Windows 10: Anti-virus and Anti-malware??

Discus and support Anti-virus and Anti-malware?? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; 1. Do I need a particular anti-malware software , in addition to Anti-virus? 2. Is the paid version of Avast good and sufficient enough to reduce... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Tsw88, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Tsw88 Win User

Anti-virus and Anti-malware??

1. Do I need a particular anti-malware software , in addition to Anti-virus?

2. Is the paid version of Avast good and sufficient enough to reduce risks?

3. Is "malware" a collective term that includes ransomware, adware, spyware ......
    or are they all different things that require another anti-ransomware, anti-adware, or anti-spyware software alone??

4. If I want to protect my computer from internet attacks, do I need another internet security software?

I am so confused about what I should buy or install to minimize the risks of my PC infecting with all those bad things. I have no idea what I should get started

:)

Tsw88, Apr 26, 2017

2. Anti-virus or not anti-virus?

yeh i'll agree with Psychomania here, i was reading the same thing in a computer magazine article the other day, its all hype as the Symbian and Windows Mobile platforms/kernels have been designed and are not so complex to be able to be adversely effected
    by the appearance of viruses

adrianhughesNSD, Apr 26, 2017
  3. haraldbig Win User
    Anti-virus or not anti-virus?

Do i need an anti-virus application in my phone (N95 upgraded with last sw)?

I`m using the the phone verry much on internet, hotmail (windows live innstalled) and another mail-application (online.no).

I`m thinking of F-secure. Do I need it?

haraldbig, Apr 26, 2017
  4. Anti-virus and Anti-malware??

There's plenty of posts on this. Bear in mind, I'm not overly adventurous out on the internet. Following some here, I've settled on Windows Defender & Firewall with Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner. Not telling what you should do, just what I've done.

Good luck.

Wiley Coyote, Apr 26, 2017
  5. No, but having some other, even just for an occasional ondemand scanning, would not hurt.

Like Emsisoft Emergency Kit or HitmanPro (it is free for scanning, runs a quick scan at startup).

Yes, but like any other AV, it is not perfect, you might still catch something.

Yes, malware term fits them all, any AV should detect them all, but there is software, which focuses on the most dangerous one, like mentioned anti-ransomware or anti-keylogger, which might provide a better protection against that category. Its effectiveness varies.

https://www.kaspersky.com/resource-c...lassifications

That is a though question, it depends, if you use WiFi, if you share files and etc.

But for starters, you should pick non-ISP DNS, it is free and works ASAP:

Top 10 Best Public DNS Servers & Fastest DNS Servers 2017

Some good pointers are here:

How to Stay Safe While Online | Gizmo's Freeware

TairikuOkami, Apr 26, 2017
  6. simrick Win User
    The best approach is a "layered" one; i.e. Anti-Virus+Antimalware+(some other things, below)+safe practices.

Avast Free is a good; paid is good too. Malwarebytes Free is good (if you remember to run your scans manually); paid is good too.

Ransomware is a type of malware infection.

There are a lot of things you can do to protect your computer, but the most important thing is the user interface. *Wink

Your decision will be based on what you do with your computer:
    Do you visit unknown pages through a search?
    Do you go to a lot of sites that are questionable?
    Do you torrent?
    Do you open every single email you get without paying attention to who it's from or what's inside it?

Anti-Virus+Anti-Malware is a good start.
    Avast and Malwarebytes are both good programs.
    Superantispyware (free or paid) will help with cookies and other nasties that might get by.
    Designating OpenDNS DNS servers on your NIC will help prevent you from navigating to known bad sites.
    ADWCleaner is a good tool for ferreting out bad stuff that sneaks in.
    WinPatrol is also another good one, but it will require you to pay attention to all the information it gives you to make decisions on whether to allow or deny stuff (gets on my nerves).

There are lots more. But the most important thing is YOU. Safe surfing, email awareness, etc., are all up to the user. You could have all the protection in the world, but if you tell the computer to download and install a piece of software that has a virus/malware/adware/spyware in it, the computer is going to do what you tell it to do. *Wink

simrick, Apr 27, 2017
  7. If I could add, and while it is not traditional Internet Security Software, you need a tested Backup and Restore process.

Likely one for your data and one for your OS.

One click on some email attachment and its happening. Even if you are being safe, someone on the network can release the dogs.

Lots of good software out there in this category as well. Macrium Reflect for OS images and I just copy data out of my machine on a prescribed schedule.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 27, 2017
  8. SoFine409 Win User

Hi Tsw88. While you will see that everyone has their favorite antivirus software, one especially effective step that you can take, in addition to antivirus software, is to make frequent backup images and store them off line so that if you are the victim of ransomware or virus that you will be able to restore your PC from the backup. Many people here use Macrium Reflect either the paid or free version and store the images on a NAS or a USB drive. This will also protect you from bad updates or accidental loss of files. If you don't already do this you really should look into this.

SoFine409, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Anti-virus and Anti-malware?? - Similar Threads - Anti virus Anti

2. Anti malware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Anti malware: I have Windows 10. I think my computer is infected with malware. I ran malwarebytes and it did not show anything. When i scanned using windows defender, it showed potentially unwanted app PUA...piriform bundler. I have no idea what it is. I tried "Actions" to remove, but...
  3. How to delete Seguarzo Anti Virus Malware if anti viruses not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to delete Seguarzo Anti Virus Malware if anti viruses not working: I CAnt delete Seguarzo anti virus says i need perms from administrator. when my account is an admin account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-seguarzo-anti-virus-malware-if-anti/1c05a4a1-c4e2-41ae-a3eb-e396028ed73b
  4. Do anti virus and anti malware programs do the same thing?

Do anti virus and anti malware programs do the same thing?: I've read in the past that one shouldn't run more than one anti viral app at a time to avoid slowing down my desktop or run into conflicts. I've been running Webroot SecureAnywhere simultaneously with MalwareBytes Premium going with the theory that they do different things....
  5. anti virus malware

anti virus malware: what is the best anti virus malware product to use https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/anti-virus-malware/071e19f9-9d23-4806-8462-06b6fc936657"
  6. Which are the most credible anti-virus/anti-malware review websites?

Which are the most credible anti-virus/anti-malware review websites?: Hello Which are the most credible anti-virus/anti-malware software review websites? Thanks J 139926
  7. Anti-malware

Anti-malware: My computer has been acting real buggy. Lagging a lot. Windows Defender doesn't find anything. Is there a better anti-malware I can use? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/anti-malware/76a2edee-f716-424e-ad5f-9873a1c0ffa8"
  8. anti virus and malware protection

anti virus and malware protection: Windows Security is now recognised now as being more than adequate for protection from viruses malware ransomeware ect. Will this eventually negate the need for third party software and what will happen to the likes of Bitdefender Kaspersky McAfee etc. Will people still...
  9. Anti virus and malware protection

Anti virus and malware protection: Is the Windows Defender very effective protection against any harms that may be? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/anti-virus-and-malware-protection/6a679aa5-3f2b-4172-84f6-b812aa914cfb
  10. Most anti-virus/anti-malware method of browsing

Most anti-virus/anti-malware method of browsing: It seems that so many anti-virus products are decent and do a fair job of protecting your computer, whether or not you pay for them. And all reviews I've read over the years usually conclude that free is best, because the "extra stuff" you get really don't help all that much...