Windows 10: another update last night - another aggrivation

Discus and support another update last night - another aggrivation in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; W10 updated again last night and AGAIN removed my Gadgets and GAMES. I managed to reinstall my Gadgets, but the games seem to be another issue. They... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ruggb, Sep 22, 2016.

1. ruggb Win User

another update last night - another aggrivation

W10 updated again last night and AGAIN removed my Gadgets and GAMES.
    I managed to reinstall my Gadgets, but the games seem to be another issue.
    They install complete with the start menu icons but will not open.
    When I dbl clk the icon or exe file nothing happens.
    I want them back. Can you help?

:)

ruggb, Sep 22, 2016
  2. Mick_H1 Win User

Draw your heart out on n900.

Good job.

I'm really impressed with it. There was another update last night, so the developer is serious about it.

Mick_H1, Sep 22, 2016
  3. NeilMcD Win User
    Paintshop pro X4 stopped working since latest Windows 10 update

Thanks for your reply - Last night another update to Windows 10 was delivered and everything seems to be working now.

NeilMcD, Sep 22, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

If by 'Gadgets' you mean the Windows Sidebar Gadgets so popular with Windows 7 users, then the were removed for very good reason.
    Microsoft Security Advisory 2719662

In fact, there was a recent windows update for Windows 7 to remove them there too.

If by 'Games' you mean the 'windows 7 games on Windows 10' 3rd-party repackaged offerings, then I believe the Anniversary Update stopped the previous versions from working/installing. An updated version is need to get them back again. A reinstall of W10 (which is what the Anniversary 'update' actually is) will inevitably remove these again as they are deprecate features from W7, just as it did for an upgrade from 7 to 10. MS want you to use the Microsoft Solitaire Collection instead (in-play purchases and all). A commercial rather than security decision, I feel.

Me, I prefer the older XP games (copied from my own XP machine, so no worries about 'risky' downloads from a 3rd-party) Those were completely ignored by my AU upgrade. *chuckle

5. ruggb Win User
    I WANT the gadgets I have been using since W7 - and I really don't care why MS doesn't want them on systems. If I have loaded something I want MS to leave it alone unless it is verifiable malware - which my gadgets are not. Those are working again.

Since I no longer have an XP system I guess I will have to search for those files.

ruggb, Sep 22, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    Ask around, plenty of XP users still out there, maybe a friend or neighbour still uses it. If you do find a source, you need not only the .exe files, but also cards.dll (the .chm help files would be useful too). No install required, just put them in a folder and run them.

7. Hi All, my first post. Since I have installed Windows 10 things have gone backwards. After the big upgrade of a few nights ago I now find Excell is screwed. I had an Excell file divided into pages of my choosing for printing etc.. Now I find Office is imposing a fixed page format that has cut across the work I have done before! I can see no way to change it. I live in he UK (Wales) and have the time set to the UK time-zone. I am sure I am not the only one to find this!!

Any suggestions please.

henryCaldicot, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. another update last night - another aggrivation - Similar Threads - another update last

2. Another update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Another update: You can't turn your back on Windows for a minute without it slipping in another update you've been trying to put off. Then you spend hours fixing things a simple update shouldn't break only to find out days later that it has been secretly deleting files or running your SSDs...
  3. Update on the problem from last night

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update on the problem from last night: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Sakura_Kamishiro [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j95ncm/update_on_the_problem_from_last_night/
  4. Another broken update?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Another broken update?: How many times are we going to be given updates that change settings, lose settings and generally stuff around with computers that were previously working well? I am utterly sick of having my settings changed and information lost thanks to **** updates from Microsoft. My...
  5. Windows UpDate From Last Night

Windows UpDate From Last Night: This thing is hung up. It reboots and I can get to the basic screen, but about half my icons don't render. Also, on the toolbar, my icons aren't there. The Windows icon in the bottom left corner is black and white and when you hover the mouse over it, you get the blue circle...
  6. Windows update last night

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows update last night: Just checkexc what was new after the update applied last night and can't find anything about Microsoft overwriting my personalisations. For instance you have removed my wallpaper and replaced it with a black screen and have changed my screensaver from "Windows 10 is ****" to...
  7. lastest microsoft update last night

lastest microsoft update last night: Last night my computer updated and when I turned my computer on there are a lot of foreign looking symbols in the place of my shortcuts and on my word documents. I open a new word document and instead of "save" or "home" at the top I get boxes, triangles, question marks...
  8. Last nights update failed.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Last nights update failed.: Since last nights update my computer won't take my pin number, says it is wrong. 65051
  9. Another Update?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Another Update?: I just got the new update 2 weeks ago now I am getting a message that there is another update that I have to restart my computer for. Is this part of the creators update or something new? 91524
  10. Another Update Another Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Another Update Another Problem: Really getting tired of this OS. Second time this happened. 1 >Default browser went back to IE. 2 >Settings opens Control Panel 3 >Programs that should appear on Task bar DON'T 4 >More that I didn't write down 1 > Ran sfc /scannow TWICE nothing 2 > This one is great...