Windows 10: Another Activation Problem

Discus and support Another Activation Problem in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm pretty sure I'm screwed, but here goes anyways. I acquired a HP Elitedesk tower that came with no hard drive. I installed 10 off a flash drive but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by CTPhil, Jun 21, 2016.

1. CTPhil Win User

Another Activation Problem

I'm pretty sure I'm screwed, but here goes anyways. I acquired a HP Elitedesk tower that came with no hard drive. I installed 10 off a flash drive but it doesn't activate. There is no COA since it was designed for Windows 8. But the sticker that is on it says that it was downgraded to Win 7 Pro. So if I'm reading it right, Windows 8's activation number would have been embedded in the BIOS, but it was downgraded to 7 so there is nothing in the BIOS, and the Win 7 number went with the old hard drive. I've verified that there's no number in the BIOS, RWEverything shows no MSDM table.

So what am I missing? Do I simply have a computer with no usable activation number? Any chance that talking with MS would help? Thanks!

:)

CTPhil, Jun 21, 2016

2. Can I activate my OEM license to another system if hardware problem occurs?

can I activate my oem license to another system if hardware problem occurs

Original subject: activation

krantikiran, Jun 21, 2016
  3. I can't re-sign up to the Windows Insider program

In the end, I did a clean install to remove this problem. Which created an activation problem , but that's another story!

MichaelClancy, Jun 21, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

You can run showkey plus from this forum to verify there is no product key in bios:
    Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

If there is no product key in bios, and there is no product key printed on a sticker/label - then you are going to have to purchase one.

NavyLCDR, Jun 21, 2016
  5. CTPhil Win User
    I was afraid of that, thanks. *Sad

CTPhil, Jun 21, 2016
  6. Superfly Win User
    Does ShowKey display a Windows 7 marker? If so, send me this registry key and I'll see if I can get Win 7 Pro OEM back for you.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\ACPI\RSDT

Superfly, Jun 22, 2016
  7. CTPhil Win User
    There have been a couple of plot twists. I installed Windows 7 and it activated, (I had a product key to enter, it didn't auto activate) so I immediately used my media to do an upgrade to 10. Once I had 10 again, still no digital entitlement. *Sad In the past I've had problems doing the 7 to 10 leap too fast after installing 7, but thought since 7 was activated and I was doing an upgrade it would be OK. So I've rolled back to 7, planning to install some updates and give it time to settle before trying again.

As for ShowKey, I ran it when 10 didn't validate, and it showed 2 keys, one of which was the 7 key. The other looked like one of those generic Windows keys. It also had language about a marker in the BIOS.

Thanks for the reply, I'll post back.

CTPhil, Jun 22, 2016
  8. badrobot Win User

Check if you selected the right Windows 10 version (Home, Pro, etc.) that is matched with your Windows 7 version.

badrobot, Jun 22, 2016
  9. Unless you have custom matching OEM install media for Windows 7, it will not auto activate. There is OEM info in the BIOS but no key is stored there. If you use stock install media a key will have to be entered manually to activate. Are you 100% sure your Windows 7 activated?
    How did you do the upgrade? Some details may help sort that out.

alphanumeric, Jun 22, 2016
  10. CTPhil Win User
    When I installed 7 (Pro, and yes it matched with 10) I used my 7 All In One Flash drive and entered the product key after the fact, and it said it was activated. When I went to 10, I used media I put on a flash drive using the Media Creation Tool, and selected "upgrade", and "keep all of your files". I also then deferred entering a key thinking it would auto activate with digital entitlement.

CTPhil, Jun 22, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    An upgrade to a matching version of Windows 10 will not ask for a product key. You have a version mismatch or an edition mismatch. For example, you installed Windows 7 single language edition and you are trying to upgrade to regular plain Windows 10 (not single language). Or you installed Windows 7 Pro but are trying to upgrade with an old build 10240 Windows 10 edition that only contains Home.

In your Windows 7, press win +R keys to open a run dialog. Run winver. Post the results screen here. Also open a "run as administrator" command prompt. Run:
    slmgr /dlv

Post that result window here. Then we can figure out what edition/version of Windows 10 you need to install, or we might also be able to see something wrong with the Windows 7 activation that is causing problems - like it is activated with a Volume License Key.

NavyLCDR, Jun 22, 2016
  12. CTPhil Win User
    Another Activation Problem [​IMG]

Another Activation Problem [​IMG]

CTPhil, Jun 22, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

K. So you should be upgrading to Windows 10 Pro. Not Single Language, not "N" edition, just plain Windows 10 Pro. The current download option to get that from Microsoft will be just plain Windows 10 with nothing else behind it. That will get you both Windows 10 Pro and Home versions.

What I would do from here is get a Windows 10 ISO:
    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

I prefer option 1 from above.

Mount the ISO in Windows 7:
    How do I mount iso image file in Windows 7?

Grab the genuineticket.xml file and save it to a USB thumb drive or other external storage device/location. Do steps 1-6 here and stop:
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

After that is done, then run setup.exe from the mounted ISO file from inside Windows 7, it should upgrade to Windows 10 Pro with no input from you asking for a product key or which version you want to install.

NOTE: because the Windows 7 product key installed is OEM:SLP, it cannot be entered manually to activate either Windows 7 or Windows 10. That's why you want to grab the genuineticket.xml file (for future use if something goes wrong), and want to do an in-place upgrade. You can just move onto a clean install using the genuineticket.xml file if you want to, but if it were me, I would attempt to do the in place upgrade first because if the in place upgrade asks you for a product key, you probably have the wrong edition of Windows 10 downloaded.

NavyLCDR, Jun 22, 2016
  14. Superfly Win User
    Looks good... re-arm seems a bit low - but that's irrelevant and should not affect the Win 10 Pro upgrade.

We need to see the same on Win 10 though. Post those screenshots so we can compare wot's-wot.

Edit: Actually I need some to test WDT, so this may be a good opportunity to test that - post a diagnostic report.

Superfly, Jun 22, 2016
  15. CTPhil Win User
    Does anyone offer genuineticket.xml as a download?

CTPhil, Jun 22, 2016
Thema:

1. Another Activation Problem - Similar Threads - Another Activation Problem

2. Another Problem!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Another Problem!!: My laptop is stuck in it's loading screen for the past hour and I am not able to get it to work is there any shortcut that will help shut down the system during the process or if there is any other solution plz let me know URGENT!!!!...
  3. Another Problem!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Another Problem!!: My laptop is stuck in it's loading screen for the past hour and I am not able to get it to work is there any shortcut that will help shut down the system during the process or if there is any other solution plz let me know URGENT!!!!...
  4. Another Problem!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. another problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    another problem: The remote service accepts connections encrypted using TLS 1.1. TLS 1.1 lacks support for current and recommended cipher suites. Ciphers that support encryption before MAC computation, and authenticated encryption modes such as GCM cannot be used with TLS 1.1 As of March 31,...
  6. Another email problem

in Browsers and Email
    Another email problem: Can soemoen tell me why when I click on the mail in the left hand column it sometimes opens a small tab in thr Outlook page instead of a new tab in Edge see pic 92915
  7. Another activation question....

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Another activation question....: Okay, I have 2 completely identical Intel NUC 5i5ryh units, same memory and same M.2 SSD. Other than serial numbers, they are identical units. I had genuine Windows 7 ultimate loaded on each. I upgraded one of them to windows 10 pro and got it setup 100% with the apps,...
  8. Another Update Another Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Another Update Another Problem: Really getting tired of this OS. Second time this happened. 1 >Default browser went back to IE. 2 >Settings opens Control Panel 3 >Programs that should appear on Task bar DON'T 4 >More that I didn't write down 1 > Ran sfc /scannow TWICE nothing 2 > This one is great...
  9. another boot problem

in Windows 10 Support
    another boot problem: Acer laptop...Windows 10 Since installing Win 10 I have had the following issue: Boot with external power and the LT boots to show the Acer logo then goes to black screen and stays there....if I turn off external power it then continues to login window and all is...
  10. Another Font Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Another Font Problem: Hello friends at the TenForums, I'm having a problem with fonts in Windows 10. They are difficult to read, not sharp. The only exception I've found is that they look ok in Windows font viewer except for the font info at the top, (name, version, etc.). Images look clear....