Windows 10: Another Windows 10 update causes trouble, this time with Word 2016

Discus and support Another Windows 10 update causes trouble, this time with Word 2016 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Another Windows 10 update causes trouble, this time with Word 2016 By Darren Allan, It's a minor issue, but an annoying one for some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by hTconeM9user, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Another Windows 10 update causes trouble, this time with Word 2016

Another Windows 10 update causes trouble, this time with Word 2016

By Darren Allan,

It's a minor issue, but an annoying one for some

Microsoft hasn't had much luck when it comes to tweaking its various bits of software of late, and the Redmond truck has suffered another update fender-bender, this time affecting Microsoft Word 2016 users running Windows 10.

The problem has been caused by a Windows 10 update unleashed late last week, namely Cumulative Update KB3124200, which Microsoft noted made some tweaks and offered "improved functionality" for the OS (yes, a typically vague patch description).

Except it didn't improve Microsoft Word's functionality, and as The Register reports, it caused Word's Normal.dotm template to be renamed, then recreated and reset to its default settings (losing the user any customisation and macros saved in the template).

Not normal

As 'Rob L', Group Engineering Microsoft Word, posted on the Answers.microsoft.com thread regarding this issue, what's happening is that the existing Normal.dotm is being renamed to Normal.dotm.old during startup.

So the good news is that this is simple to cure, as all the settings are still saved in this file, which is easy enough to recover from the Templates directory. If you're affected by this problem, check out the full instructions on the link posted below

Redmond suffered a substantial number of complaints over missteps with the major November update for Windows 10, plus it has also recently been under fire over issues with its new Surface devices, and a raft of firmware updates which have been pushed out shortly after launch – with some arguing that the company simply isn't testing this stuff enough before it is loosed on the user base.

Source

Another Windows 10 update causes trouble, this time with Word 2016 | TechRadar

:)

hTconeM9user, Dec 21, 2015

2. Problem transferring Word doc

Before I purchased Microsoft Word 2016 for my new PC (with Windows 10 Home) I got on the chat line and asked if the Word 2016 program would open and allow me to edit doc's from my old PC (with Windows 10 upgrade) and was told that yes, the Word 2016 was
    backwards compatible. I purchased the Word 2016 and installed it on my new computer. I transferred a document from my old PC to a USB and opened it in the Word 2016 program. I made edits to the doc and saved it. Now every time I try to open the doc in Word
    2016, it shows up on the documents but when I try to open it I get a message saying"The Directory Name isn't valid (L:\***.doc)".

I have to insert the USB with the old document to open the one on Word 2016. It then opens the doc with the updated edits and will let me edit it again. I save it but have to go through the above to open it again even though it is showing up on Word 2016.
    How can I save this doc in Word 2016 without re-inserting the USB every time? Can I change the Directory somehow or save it to Word 2016 with out re-inserting the USB every time?

GlockBill100, Dec 21, 2015
  3. Display driver has stopped working and has recovered error

I am running a very good spec PC. I only started to get this error yesterday. It also mentions Windows 8 (R) which is strange as I am using Windows 10. Has a recent Windows update caused this problem? NB I don't play games at all so there was nothing very
    hungry running at the time, probably only Chrome, Outlook 2016 and Word 2016.

Johnny Bassman, Dec 21, 2015
Thema:

Another Windows 10 update causes trouble, this time with Word 2016

1. Another Windows 10 update causes trouble, this time with Word 2016 - Similar Threads - Another update causes

2. Having Trouble Updating Windows Server 2016

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Having Trouble Updating Windows Server 2016: Hi, Ihave been trying to update my Windows Server 2016, But its giving me a hardtime. 1. Tried Get Updates in Windows Settings- Its Seraching for eternity.2. Tried updating manually- Searching for update on this computer and struck there.3. SFC Scannow in Cmd promt- Struck in...
  3. Windows 10 Label printing in Word 2016

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Label printing in Word 2016: How do fix labels not lining up properly in Word 2016 using Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-label-printing-in-word-2016/f96efd16-c12f-4ebf-9d2c-a8190405be64
  4. Outlook & Word 2016

in Windows 10 Customization
    Outlook & Word 2016: The last week or there abouts when I receive an email message in outlook it seems to play the default sound rather than the one I’ve assigned. The sounds ‘Desktop mail notification’ and ‘New Mail Notification’ were set back to default in control panel – sounds. So, I set them...
  5. Dictate Word 2016.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dictate Word 2016.: Is there a program called dictate that I can download and use with Word 2016. If so where can I go to download it? Thank you in advance. Mike *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  6. Word 2016

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Word 2016: I am unable to open home page I have reinstalled the product but I still cannot open it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-2016/1534d006-b45d-41a6-85c6-cb5274dcc1f4"
  7. Trouble with Word

Trouble with Word: I have window 365 and Office 10 on my computer. Since the last update (which happens automatically or I wouldn't have them) my word program is giving me tons of grief. I often put photos in my document. Like to move them around and see how the document looks. Since the latest...
  8. word 2016 dissappeared

word 2016 dissappeared: I purchased word 2016 in 2016 and used it quite often to create quite a few documents and without notice or any action from me it disappeared along with my documents, how do I get it back?...
  9. Windows update causing issue with MS Word 2016 Clipboard

Windows update causing issue with MS Word 2016 Clipboard: The 2018-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4284822) windows update is causing Windows MS Word 2016 Clipboard to not work properly. I installed the update and experienced the issue. I uninstalled the update and the issue did not occur...
  10. Excluding update for Word 2016 - Windows 10 Creators Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Excluding update for Word 2016 - Windows 10 Creators Update: Hi, there is problematic Update for Microsoft Word 2016 (KB4011039). Is there a way of blocking its installation having uninstalled it? Update causes problems with text in merged cells which can be very annoying. Thx in advance. 94621