Windows 10: Another "1803" broke my home network

Discus and support Another "1803" broke my home network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've got a home network with ~9 computers on it. As "bad" as Homegroup seemed to be for some, it worked for me...almost all the time. (On occasion,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by iamc3k, May 15, 2018.

1. iamc3k Win User

Another "1803" broke my home network

I've got a home network with ~9 computers on it.

As "bad" as Homegroup seemed to be for some, it worked for me...almost all the time. (On occasion, I'd have to leave the homegroup and then reboot.)

Now, with 1803, no two computers can see each other. I -can- access a word document from a shortcut on computer 1 with the file on computer 2. I cannot, however, access any file on computer 2 which do not have pre-existing shortcuts.

I do a lot of file swapping between machines. If I can't see each other, that makes it a bit difficult.

I've been reading through a LOT of threads. Since this has affected me since this morning, I'm still in early phase of trying to sort exactly what might work and what doesn't.

I'd think this would be such a fundamental part of an OS that setting up a LAN would be something that could be done by an "applet".

I'm not a programmer. If I were a plumber, I can't imagine going to a customer's house and just dropping off a bunch of pipe and fittings. It seems that's the analogy to me: I had a working LAN in 1709, but now the update to the "better" version, 1803, has broken it.

Like I said, it's still early innings and I'm clicking around trying to fix this thing. My point?

===

Is there any word, rumor, or hope that this LAN/Network issue will be fixed, soon?

===

Thanks,
    Ken

:)

iamc3k, May 15, 2018

2. home network after 1803 update

update 1803 deleted homegroup. How can I share folders(files) with my other PC's at home ?

BillHanlon, May 16, 2018
  3. Another Networking Puzzle

I have a small home network with two desktops and a laptop.

All three are running the latest 1803 issue of Windows 10

All three are assigned to workgroup "Tester"

All three are assigned to a network designated as a Private one

All three have \Users\Public folders set to share with network discovery and file sharing enabled

System A (a desktop) is connected to router directly via cable,

System B (a desktop) is connected wirelessly, requires user w password to logon

System C (a laptop) is connected wirelessly

Systems A and C do not require a Windows logon password-they boot directly to Windows

System C lists system B and C (in File Explorer) under >Network

System B lists systems A,B, and C

System A lists only System A and B

If all my settings are the same, why does each machine behave differently? Why can't the hard wired desktop ever see and access the wirelessly connected laptop? There must be some setting buried deeply that needs correction, but I need help figuring this
    one out.

RickShumway, May 16, 2018
Thema:

Another "1803" broke my home network

1. Another "1803" broke my home network - Similar Threads - Another 1803 broke

2. Network Reset broke my computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network Reset broke my computer: Hello, recently i used the network reset that windows has on their settings. It told me it was going to restart in 5 mins but i decided to just restart it myself. After the reset my ethernet was not even in device manger and now i have no internet. I decided to try and...
  3. Networking is broke!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Networking is broke!!: I don't know what's wrong, here. I thought I'd pinned it down to a bad network driver, but none of my other PCs had this issue. Rolling back the driver seemed to fix the issue, temporarily, and then when it happened again, I could simply roll the driver back again. Well, now,...
  4. Windows Update Broke My Entire Home Network

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Broke My Entire Home Network: I use SMB to share the files on all my PCs and on my semi-NAS machine, my entire family uses this system to stream whatever content they want available on multiple PCs with ease even on their android devices. Since this update landed on every windows machine i own,...
  5. Access to another computer on my home network.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access to another computer on my home network.: When trying to access a second computer I'm required to enter a user name and password. There are no user names and/or passwords on any of my computers. What now?...
  6. Update 1803 "broke" my internet

Update 1803 "broke" my internet: And some other stuff.. I recently installed a fresh new Windows 10 on my PC and started with the update process. Right after installing the April 2018 windows update (AKA update 1803), some applications started acting very slow to non working. This includes the Google...
  7. file sharing with another computer on home network

file sharing with another computer on home network: We 're using Windows 10 on two desktops in our home. Both are connected to Internet by RJ-45 Ethernet cables. How can I set up file sharing so that I can save files from one computer to the other?...
  8. Win10 ver.1803 Broke My Microphone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 ver.1803 Broke My Microphone: After I did the update for the Win10 update, my microphone wouldn't work. I checked if it was a hardware based problem, but it's not after using multiple headphones that use the 3.5mm mic jack and even using a USB based microphone. So its clear that its a software based...
  9. DESPERATE! 1803 broke network sharing on 2 laptops

DESPERATE! 1803 broke network sharing on 2 laptops: Tonight (UK) I installed 1803 on 2 laptops, both of which are used exclusively to screen-capture live webcams 24/7 in hourly clips. I fetch up the recordings from across the network to "this" (XPS 15 in my sig) and edit them, upload to YouTube, and share. I am accustomed to...
  10. Creator broke my network connections

Creator broke my network connections: in 1607 I had 4 devices, 2 laptops, 2 desktops. One desktop is a server of sorts, not running server s/w. All others could connect to it. Upgrade to Creator (Nothing else changed) and now no one can talk to the server. one laptop show it, the other does not. If I click on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. network share broken 1803