Windows 10: anti malware scanner

Discus and support anti malware scanner in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi I have tried Trend Micro, Emisoft and a couple of other stand alone scanners to check my a/v program - Defender. Each has been detrimental. One... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by maranna, Nov 21, 2015.

1. maranna Win User

anti malware scanner

Hi
    I have tried Trend Micro, Emisoft and a couple of other stand alone scanners to check my a/v program - Defender.
    Each has been detrimental. One left "bin" a folder that only Unlocker could remove.
    Another I had to use Revo to uninstall.
    Is there a reliable one that does not leave you sorry you used it. I use Defender with MBAM and Exploit behind a router but would like to occasionally check Defender which is not known for its integrity when it comes to detection.
    defender works well with Win 10 which it should and is light but I cannot have it both ways as far as detection goes.
    There are a couple that are notorious for false positives.
    TY

:)

maranna, Nov 21, 2015

2. Windows Defender compared with MS Safety Scanner Compared with Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool

Thank you for your question.

Microsoft Safety Scanner is scanner only and it contains removal for all malwares that have been detected by Microsoft Anti-Malware engine. Normally we use Safety Scanner when a system is infected and for whatever reason we are unable to install Anti-Virus
    software or Anti-Virus software is not working or there is non-Microsoft Anti-Malware there and we want to verify whether is there any virus which is being detected by Safety Scanner. MSRT has list of some of well known and dangerous malwares. The size of
    it is smaller compare to Safety Scanner, so if you want to rapidly check a system for malware or rescue it before install other Anti-Malware product , it is good tool, but it is not detecting all malwares and it is just good for a rapid malware removal to
    start other procedures to remove malware. For complete removal, it is better to use Safety Scanner.

Windows Defender has Safety Scanner engine and it is real-time protection and it supports Cloud-based scanning which is good for detecting unknown malwares. In general, if you are using Windows Defender, you don't need to run Safety Scanner or MSRT , you
    just need to update Windows Defender and run scan with it. Safety scanner is for systems which are using non-Microsoft Anti-Malware and you want to do a check with Microsoft Scanner without installing Microsoft Anti-Malware products. It is also good when you
    want to check a system with scanner.

There is also Windows Defender Offline which build into Windows 10 but you may download it for Windows 7 and it performs deeper scan before system boot up:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17466/windows-defender-offline-help-protect-my-pc

Cyber_Defend_Team, Nov 21, 2015
  3. Problem with Updating Windows Defender Offline

Windows Defender Offline runs before boot into Windows and that is why it is offline but you should remember it is still a anti-malware scanner and like any other anti-malware scanner, you will need to keep it update so it could detect new threats.

Cyber_Defend_Team, Nov 21, 2015
  4. simrick Win User

anti malware scanner

Hi.
    If you mean you'd like to run something every once and a while just to make sure Defender isn't missing something, you could use ESET online scanner. It's very good.

simrick, Nov 21, 2015
  5. HitmanPro is great, it uses multiple AV engines and it is scanning super fast, free version only scans.

TairikuOkami, Nov 21, 2015
  6. maranna Win User
    Thanks , I will give them a try.
    TY

maranna, Nov 21, 2015
  7. If you're using MBAM along with Defender then you should be all set

garydexter, Nov 22, 2015
  8. maranna Win User

anti malware scanner

It seems to be the case as 3 programs gave me a clean slate.
    TY

maranna, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

anti malware scanner

1. anti malware scanner - Similar Threads - anti malware scanner

2. Anti malware service

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Anti malware service: Anti malware services run every time I connect internet to my pc and consume all the available cpu. Should I keep them running? Or how to close them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/anti-malware-service/21c4996e-14fa-4db7-a476-aeee99527de9
  3. Anti malware

Anti malware: I have Windows 10. I think my computer is infected with malware. I ran malwarebytes and it did not show anything. When i scanned using windows defender, it showed potentially unwanted app PUA...piriform bundler. I have no idea what it is. I tried "Actions" to remove, but...
  4. Anti malware confusion

Anti malware confusion: I have a Hewlett Packard notebook running Windows 8.1 from 2015 and don't have any of the installation media. I want to keep using this for the time being. Upgrading to Windows 10 is proving sufficiently complex considerations for bootable system restore device, update...
  5. anti virus malware

anti virus malware: what is the best anti virus malware product to use https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/anti-virus-malware/071e19f9-9d23-4806-8462-06b6fc936657"
  6. Anti-malware

Anti-malware: My computer has been acting real buggy. Lagging a lot. Windows Defender doesn't find anything. Is there a better anti-malware I can use? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/anti-malware/76a2edee-f716-424e-ad5f-9873a1c0ffa8"
  7. anti virus and malware protection

anti virus and malware protection: Windows Security is now recognised now as being more than adequate for protection from viruses malware ransomeware ect. Will this eventually negate the need for third party software and what will happen to the likes of Bitdefender Kaspersky McAfee etc. Will people still...
  8. Anti virus and malware protection

Anti virus and malware protection: Is the Windows Defender very effective protection against any harms that may be? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/anti-virus-and-malware-protection/6a679aa5-3f2b-4172-84f6-b812aa914cfb
  9. Anti-malware question

Anti-malware question: Does anybody know if there is a better anti-malware than Windows Defender ? 30450
  10. Anti-virus and Anti-malware??

Anti-virus and Anti-malware??: 1. Do I need a particular anti-malware software , in addition to Anti-virus? 2. Is the paid version of Avast good and sufficient enough to reduce risks? 3. Is "malware" a collective term that includes ransomware, adware, spyware ...... or are they all different things...