Windows 10: Another Microsoft strong arm tactic

Discus and support Another Microsoft strong arm tactic in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I received an email from Microsoft regarding my Windows Live Mail 2012............................... Dear user, In a few weeks, we will be... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by davidhk, Dec 11, 2015.

1. davidhk Win User

Another Microsoft strong arm tactic

I received an email from Microsoft regarding my Windows Live Mail 2012...............................

Dear user, In a few weeks, we will be making some changes to our email services that might impact your @outlook.com, @hotmail, @live, or @msn email account. Those changes will prevent your email from being delivered to the Windows Live Mail 2012 application you use. In order to continue using Windows Live Mail 2012 to send and receive email for your account, you need to install the latest update published here. If you use Windows Live Mail 2012 on Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, we recommend that you switch to the built in Mail app in Windows to stay connected and get the latest feature updates on Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10. Windows Live Essentials 2009 and 2011 are not supported anymore, and you will need to update to Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10 and use the Mail app, or use www.outlook.com. To learn more about the Mail app, please click here. We also recommend all Windows Live mail users on Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 to upgrade to Windows 10 and use the built in Mail application to stay connected and get the latest feature updates. We suggest saving this email so you can refer to it later. Thanks for your understanding and continued use. Sincerely,
    The Outlook team
    .................................................................................................... ..........................................................................................

I am to switch to that micky mouse Mail app ?
    It would be hell froze over before I did that !!!!!!

:)

davidhk, Dec 11, 2015
  2. SINicle1 Win User

Computer User accounts...DO NOT LIKE !!!

Is there a way to add Guest users to windows 10?

i found family and other garbage but i don't want people's personal information on my computer and its total BS that it FORCES you to enter it....TURN IT OFF or Microsoft or you will loose billions of users!!!! forcing someone to enter personal data to use
    a product is "strong arm" tactics and will NOT be tolerated. If this "siphoning" of information keeps going on ill switch to another OS and never look back. as millions of others will to i imagine.

SINicle1, Dec 11, 2015
  3. Windows 10 concerns

I installed Windows 10, and what a disappointment! GUI is plain jane. Very little customization. However, I could live with the plain jane GUI if the advertised speed increase had been real. Windows 10 actually runs slower than 7 on my Acer netbook.
    By the way Microsoft, I don't like your strong arm tactics/this is it like it marketing strategy. I may decide to switch to a Mac, if you don't fix 10 soon. Uninstalled and back to 7 for now.

SilverMoon1958, Dec 11, 2015
  4. banger Win User

The patch breaks my WLM 2012 on windows 10, did I apply it too early or is it buggy, I got the same email.

banger, Dec 11, 2015
  5. Mystere Win User
    This is not what many seem to think it is. Microsoft is in the process of sunsetting a metric boatload of stuff. Everything from older versions of IE, to even .NET 4, 4.5 and 4.5.1 (which isn't that old). MS clearly thinks they have too much legacy and are cutting the cord on a lot of stuff... not even Windows 10 related.

Mystere, Dec 11, 2015
  6. davidhk Win User
    I click on that "update" link and when I clicked the Download, a box appeared ask for either Repair or Remove WLM.
    I aborted. Why do I have to run Repair ? WTF !!!
    I am pissed now. Microsoft is going too far.

davidhk, Dec 11, 2015
  7. banger Win User
    That link provides a patch as the repair runs it patches files but it broke my WLM.

banger, Dec 11, 2015
  8. davidhk Win User

Screw the Mail app.
    I can use my Outlook.com from the web.

davidhk, Dec 11, 2015
  9. davidhk Win User
    Sorry to hear that.
    Hope you can reinstall WLM to its proper state.

davidhk, Dec 11, 2015
  10. banger Win User
    I re-installed from Programs and features then reapplied the patch seems to work ok now, I suspect the calendar update bit of the program.

banger, Dec 11, 2015
  11. My live mail has broke a couple of times since win10 29 july. However, it usually self repairs and eventually all is well. It resides on separate server system and is repaired without user input imo.

lopedoggie, Dec 11, 2015
  12. WHS
    whs Win User
    That is a good observation. My guess is that the maintenance cost on a lot of that legacy stuff is killing them.

13. agent99 Win User

I also got the email.

I have 10 installed on my old laptop. The Mail app is absolutely hopeless. When I set it up, I was able to link all my ISP and Gmail accounts. But not Outlook.com! So, I set up WLM instead and it works fine on 10, except it seems it will soon be dead?

I think I will abandon the Outlook.com email accounts and start new ones on Gmail where needed. If WLM dies, then presumably there are alternatives like Thunderbird or one of the others here: 10 Best Email Client Apps for 2015 | Best Windows 10 Apps

After having to figure out how to extricate myself from the MS Hobson's choice after Win 10 download (Install now or in a couple of days - sorry you can't abort) my main laptop will stay with Win 7 as long as possible.

agent99, Dec 11, 2015
  14. davidhk Win User
    .........I think I will abandon the Outlook.com email accounts and start new ones on Gmail where needed. If WLM dies.............

I don't think that's what the email said.
    WLM is not going to die, it just won't work with Outlook.com. That's how I read it.
    Like I said, I can always use outlook.com from the web.
    I also have a POP account configured in WLM. That should still work...............I hope.
    If not, I have MS Outlook 2010 lying on shelf ready.

davidhk, Dec 11, 2015
  15. derekimo Win User
    That looks bogus to me, I would start scanning with all your security if you've clicked any of those links.

derekimo, Dec 11, 2015
Thema:

1. Another Microsoft strong arm tactic - Similar Threads - Another Microsoft strong

2. Please Microsoft, stop these Evil Empire tactics in Windows

in Windows 10 News
    Please Microsoft, stop these Evil Empire tactics in Windows: If you have read the blog post about the latest Windows 11 Dev build, you may have noticed the following paragraph: "We are continuing the exploration of badging on the Start menu with several new treatments for users logging in with local user accounts to highlight the...
  3. Strong Certificate Matching

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strong Certificate Matching: Hello,I've been tasked with implementing Strong Certificate Matching on Enterprise servers. After doing some research I saw that this could cause major authentication issues on Domain Controllers. Does anyone know how this is safely rolled out or has anyone does this in their...
  4. Strong Certificate Matching

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strong Certificate Matching: Hello,I've been tasked with implementing Strong Certificate Matching on Enterprise servers. After doing some research I saw that this could cause major authentication issues on Domain Controllers. Does anyone know how this is safely rolled out or has anyone does this in their...
  5. deceitful tactics

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    deceitful tactics: How come when you sign up for an account all the included documentation never mentions a need for your phone number, and assures you your information is guarded, however after a few day the account becomes mysteriously compromised and they must have my phone number or i cant...
  6. error connect Gears Tactic

in Windows 10 Gaming
    error connect Gears Tactic: Hello,I wanted to reconnect to my microsoft account to play your game on Steam.the microsoft window asks me for my number , and then an email address, an email address again. suddenly I made a mistake when adding my mailbox. instead of putting *** Email address is removed for...
  7. <strong><font color="#227093" size=4px>This is some text!</font></strong>

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    <strong><font color="#227093" size=4px>This is some text!</font></strong>: This is some text! sdasdasdsadsahttp://www.google.com https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strongfont-color227093-size4pxthis-is-some/06386bfc-b8cc-4019-8caa-0afb8aacf07c
  8. Unable to install Gears Tactics

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to install Gears Tactics: I preordered Gears Tactics before its release, however I have been unable to install the game at all. No error code has been shown. All that happens is that I am shown that an update for the game is available and that a rotating circle of doom ensues once I try to install it....
  9. A strong security suggestion/recommendation

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    A strong security suggestion/recommendation: [ATTACH] For anyone who has not done this, already, you are, certainly, urged to do it. > Settings > Windows Security > App & browser control ... scroll down to Isolated browsing Click on Install Windows Defender Application Guard. In the resulting dialogue window scroll...
  10. Strongly Recommended for 1809!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Strongly Recommended for 1809!: Just thought I would mention/remind that you can nicely learn all the is new, changed & or improved in 1809 using Tips! This offers a great way to, quickly & easily right w/in your OS, access How, What, Where & just everything about your Windows 10, as it now is, w/ the...