Windows 10: Another freeware alternative to Acronis Imaging for Windows 10

Discus and support Another freeware alternative to Acronis Imaging for Windows 10 in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Is there a freeware program that works like Ancronis True Image or similarly easy to use for even a grandma? Tried to teach elderly but hard... Thanks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by pectin232, Feb 4, 2016.

1. pectin232 Win User

Another freeware alternative to Acronis Imaging for Windows 10

Is there a freeware program that works like Ancronis True Image or similarly easy to use for even a grandma? Tried to teach elderly but hard... Thanks

:)

pectin232, Feb 4, 2016
  2. Tryx3 Win User

Activation issues with Windows 10 after performing Clean installation

Jason,

Actually, it was mentioned earlier on but I noticed from your next post that you had missed it.

Sorry, I should not be wasting your time.
    I appreciate that you are now busy making a system image.

• If your office has several computers then you could usefully consider third-party imaging utilities as they tend to be easier to manage [if you just stick to the Windows imaging tool then managing multiple images from multiple computers can become a nightmare].
    • One highly-regarded tool is Acronis TI [Acronis True Image 2016]
      and it can also work with Windows-made system images as well as images it makes itself - so your current task of making a system image is not wasted. Acronis support is excellent.
    • There are other imaging products, including some free ones, but I have no experience of them.
    • I have never noticed Andre saying which imaging tools he uses so you might find an additional post from him later, after you have finished making your current image, giving you an interesting alternative opinion.

Edited 29 Nov 2016 - I have tested Acronis TI 2017 and it can only restore its own .tib images & .vhd images [Windows 7 system images]. It cannot restore .vhdx images [Windows 10 &, I believe, Windows 8]. Several threads in the Acronis forums and an Acronis
    Knowledge Base article also stated that this limitation existed. I then contacted Acronis support who confirmed the fact. There is no reason to believe that Acronis will add this capability in the future.

Denis

Tryx3, Feb 4, 2016
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Restore System Image

Van1,

I have added this to my earlier post about Acronis

Edited 29 Nov 2016 - I have tested Acronis TI 2017 and it can only restore its own .tib images & .vhd images [Windows 7 system images]. It cannot restore .vhdx images [Windows 10 &, I believe, Windows 8]. Several threads in the Acronis forums and an Acronis
    Knowledge Base article also stated that this limitation existed. I then contacted Acronis support who confirmed the fact. There is no reason to believe that Acronis will add this capability in the future.

Denis

Tryx3, Feb 4, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

I use Macrium Reflect Free. It is pretty good.

You could schedule backups so they are made automatically perhaps.

lx07, Feb 4, 2016
  5. OldMike65 Win User
    *Thumbs*Thumbs*Thumbs

OldMike65, Feb 4, 2016
  6. sn00ker Win User
    I think you mean one that's better than Acronis and yes Macrium Reflect is that much better

sn00ker, Feb 4, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    There is a straightforward alternative which requires no " learning " at all. Just a couple of clicks and the system will do it by itself.
    It is not as "sophisticated" as other 3rd party programs but it gets the job done ...... for me for at least 4 years since I started using Windows 7.
    This program is built-in. All you need is an external hard drive in which you can backup your files, or backup your system image.
    Plug in your external hard drive.
    In the search box next to the Start button, type backup and restore > Enter >
    From there you can initiate backing up your files, or
    left side, click Create system image and follow the prompts to backup system image.

Some will say it is not reliable. Well, it has yet to fail me since I started using it 4 years ago.
    Other 3rd party programs have more to offer, that's for sure.
    For me, what the built-in program has to offer is enough for me. That's all I need.

davidhk, Feb 4, 2016
  8. Steve C Win User

Another vote for Macrium Reflect. Note some older versions of Acronis backup sofware left behind low level disk drivers/filters which are very hard to remove.

Steve C, Feb 4, 2016
  9. DMGrier Win User
    VEEAM End Point backup is truly king and free. This is all I will use and I have used it both with attached storage devices and File Shares. Recovery USB is easy to make and the controls over the incremental backups is why I love this product.

Free Desktop and Laptop backup - Veeam Endpoint Backup

DMGrier, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Another freeware alternative to Acronis Imaging for Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Another freeware alternative

2. Another reason not to buy Acronis True Image anymore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Another reason not to buy Acronis True Image anymore: Acronis have now moved from perpetual licences to a subscription based licence for Acronis 2021. Worse still, you cannot backup over wifi which I use. Long live Macrium Reflect! 181289
  3. Acronis True Image or Windows Security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Acronis True Image or Windows Security: I have found that if Acronis True Image is turned on, Windows anti-virus is turned off in my Win 10 system. I also have Malware Bytes installed. Which is the better combination: Acronis or Windows with Malware? 163369
  4. Acronis True Image pr Windows Secrity

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Acronis True Image pr Windows Secrity: I have found that if Acronis True Image is turned on, Windows anti-virus is turned off in my Win 10 system. I also have Malware Bytes installed. Which is the better combination: Acronis or Windows with Malware? 163369
  5. Complete freeware for printing pdf to jpg/image?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Complete freeware for printing pdf to jpg/image?: Is there any completely free and clean software (not evaluation or trial) for printing pdf to jpg/image, or even printing a multiple page pdf to one single jpg/image (i.e long image) ? Please advise. 130867
  6. Another Windows Update Alternative?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Another Windows Update Alternative?: Just stumbled across this tool from Developer Mike C (WSUS Offline Update - Update Microsoft Windows and Office without an Internet connection) care of the HowToGeek website. It's called WSUS Offline Update, and it's kept reasonably current by its developer. Apparently, it...
  7. Acronis True Image 2017 - processes

Acronis True Image 2017 - processes: I have recently installed Acronis True Image 2017 into my Win 10 pro desktop PC. Got a good deal as an upgrade offer. I only make backups on this PC as and when I feel the need to, definitely not on a weekly basis. This is not a work PC and I do not want it running backups...
  8. Acronis True Image Alternatives

Acronis True Image Alternatives: I'm looking for any alternatives to Acronis True Image, specifically the boot disk option. Is there anything else better that you can recommend that gives me bootable media (USB preferred) and will allow me to make an image of the computer and send it to a local external...
  9. Freeware Alternative(s) for RDP?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Freeware Alternative(s) for RDP?: Anybody seen any freeware alternative ( s) to RDP? 4629
  10. Kaspersky Cleaner For Windows, Freeware CCleaner Alternative

in Windows 10 News
    Kaspersky Cleaner For Windows, Freeware CCleaner Alternative: Kaspersky Cleaner For Windows, Freeware CCleaner Alternative From Kaspersky Lab [img] Kaspersky Lab is well-known security software maker famous for their flagship products Kaspersky Antivirus, Kaspersky Internet Security. Kaspersky Lab recently released Kaspersky...