Windows 10: Another Default PDF reader issue.

Discus and support Another Default PDF reader issue. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a new Dell Optiplex running Win10 on a Win2008r2 domain. Resetting file association for pdf's from the Windows 10 viewer to Adobe Acrobat DC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by kw1162, Feb 11, 2016.

1. kw1162 Win User

Another Default PDF reader issue.

I have a new Dell Optiplex running Win10 on a Win2008r2 domain.
    Resetting file association for pdf's from the Windows 10 viewer to Adobe Acrobat DC works temporarily.
    Usually after a reboot, but sometimes even during the day, Win10 resets the default pdf viewer back to the Win10 version.
    Any suggestion?

:)

kw1162, Feb 11, 2016
  2. rdmeyer Win User

Default App's changed without my permission

I have set as a default a PDF reader and set what that reader can open. Periodically, another program on my computer changed the default to it's own PDF reader without my knowledge. How can this be happening? I go to "settings", "Default Apps" to set
    my default but it seems that some programs can make the change without my going to the default settings.

Is there any way for me to prevent this change?

rdmeyer, Feb 11, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Feb 11, 2016
  4. b1rd Win User

Hi kw1162,

I'm not sure if you you already tried this, but maybe try assigning the file types via the "Associate File Types With Specific Apps" option.

See HERE and scroll down to the section that contains the 4th image, like mine below. It's within this area that you want to assign the file type and see if it sticks.

Another Default PDF reader issue. [​IMG]

5. kw1162 Win User
    Yes, Thank You, I've tried all the normal ways including this one.
    I was able to do some more troubleshooting this afternoon and it seems every time the user starts GoldMine (a version of which is not supported in Win10) the setting for .pdf goes back to MS Edge. Seems odd to me because this version of GoldMine was built for XP. I wouldn't think it was even capable of such a change. It will probably come down to a registry adjustment. Thanks for the response.

kw1162, Feb 12, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, elsewhere it's been found a number of times that running an old version of Winzip has a similar effect. It would not then be surprising that other old version programs might do likewise.

Reversion to MS defaults is a quite common problem.
    Suggests either the older versions didn't comply with some standard or the standard has moved on..

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Another Default PDF reader issue. - Similar Threads - Another Default PDF

2. Set Firefox as default .pdf reader

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set Firefox as default .pdf reader: I used to use Firefox as my default .pdf reader. Somehow, the default app was changed to Evernote. When I went to Default App Settings for .pdf files, Edge of course, Chrome, and Opera were listed as options but not Firefox. How do I add Firefox as an option for my default...
  3. Set Firefox as default .pdf reader

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set Firefox as default .pdf reader: I used to use Firefox as my default .pdf reader. Somehow, the default app was changed to Evernote. When I went to Default App Settings for .pdf files, Edge of course, Chrome, and Opera were listed as options but not Firefox. How do I add Firefox as an option for my default...
  4. Default PDF reader keeps switching to Edge

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default PDF reader keeps switching to Edge: I have a computer in my organization that keeps switching the default PDF reader to Edge. We have wiped the profile and rebuilt it, replaced the laptop with a new fresh image to no avail. The users default PDF reader keeps switching from Adobe DC Pro to Edge. We do not...
  5. PDF Reader

PDF Reader: Ok so my English textbooks are pdfs. usually I would use Adobe Acrobat Reader, but one of the textbooks is 500+ pages long, and its sooo slow! ive tried edge, chrome, etc, but none of them work because its simply too big! Should I print it?...
  6. PDF Reader

PDF Reader: Looking for a simple pdf reader nothing complicated. I just want it for reading pdf. windows 10 home. simple question I hope. Thank You. David. 124877
  7. Changing default PDF reader

Changing default PDF reader: I have two PDF reader files installed. The first is Adobe Reader which is required by specific programs issued by the Australian Taxation Office - NO other reader is permitted or works. The second, and my preferred reader is Nuance Power PDF Standard. I want the second...
  8. default pdf reader

default pdf reader: I had foxit, it would not open pdf files as default, edge, firefox, chrome, they all opened as default depending which browser I was using. Uninstalled foxit, removed all traces with revo uninstaller. Reinstalled foxit as default. Went to apps and made foxit default....
  9. How to set default pdf reader

How to set default pdf reader: Since an update to windows 10 (last but one) every time I click a pdf file to open it, win10 insists on opening it in Edge - even after selecting 'open with' and confirming Acrobat as my default pdf reader. Anyone any ideas on how to stop Win10 controlling my pdf reader...
  10. Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Edge and default PDF-reader.

Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Edge and default PDF-reader.: Hi, I've been looking for a solution for my problem for months now. Since I have Windows 10 on my computer, the default pdf-reader is constantly changed back to Microsoft Edge, despite all my attempts to make Acrobat Reader DC my default one. I have made the change of...