Windows 10: Another way of unattended PXE installation -- and it works :-)

Discus and support Another way of unattended PXE installation -- and it works :-) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had a run on the preview 10240 by unattended installation. what I wanted to see is if I could create a golden image on one very old PC (HP Elitebook... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by thejinn, Jul 18, 2015.

1. thejinn Win User

Another way of unattended PXE installation -- and it works :-)

I had a run on the preview 10240 by unattended installation. what I wanted to see is if I could create a golden image on one very old PC (HP Elitebook 6930p), sysprep it and afterwards apply that image by autoupdating the drivers to my Dell Latitude E5540 before login.
    The reason to do this is to avoid to create multiple images of win 10 when eventually rolling out the new OS Another way of unattended PXE installation -- and it works :-) :)

Since I have already created a blog about it, I will not repeat it here, but you could find all available files and instructions here: http://www.pivpn.net/2015/07/making-...wim-image.html

There is also some finished unattend.xml that you can reuse for your type of installation.

Cheers
    Eirik

:)

thejinn, Jul 18, 2015

2. Booting Windows over LAN

Hi, I want to attempt to run my windows 10 OS over my lan from a another computer. I know how to install windows over LAN vie PXE but is there a way to run windows over the LAN so the client PC doesnt need a hard drive? Is this possible? I have searched
    google for this but came up with nothing? Thanks!

aedancroft, Jul 18, 2015
  3. PXE WINDOWS SETUP: WINDOWS 10 ENTERPRISE ERROR 0x800004005

I am attempting to pxe boot (both uefi and legacy) to microsoft windows setup to install windows 10 enterprise. During the process it fails and cancels installment (see attached). I checked setuperr file with a 0x80004005 error for unattend passes (see
    attached)
    Another way of unattended PXE installation -- and it works :-) [​IMG]

Another way of unattended PXE installation -- and it works :-) [​IMG]

Johnsteven.betts, Jul 18, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

You are doing an extremely easy procedure in an extremely complicated way. I do this a lot easier, simpler and faster without a need to install or add any drivers, I don't even have to know what hardware the computers have where the image will be deployed to, it's all done automatically. It's all done in Audit Mode with sysprep using the generalize switch.

One observation:

You let the readers of your blog to understand you have done this in an enterprise environment with 350 computers, yet you post something like this:

You don't have to nor should you ever use a username / user profile on your technician computer! That alone tells quite a lot about the validity of your advice; when this procedure is done correctly, the image simply has no other user accounts than the Windows built-in administrator account (which by the way will remain disabled) so the end user can of course choose any username. You mentioning you use "a swearing word" as a username tells you don't know how to do the procedure without any whatsoever users created on the technician computer. That makes it hard to believe you have done this in a bigger enterprise network with 350 computers because every pro would know how NOT to need to create a user with a username "you will never normally use".

You have turned a simply procedure to something quite complicated and, this is important, you are suggesting a method to create and deploy a Windows image in a way which is very unwise and amateurish.

A nice try to get readers to your blog. I won't report your post simply because it's not my business to decide how much you can advertise your own sites here but I for sure hope this thread would disappear because it really offers nothing but a complicated amateurish way to do something that is in fact quite simple.

Thema:

1. Another way of unattended PXE installation -- and it works :-) - Similar Threads - Another unattended PXE

2. PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE-ROM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE-ROM: My old ssd broke so I bought a different one M.2 and put it into my pc. I've tried to install windows on it, but I'm consistently met with this error whenever I boot. My keyboard doesn't turn on so I can't access BIOS. What should I do?Thanks,Kareem GM...
  3. PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE-ROM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE-ROM: My old ssd broke so I bought a different one M.2 and put it into my pc. I've tried to install windows on it, but I'm consistently met with this error whenever I boot. My keyboard doesn't turn on so I can't access BIOS. What should I do?Thanks,Kareem GM...
  4. PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE-ROM

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. PXE-MOF :EXITING PXE ROM

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PXE-MOF :EXITING PXE ROM: plwase solve this error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pxe-mof-exiting-pxe-rom/b2374507-09b9-4665-a164-68354f5c3081
  6. Correct way to run scripts in automated, unattended Windows installation

Correct way to run scripts in automated, unattended Windows installation: I have some custom scripts that I have written to customise Windows 10 such as removing bloatware and setting file explorer options via Registry Editor that I use to apply to all users and/or the system. I have created a `autounattend.xml` Answer File with some simple...
  7. OOBE Unattended install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    OOBE Unattended install: I am trying to be able to quickly provision machines with windows pre-installed. I created the below answer file and named it unattend.xml. I put this on the root of a blank flash drive and booted, it did not grab the file. Did i miss something? <?xml version="1.0"...
  8. uninstall is there another way

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    uninstall is there another way: Why cant i uninstall this[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uninstall-is-there-another-way/63a97353-efb4-4ce0-9757-75bc5b51e67f
  9. Unattended install question

Unattended install question: Unattended install of custom install.wim working well except for a few things. In unattend.xml, I have <HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>true</HideWirelessSetupInOOBE> but I was still asked to connect to Wireless. I was also asked to choose Privacy settings for my device. Is there an...
  10. Issue with "CopyProfile" option in Unattended Install

in Windows 10 Support
    Issue with "CopyProfile" option in Unattended Install: I have been creating generalized images for deployment in an enterprise scenario. In order to do so, I've installed Windows 10, booted into audit mode from the Welcome Screen, then customized Windows. After this, I can run sysprep with an unattend file (generalized mode) and...