Windows 10: Anti-ransomware protection in Fall Creators Update

Discus and support Anti-ransomware protection in Fall Creators Update in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Please activate the anti-ransomware protection in your Windows 10 Fall Creators Update PC. Ta • The Register Should I do this? Why didn't Microsoft... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Stevekir, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Stevekir Win User

Anti-ransomware protection in Fall Creators Update

Stevekir, Nov 13, 2017
  2. Jsssssssss, Nov 13, 2017
  3. Iamdope Win User
    How to protect windows 10

How should i protect my windows 10 preinstall insider preview Creator's update from wannacry ransomware?

Iamdope, Nov 13, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Up to you, it does help protect you. I have turned it on....

...it also has disadvantages. You start getting notifications that some apps you've been using for ages are being blocked. Imagine suddenly finding out that you can't save to your user folder any more. Then imagine that you are not 'technically minded', don't know why it's happening or how to let an app through Controlled Folder Access.

So far I've had to allow access for six executables, ranging from LibreOffice to Microsoft's own RoboCopy command.

5. Steve C Win User
    I have Kaspersky anti-virus but might uninstall it. I have Defender periodic scanning on but I don't see the option for Controlled Folder Access. Is this because Kaspersky anti-virus is enabled?

Steve C, Nov 13, 2017
  6. Cliff S New Member
    To expand on what Bree said, you will even have to add Windows own apps, programs, accessories, and tools to the list*Wink
    Here is the list I have so far, notice how many belong to Windows/Microsoft, even Office365*Eek
    (but for piece of mind, it's worth it, and you can always make a system image so you have a copy, and you can export the registry keys somewhere safe like OneDrive, for "just in case").

Anti-ransomware protection in  Fall Creators Update [​IMG]

See this tutorial and read all the posts in the thread: Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10 Security System Tutorials

I have created an Event Viewer Custom View make it easier to find the file you need to add to the allowed list, I also made a short video on how to use it to apply the file.

Cliff S, Nov 13, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Quite probably- real-time scanning is required for the feature to work. See the notes immediately following Brink's tutorial- if he gets confirmation of this effect of a 3rd party AV, he will amend the tutorial on this point

dalchina, Nov 13, 2017
  8. Stevekir Win User

Hmmmm. I think I will rely on my daily Macrium image of my C drive, stored on an external USB hard drive. The daily backup is quick - about 15 minutes - and doesn't slow the computer. My C drive contains only my OS and programs. I have several time-sequential backups of the rest of the files on the machine, on an internal hard drive and two USB hard drives.

Stevekir, Nov 13, 2017
  9. Cliff S New Member
    It's not really that hard to use and setup, I know, as I tried it in the beginning then shut it off, as I was too busy to keep letting things through, but then a week or two ago, on a Sunday, I started setting it up again, and added all my programs executables, including the ones for office, and then went through system32 and added Paint, Notepad, WordPad, Regedit(for when I export a key), and so on.

Now I's only a pain, when I'm in the middle of benchmarking and I get that popup, then I just let the benching software run through to get all the parts I need to add to the allowed list.

Some times only the executables are not enough, and .bin files that run sub functions/programs with in a program need to be added.
    Like today when I ran PCMark 10, I needed to add C:\ProgramData\Futuremark\PCMark 10\chops\dlc\pcm10-libreoffice\program\soffice.bin for the LibreOffice portion of the benchmark.

Cliff S, Nov 13, 2017
  10. Barman58 Win User
    Antiransomware is designed to protect data not the OS a complete OS destruction is simple to solve, compared to a state where all your data held on a device is unreadable as it is encrypted by someone other than you..

Always ensure that you have a copy of your actual data on at least one media that is NOT Connected in anyway to your operating system except for actual backup

Barman58, Nov 13, 2017
  11. Barman58 Win User
    I forgot to add - Don't forget to add your backup folders to the protected list - just in case the ransomware attack occurs whilst the drive is attached *Wink

BTW I do not use the free Windows AntiRansomware system but a paid one from BitDefender - It uses similar set-up of protected folders and whitelist of apps allowed access but has better controls

Barman58, Nov 13, 2017
  12. Stevekir Win User
    Yes. In addition to the two USB HDs which hold my backup data (they are usually connected and therefore at risk as you say) I make a manual backup of the data on my working data disc to another USB HD which is not otherwise connected and hidden where I hope a burglar would not find it. However, if the house burned down ....... There is a limit!

Stevekir, Nov 14, 2017
  13. Barman58 Win User

The simple process of storing the safety backup external to your home would improve the data security.
    Storing the drive concerned at a family Member's home, or that of a friend, or neighbour's would be Ideal - you could also make this a reciprocal arrangement where you store their data backup.

There is also of course the option of online storage, the cost of this would obviously depend on your data size and Internet access speeds but is a possibility.

Coming from a business/industrial background means that I do try to safeguard data more than most but even for a home user, things like family photos that cannot be replaced are worth a little time & effort (and money ), to protect

Barman58, Nov 14, 2017
  14. Its up to the user. If you are very security conscious such as not to open any attachments or links in emails or go to sites that are not trusted or shady, then you can leave it disabled. I heard that its very intrusive most of the times. But again, its up to how secure conscious is the user.

Your ultimate protection would be common sense (like mentioned above), patch your Windows and all software, and try to run as a Limited User account (if possible).

And of course, backup your data.

win10freak, Nov 14, 2017
  15. That's why I keep using Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware rather than turn on Controlled Folder Access.

Matthew Wai, Nov 18, 2017
Thema:

1. Anti-ransomware protection in Fall Creators Update - Similar Threads - Anti ransomware protection

2. Fall creators update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fall creators update.: How do i stop or block this virus you call the fall creators update, 3 times this year it's uploaded itself onto my computer and every time i've had to revert to the previous build. Each time it installs itself i loose 3-4 hours of work time because i can't use my computer,...
  3. Fall creators update v1809

Fall creators update v1809: I have updated to windows 10 fall creators update v1809 and everything runs smooth until I use sleep mode. When I wake my computer from sleep everything lags extremely to the point where I need to restart, then everything is fine, until I use sleep again. Has anyone...
  4. Sandboxie and Fall Creators Update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sandboxie and Fall Creators Update: I don't know how many Sandboxie users we have here but there's got to be a few. If you are, and have upgraded W10 to FCU, you should install beta 5.21.6. It was released today. Sandboxie doesn't officially support FCU yet, but based on my personal case use, the beta is...
  5. Fall creators update not initializing(?)

Fall creators update not initializing(?): So when i booted my pc this morning, i was greeted with the "hello" screen of the windows update. But then it just stops fading in and giving me black screens amd half-faded in sentences. I decided to give it a while, but after 4 hours it hasn't gotten a step further. The...
  6. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not. 95662
  7. Fall Creator Update Query

Fall Creator Update Query: A couple of weeks ago I installed the Fall Creator Update.All installed well,but when I booted up all my Start Menu items were missing,also my about half my Desktop Icons had gone.so I reverted back to build 1703. have Microsoft sorted these things out,i am a bit unsure if I...
  8. fall creator update

fall creator update: Is there a general chart which might give info on when i would get fcu. I went from 7 to 10 just a couple weeks before free 10 stopped. 97324
  9. Fall Creators Update

Fall Creators Update: I just bit the bullet and went to Microsoft site and tried to install it. It hung up stuck on 24% and stayed there for an hour so I pulled the plug and it has gone back to the previous version. Now what? 99881
  10. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: I work for a company that has about 200 desktop and laptop running Windows 10 (most are HP's)on our own domain and after the fall creators update, we have experienced Unauthenticated network messages as well as download issues in all browsers (Edge, IE 11, Chrome, Firefox)....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ransomware protection add libreoffice

2. you cant save to libreoffice usb