Windows 10: Another IE Vs Edge Comment (Question)

Discus and support Another IE Vs Edge Comment (Question) in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; There were a few things that I need to do but can't because Edge doesn't allow Java or other add-ons. So I made IE11 my default browser. After a few... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by DustyV, Aug 18, 2015.

1. DustyV Win User

Another IE Vs Edge Comment (Question)

There were a few things that I need to do but can't because Edge doesn't allow Java or other add-ons. So I made IE11 my default browser. After a few days of experimenting I found that the IE11 in windows 10 is not all that great. I decided that I would do better running edge and "open with IE" when I needed to. Ok. I went back and made Edge the default browser. Problem is IE is still my default. I've changed it several times and IE is still default. Tried several tricks but it won't go back to Edge as default. is there some registry key or some other way I can change this? BTW in the place where you choose your default browser it does say Microsoft Edge but the icon in the system tray is the IE icon. I think I broke it <grin>
    Comments or Flames welcome.
    Tnx,
    Dusty

:)

DustyV, Aug 18, 2015
  2. Lando801 Win User

edge crash with facebook

There are no comments shown on facebook posts. Everytime you try to comment it just causes Edge to crash. If I click go to IE it works just fine. This renders Edge useless. Anyone with on ideas of fixing this? I have cleared all cache, cookies, ect. and
    tried restarting the PC several times. Any help would be appreciated as this browser looks like it has alot of potential but at the moment Edge is the same as IE Just to download another browser.

Lando801, Aug 18, 2015
  3. e.gray Win User
    Answer to: How to Export Favorites and Bookmarks from the Microsoft Edge browser to a Bookmark.htm or html file?

So, your technique requires that you manually replicate all of the changes in the Edge favorites back to IE?!?! That might be a viable solution if you only had minimal changes... but what if you have hundreds?

e.gray, Aug 18, 2015
  4. torre Win User

So you went to Settings/Default Apps/Browser and IE is still default ? Click on IE and the other browsers will appear, then click on desired browser.

If all else fails, do a System Restore back to a point before you made the initial switch. You may also want to pin IE to the task bar for easier access. Drag the IE 11 "e" icon from the start menu to the taskbar.

torre, Aug 18, 2015
  5. CmmTch Win User
    I use Edge most of the time but IE11 is set as my default browser, so far there's not been any problems that I'm aware of. I still use IE on occasion but I don't know what difference it might make regardless of whatever browser is marked as the default.

Since I've been using Edge most of the time IE seems slower and clunkier, not as smooth. Could be because Edge is still new and relatively uncluttered, it may well be the same as IE after a few years of upgrade/updates, additions and such.

To put things from the start menu or other places on the taskbar do a right click on the item and click "pin to taskbar"

CmmTch, Aug 18, 2015
  6. DustyV Win User
    Sorry, that was just me having a Senior Moment. A rather stupid one at that. Default does not mean on the taskbar. Yeah, when I went to make IE 11 default browser it also changed the icon on the task bar. When I decided to go back to Edge as default the icon stayed for IE 11. In other words Edge is my default and we unpin IE 11 and pin Edge to the taskbar AND all better.

Do I feel stupid, yes I do.' But, trust me I done allot worse.

DustyV, Aug 18, 2015
  7. CmmTch Win User
    Hey no worries Dusty, it happens to the best of us. IE is my default (I'm using it right now) I have both IE and Edge pinned to the taskbar, it shouldn't make any difference as far as default and what you've put on the taskbar.

I do know when I first started with W10 after upgrading (upgraded from Win7 through Windows Update) Edge was set as the default browser and was the only MS browser on the taskbar. I found IE and pinned it there, then went to internet options and set IE as the default.

I have 12 items beside start pinned there, it's so handy to have them right there. I've got Search, Task View, File Explorer, IE, Edge, Firefox, Waterfox (Mozilla's x64 browser) Run, Windows Firewall (from Win7 upgrade) Settings, Snipping Tool, and Windows Defender.

Another IE Vs Edge Comment (Question) [​IMG]

CmmTch, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Another IE Vs Edge Comment (Question) - Similar Threads - Another Edge Comment

2. Edge Chromium IE Mode Question

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Chromium IE Mode Question: Hey all, I'm running version 2004 and trying to figure out how to get IE Mode to work with the Chromium version of Edge. Every article and write up from MS and other sites tell me to enable it in edge://flags but it's not there and a few sites have said to check it in...
  3. Iobit vs Iolo and another AV question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Iobit vs Iolo and another AV question: If I had to choose between iobit Advanced System Care Pro and Iolo Phoenix360 Which should I choose? And why? In actual fact. I have both. But it seems a tad surplus to have both running at the same time. I also had to remove avast because it was causing some problems with...
  4. Firefox Vs IE

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox Vs IE: Hi, I'm not very good with technology. I've always used IE as my browser, I prefer IE especially IE menu bar, File, edit, view, etc, etc, I'm comfortable with IE menu bar it makes it easier for me. Although I tried Chrome, I just can't get used to it I'm wondering what...
  5. Edge and IE 11

in Browsers and Email
    Edge and IE 11: When I open Edge, it always goes to the last page I was on. I want to set a Home Page and have it open on the Home Page every time. How do I do that? How do I get the IE icon on the Taskbar? 120659
  6. IE not edge

in Browsers and Email
    IE not edge: how do I get internet explorer so I don't need to use edge. every time I get it it goes disappears I am new to windows10 don 't know where anything is very frustraiting 117429
  7. IE not edge

in Windows 10 Support
    IE not edge: how do I get internet explorer so I don't need to use edge. every time I get it it goes disappears I am new to windows10 don 't know where anything is very frustraiting 117429
  8. Question about IE 11?

in Browsers and Email
    Question about IE 11?: Hi I thought I'd try using IE 11, since it's the first time I've been able to get it to work correctly since Windows 7. But I can't find a way to import my favorites from Chrome, (I know how to do it the other way around). Also it there a way to get it to display...
  9. IE 11 Question

in Browsers and Email
    IE 11 Question: I'm running windows 10 Pro with IE 11. I don't like the Edge, so I turned that off. I also have Google Toolbar running, therefore, up in the left hand top side, there is a place where I can put in something to search for and Google search will find it. So far, no problem,...
  10. IE or Edge

in Browsers and Email
    IE or Edge: which is better to use Edge or IE sorry i'm a bit confused are they the same but different or are they just different why did MS keep both 20303