Windows 10: Annoying: Safe Eject does not tell me when I can unplug a device

Discus and support Annoying: Safe Eject does not tell me when I can unplug a device in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Is it only me or has Microsoft removed this bubble, which always popped up when you could eject a device? In Windows 10 I never see it. This makes the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Joergi, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Joergi Win User

Annoying: Safe Eject does not tell me when I can unplug a device

Is it only me or has Microsoft removed this bubble, which always popped up when you could eject a device? In Windows 10 I never see it. This makes the Safe Eject function hard to use - I never know, whether I now can unplug the device or if I can't.

When the device is used currently, then there is an according error message - which is absolutely fine.

But when there is no such error, I am left back clueless as to whether ejecting now worked or if it just did not work. It would be great, to at least get any feedback then...

Has the "You can unplug now" notice been removed? Or is this some kind of bug, which only I am having?

:)

Joergi, Oct 25, 2015
  2. MillerBj Win User

I don't have a safety remove hardware icon and I have tried running commands and everything but it is nowhere.

Sorry, I may have done something wrong, but when I click on the shortcut, it takes me to the box saying at the top, "safely remove hardware"

Then it says:

"Select the device you want to unplug or eject, and then click Stop. When windows notifies you that it is safe to do so unplug the device from your computer"

Then it has a list of devices to unplug, but none of them are my removable keyboard.

MillerBj, Oct 25, 2015
  3. JoakimR Win User
    Can't eject Lumia 950

After I connect my Lumia 950 to the computer I need to turn the phone off in order to safely unplug it. I simply aren't allowed to eject it. It says (not verbatim): "A problem occurred when the USB unit were to be ejected; It can't be stopped."

There doesn't seem to be any literature on this anywhere on Google, I've searched several times. It's an annoying problem and it's been going on for months.

JoakimR, Oct 25, 2015
  4. JohnC Win User

No the "safe to remove hardware" notice is still there. Most of us are get a message saying it is in use all the time. There is a big thread on that in the insiders forum. I have just been pulling mine out when I'm done using it, as long as a program or browser is not using it you are good to go. Hopefully this will be fixed- it is an annoyance.

JohnC, Oct 25, 2015
  5. Gary Win User
    I stopped getting it for some reason.

6. Joergi Win User
    That means you once did get it? I am using Windows 10 since the beginning of August and I actually never got it.

Joergi, Oct 26, 2015
  7. Joergi Win User
    That is not what I am talking about. When a device is used, and only then, Windows 10 is properly telling me that. That is fine.

But when it is not used, then there is nothing. No information bubble and nothing.

Can you post me a screenshot of the "safe to remove" notification?
    I use different devices, USB drives, HDDs and some cards, all that on different PCs and on different USB ports. On exactly none of them have I ever gotten the "safe to remove" notification.

Joergi, Oct 26, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

Here you go..

Annoying: Safe Eject does not tell me when I can unplug a device [​IMG]

9. spapakons Win User
    I sometimes see the message too, sometimes not. When I not see it I noticed that the safe removal icon is moving to be the first on the left in notification area. If I try to remove the device while still working, I get the message, but the icon remains hidden. If I remove it successfully, the icon appears on the notification area, so I know I can now remove the device no matter if I see the message or not. I then wait a few seconds, just to be on the safe side and then remove the device. In some devices you can also see the LED switching off, so you can definitely remove it. In others the LED stops blinking and remains on, but I can tell from the icon.

I have a different problem. When I click on the message to see the autoplay list, it does nothing. I could earlier click on the message and then click on open folder or whatever, now clicking on the message does nothing. What happened?

spapakons, Oct 26, 2015
  10. lx07 Win User
    Actually mine is almost always on the left it is just I only this minute installed Skype that decided to go even further to the left. You can drag and drop the icons as you wish though.

There are problem with eject (many threads here) - I have a external USB 3 drive which has decided it is internal and will never eject for example.

I have made a shortcut to call sync.exe pinned to my taskbar and just use that before pulling the thing out.

No idea about autoplay - I always turn it off, sorry.

11. Joergi Win User
    Thanks for posting the screenshot! Is that notification part of the Info Center?

With other words: Is the fact that I have deactivated the Info Center the reason why I do not see this notification?

Joergi, Oct 26, 2015
  12. lx07 Win User
    It only shows up if this thing is switched to ON if that is what your mean.

Annoying: Safe Eject does not tell me when I can unplug a device [​IMG]

13. Joergi Win User

Activating "Show app notifications" inside "Notifications & Actions" was not what I meant, but that is what actually makes the "safe removal" info show up. *Smile

Is there a way to define in detail, which app notifications I want to see? Basically, this "safe removal" notification is the only one I want to get...

Joergi, Oct 26, 2015
  14. lx07 Win User
    At the bottom of that screen are a list of apps that have tried to send notifications. In my case it is Calendar, Mail and Windows Feedback. You can turn all them off. The thing is when another app tries to send a message you'll have to turn that off as well.

Most apps you can turn notifications on and off inside the app but some default to sending notifications (Skype) and some default to not sending them (mail I think but I can't remember now)

If you are getting bugged by some app you can turn it off there in the notifications & actions anyway.

You can also turn off "Show me tips about Windows" (on the same screen).

Sorry if that was a long way of saying that I don't really know *Wink

15. Joergi Win User
    In my case, I only have OneDrive in that list. The USB bubble and also Windows Update, which uses notifications as well, are not there. I think this list only contains "apps" - "safe removal" and Windows Update however are Windows Core functions. I wouldn't call that an "app" - especially not a small USB bubble. That is also why I did not expect, that enabling app notifications would make this bubble appear.

I am still looking for a way to determine, which notifications I get and which I don't.

In Windows 7, there was a menu, in which for each taskbar item you could choose, how it should behave: You could hide the icon, you could make it "icon only" and you could select "icon and notification". Microsoft removed that, right?

Joergi, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Annoying: Safe Eject does not tell me when I can unplug a device - Similar Threads - Annoying Safe Eject

2. In Windows 11, do I have to safely eject an HDD or can I just unplug it? I can't seem to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In Windows 11, do I have to safely eject an HDD or can I just unplug it? I can't seem to...: I'm new to Windows 11 and have a 2tb mechanical drive formatted in exFat that I regularly use on my Mac. When I connect the HDD to my Windows 11 PC I can open all my files, make changes, etc, however, there's no way for me to eject the drive, no matter what I do, the option...
  3. In Windows 11, do I have to safely eject an HDD or can I just unplug it? I can't seem to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In Windows 11, do I have to safely eject an HDD or can I just unplug it? I can't seem to...: I'm new to Windows 11 and have a 2tb mechanical drive formatted in exFat that I regularly use on my Mac. When I connect the HDD to my Windows 11 PC I can open all my files, make changes, etc, however, there's no way for me to eject the drive, no matter what I do, the option...
  4. device is not removable and cannot be ejected or unplugged windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    device is not removable and cannot be ejected or unplugged windows 11: I can't eject my hard drive from notebook even after restarting it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/device-is-not-removable-and-cannot-be-ejected-or/40e67622-5320-47c0-87d8-5478a7f3c508
  5. device is not removable and cannot be ejected or unplugged windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    device is not removable and cannot be ejected or unplugged windows 11: I cant remove external disk even after restarting the pc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/device-is-not-removable-and-cannot-be-ejected-or/4a7787e8-8928-442d-ba0a-99f947000c51
  6. device is not removable and cannot be ejected or unplugged windows 11

device is not removable and cannot be ejected or unplugged windows 11: I can't eject my hard drive from notebook even after restarting it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/device-is-not-removable-and-cannot-be-ejected-or/40e67622-5320-47c0-87d8-5478a7f3c508
  7. device is not removable and cannot be ejected or unplugged windows 11

device is not removable and cannot be ejected or unplugged windows 11: I cant remove external disk even after restarting the pc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/device-is-not-removable-and-cannot-be-ejected-or/4a7787e8-8928-442d-ba0a-99f947000c51
  8. In Windows 11, do you have to safely eject a mass storage device or can you just unplug it?

In Windows 11, do you have to safely eject a mass storage device or can you just unplug it?: Is it true that in Windows 10 and Windows 11 you no longer have to click on the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the system tray to eject a USB connected mass storage device?Since Windows 7 I've always clicked on the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" to remove USB...
  9. In Windows 11, do you have to safely eject a mass storage device or can you just unplug it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In Windows 11, do you have to safely eject a mass storage device or can you just unplug it?: Is it true that in Windows 10 and Windows 11 you no longer have to click on the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the system tray to eject a USB connected mass storage device?Since Windows 7 I've always clicked on the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" to remove USB...
  10. Can anyone tell me what is going on? Even happens when keyboard unplugged.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can anyone tell me what is going on? Even happens when keyboard unplugged.: [IMG] submitted by /u/svonwolf [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/yuej6t/can_anyone_tell_me_what_is_going_on_even_happens/