3 times with the same result. Mounted the ISO and ran setup there, I now have 17004 running in the VM.
    Because I have no experience with a VM, I'm not sure if the time it takes to respond is normal, but it is slow. I allocated 4 GB RAM and 250GB on a spinner when creating the VM.

8. Kari Win User

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17004 for PC

I had to reinstall W10 PRO x64 EN-US on a Hyper-V virtual machine due several reasons. Used the latest Skippy ISO I had for EN-US, build 16362. Booted from ISO, removed all existing partitions and clean installed.

When on desktop, switched to a Microsoft account (I always install using a local account to get user profile named as I prefer). Opened Settings >WU, was somewhat surprised to see WU had already started downloading 17004.

Checking registry and Insider settings, the VM was set to Skippy builds without any interaction from my side. Skippy Fast. No registry tweaks required, no changing from the usual default Slow ring.

I am not sure if this is because the install media I used was Skippy ISO, or if the settings were retained based on machine's hardware signature and digital license (this VM was and remains activated).

Really positively surprised!

9. I had a lot of strange behavior during upgrade in Hyper-V.

First attempt failed with corrupt or missing files. I suspect my Modem was just about to crash. (Which it did 30min later)

Second attempt just logged out from my system even though I hit Reboot button.

Third attempt (just hitting Reboot button) went smoothly though.

slicendice, Sep 27, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    Yeah - I found same happened last time I clean built. Fast Ring reset to Slow, Skippy retained setting.

If you think about it, MS would have to ensure Skippy kept its setting, because of the limited quota of subscribers. They would lose all Skippy subscribers in one go -LOL.

We should not forget our registry hack is not official and relatively few Skippyists will know how to do that.

cereberus, Sep 27, 2017
  11. CountMike New Member
    This build came in last night half unexpectedly. It downloaded and installed while I was snoozing. No problems making ISO either. Remembered to turn off WD and ISO was finished within few minutes. That M.2 Samsung SSD did good job on it.
    Just going thru it to check out new things. Found one problem in Settings, Storage part starts but closes whole settings. Problem with CD/DVD also persists. But for now, so far, so good. For me at least it was important to catch up with important updates non-Skippy got. I will probably go for clean install when build becomes official.
    For some reason, Fluent Design is not as pronounced as it looks for others.

CountMike, Sep 27, 2017
  12. f14tomcat Win User
    No mystery really. Skippy was born Fast Ring by default. Only choice available, and unchangeable.

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17004 for PC [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Sep 27, 2017
  13. CountMike New Member

sfc /scannow can't fix some errors it found.

CountMike, Sep 27, 2017
  14. Kari Win User
    A misunderstanding here, I see.

By default, when you clean install Windows 10 Insider version, you will be in Slow Ring. You have to manually switch to Fast Ring, and will then be on Fast Ring > The Next version of Windows (not Skippy). In no case will you be set by default on a clean install to Fast Ring > Skippy.

Except, that was what happened to me this morning on that VM.

15. fjk61011 Win User
    Went to bed while 17004 was upgrading. All there this morning. Don't know how long it took.

fjk61011, Sep 27, 2017
Thema:

1. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17004 for PC - Similar Threads - Announcing Insider Preview

2. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17618 - Mar. 7

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17618 - Mar. 7: UPDATE 3/16: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17623 - Mar. 16 Insider - Windows 10 Forums Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Hello Windows Insiders! Today, we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17618 (RS5) to Skip Ahead....
  3. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 16362 for PC

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 16362 for PC: UPDATE: 9/27: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17004 for PC Insider - Windows 10 Forums Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Hello Windows Insiders! Today we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16362 for PC to Windows...
  4. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17655 - Apr. 25

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17655 - Apr. 25: We might get new Skippy tonight too [img]
  5. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17627 - Mar. 21

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17627 - Mar. 21: UPDATE 3/29: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17634 - Mar. 29 Insider - Windows 10 Forums Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Hello Windows Insiders! Today, we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17627 (RS5) to Skip Ahead....
  6. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17623 - Mar. 16

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17623 - Mar. 16: UPDATE 3/21: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17627 - Mar. 21 Insider - Windows 10 Forums Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Hello Windows Insiders! Today, we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17623 (RS5) to Skip Ahead....
  7. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17650 - Apr. 19

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17650 - Apr. 19: Are they depreciating or killing Run and msconfig ? Run is not remebering commands and msconfig has lost some functions. I was trying to make a clean boot but "Selective startup" > "Load startup items" when cleared doesn't do anything. All startup items load anyway. I...
  8. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17643 - Apr. 12

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17643 - Apr. 12: My post was really geared to all our members wanting to make it easier, but inspired by your post *Smile Sure thing :-).
  9. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17634 - Mar. 29

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17634 - Mar. 29: UPDATE 4/4: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17639 - April 4 Insider - Windows 10 Forums Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Hello Windows Insiders! Today, we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17634 (RS5) to Skip Ahead....
  10. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 16353 for PC

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 16353 for PC: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Hello Windows Insiders! Today we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16353 for PC to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring who have opted in to Skip Ahead only. As we mentioned in last week, Insiders who joined Skip...