Windows 10: Adjust ALT+TAB Grid Background Transparency Percent in Windows 10

Discus and support Adjust ALT+TAB Grid Background Transparency Percent in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Adjust ALT+TAB Grid Background Transparency Percent in Windows 10 How to Adjust ALT+TAB Grid Background Transparency Percent in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Adjust ALT+TAB Grid Background Transparency Percent in Windows 10

How to: Adjust ALT+TAB Grid Background Transparency Percent in Windows 10

How to Adjust ALT+TAB Grid Background Transparency Percent in Windows 10

When you press ALT+TAB or CTRL+ALT+TAB to switch between open windows in Windows 10, the grid background will be about 85% opaque by default.

This tutorial will show you how to adjust the ALT+TAB grid background to the transparency or opaque percentage you want for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Adjust ALT+TAB Grid Background Transparency using a REG file
    • Option Two: To Adjust ALT+TAB Grid Background Transparency in Registry Editor

EXAMPLE: ALT+TAB grid background transparency percentage levels

Adjust ALT+TAB Grid Background Transparency Percent in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Adjust ALT+TAB Grid Background Transparency using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MultitaskingView\AltTabViewHost

Grid_backgroundPercent DWORD

(delete) = Default
    0 (decimal) = Full transparency
    20 (decimal) = Semi transparent
    100 (decimal) = Full opaque

1. Do step 2 (default), step 3 (fully transparent), step 4 (semi transparent), or step 5 (full opaque) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Use Default ALT+TAB Grid Background
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 6 below.

Default_Alt+Tab_background.reg

Download

3. To Use Fully Transparent ALT+TAB Grid Background
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 6 below.

Full_transparency_Alt+Tab_background.reg

Download

4. To Use Semi Transparent ALT+TAB Grid Background

Semi_transparent_Alt+Tab_background.reg

Download

5. To Use Full Opaque ALT+TAB Grid Background

Full_opaque_Alt+Tab_background.reg

Download

6. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

7. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

8. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

9. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

10. You may also wish to adjust the ALT+TAB desktop background dimming.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Adjust ALT+TAB Grid Background Transparency in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit, and press Enter.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. In Registry Editor, browse to the key at the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MultitaskingView\AltTabViewHost

*note If you do not have a MultitaskingView key (not there by default), then right click on the Explorer key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type MultitaskingView, and press Enter.

If you do not have a AltTabViewHost key (not there by default), then right click on the MultitaskingView key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type AltTabViewHost, and press Enter.

4. In the right pane of the AltTabViewHost key, double click/tap on the Grid_backgroundPercent DWORD value to modify it. (see screenshot above)

*note If you do not have a Grid_backgroundPercent DWORD (not there by default), then right click or press and hold on an empty area in the right pane of the AltTabViewHost key, click/tap on New, click/tap on DWORD (32-bit) Value, type Grid_backgroundPercent, and press Enter.

To restore the default ALT+TAB grid background transparency percentage level, you would just need to delete the Grid_backgroundPercent DWORD.

5. Select (dot) Decimal, enter a number between 0 to 100 for the opaque percentage level you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

0 = Full transparency

100 = Full opaque

6. Press ALT+TAB or CTRL+ALT+TAB to see how you like this percentage level, and adjust until you have the percentage you want.

7. When finished, you can close Registry Editor if you like.

8. You may also wish to adjust the ALT+TAB desktop background dimming.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Apr 23, 2018
  2. Burgurne Win User
    Burgurne, Oct 26, 2019
  3. alt + tab not working

*Confused Adjust ALT+TAB Grid Background Transparency Percent in Windows 10 :confused: I can alt tab back even if i don't have another program to switch too.

spearman914, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Adjust ALT+TAB Grid Background Transparency Percent in Windows 10

alt + tab not working

Alt+Tab only works if there is something in the background to switch to. If there is nothing to switch to (the game that has focus is the only thing running), the command isn't executed.

FordGT90Concept, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Sasqui Win User
    alt + tab not working

Scratching head, going "duh"... *Wink Adjust ALT+TAB Grid Background Transparency Percent in Windows 10 ;)

Sasqui, Oct 26, 2019
  6. alt + tab not working

Just found a really cool way to make alt+tab INSTANT!!!

In the launch options write the following: -windowed -noborder

Adjust ALT+TAB Grid Background Transparency Percent in Windows 10 Capture122.jpg

This play exactly the same as fullscreen but now you dont have to wait 30 f*@!ing seconds to alt+tab back in!

Also you don't get the little purple/black checkered effect (only in Source games) from alt+tabbing in fullscreen.

oli_ramsay, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Adjust ALT+TAB Grid Background Transparency Percent in Windows 10

1. Adjust ALT+TAB Grid Background Transparency Percent in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Adjust ALT+TAB Grid

2. image with transparent background wont save with transparent background

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    image with transparent background wont save with transparent background: I tried saving image with transparent background using multiple programs, but none of them worked - when i opened my image it didnt have transparent background. I tried deleting some pixels, selecting transparent background or using crop tools. this never happened to me on...
  3. Alt Tab shows desktop background when tabbing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Alt Tab shows desktop background when tabbing: After the windows 10 update, whenever I alt tab is shows my desktop background instead of the focused app. Instead of it being like this: [IMG] I want it to be like this: [ATTACH] Anyone know how to change this?...
  4. How do I get grid of the transparent icons and keep my background?

How do I get grid of the transparent icons and keep my background?: Hello, My computer update and now my icons on my start menu in tablet mode are all transparent. I have tried going into personalization under settings and turning off transparency then changing the background to a color so my apps aren't transparent, but in doing so I lost...
  5. Windows 10 Alt + Tab

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Alt + Tab: I would like to revert the alt + tab functionality back to how it originally worked, where I could alt-tab back and forth between two recent windows, rather than having to scroll through every open window to get to the one I want. Every guide I've found online to do this no...
  6. Background process 'Start' and 'Window' appearing in alt+tab

Background process 'Start' and 'Window' appearing in alt+tab: Hi all, I have an ongoing issue with two background processes appearing when I use alt+tab - one called 'Start' and one called 'Window'. [ATTACH] I have figured out that the Start program is the new start menu service, and of course I am able to force close this...
  7. Windows 10 alt tab

Windows 10 alt tab: How can I change tabs in windows 10 like I used to do it in windows 7. I used to do as following but its not working in windows 10. https://youtu.be/izAELokY6G8 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-alt-tab/9a672385-5e8c-4e5f-bfad-d63eda2c4116
  8. Windows 10 Alt + Tab

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Alt + Tab: My Alt + Tab has suddenly become noticeably slower compared to before. I have turned off Focus Assist as commonly advised by most articles on the internet regarding Alt + Tab lag in Windows 10 yet it still has not fixed the issue. I did notice that this began after having...
  9. Hide or Show ALT+TAB Background Windows in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide or Show ALT+TAB Background Windows in Windows 10: How to: Hide or Show ALT+TAB Background Windows in Windows 10 How to Hide or Show ALT+TAB Background Windows in Windows 10 When you press ALT+TAB or CTRL+ALT+TAB to switch between open windows in Windows 10, any windows in the background of ALT+TAB will show by default....
  10. Adjust ALT+TAB Desktop Background Dimming Percent in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Adjust ALT+TAB Desktop Background Dimming Percent in Windows 10: How to: Adjust ALT+TAB Desktop Background Dimming Percent in Windows 10 How to Adjust ALT+TAB Desktop Background Dimming Percent in Windows 10 When you press ALT+TAB or CTRL+ALT+TAB to switch between open windows in Windows 10, the desktop background will not be dimmed...