Windows 10: Antimalware Service Executable using more memory than usual

Discus and support Antimalware Service Executable using more memory than usual in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; The status quo for me is for WD to be using in the range of 50 to 80 megabytes of memory, but right now it is using 115 megabytes of memory. Yeah it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by slicendice, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Antimalware Service Executable using more memory than usual

Yeah it varies a lot. If Windows is doing some background maintenance, WD can use a lot of RAM. Same goes for Windows Apps updates that get updated in the background and you would not even notice it unless watching Task Manager. *Smile

slicendice, Apr 4, 2018

2. For the past week or so, I have noticed the Antimalware Service Executable (Windows Defender) sitting there using much more memory than it used to, sometimes more than 300 megabytes. I have no idea what it is doing, but this means that it will be less time before I inevitably have to reboot because of the memory leak I talked about in my very first post. Why is this happening? If you've read my previous posts, you'll know that I am on Windows 10 1703, just in case that's relevant.

:)

allam447635, Apr 12, 2018
  3. Antimalware Service Executable & Cortana Using Too much ram

My laptop has 64-Bit Operating System with 4 GB RAM. Most of the RAM is used by Antimalware Service Executable & Cortana which are 70 MB and 40 MB respectively. Usually RAM usage(Memory in Task Manager) is more than 40 % even if I am not using any software.
    My friend said that RAM usage must be below 20 %. How to reduce this usage?

#sorryforenglish

DhavalGajera, Apr 12, 2018
  4. Antimalware Service Executable using more memory than usual

Antimalware Service Executable using increasing amounts of memory as computer is running

Running Windows 10 64-bit (1709/Fall Creators Update) the Antimalware Service Executable (aka Windows Defender or 'MsMpEng.exe' IIRC) uses increasing amounts of memory as my computer is running as if there is a memory leak of sorts.

I'll start my computer up for example and looking at task manager and the process is using just under 40 MB of RAM which is normal for when real-time protection is off as far as I can recall. However, as the computer is running, this memory slow creeps up at
    about a rate of 80 MB/hour and shows no sign of stopping. I was having another issue with mumble recently where it launched consuming half a gigabyte of memory which is extremely odd as it usually idles at about 16 to 20 MB. The new Firefox 57 has also been
    consuming loads of memory but that may just be the design of the new version.

I am very lost for ideas and reinstalls haven't helped, implying if there is any malware then it is persistent in other ways than just running off of the disk.

ADAMPOKE111, Apr 12, 2018
  5. The more files your system access the more RAM your AV use. 300MB is not much. I've seen WD to go up to over 1.5GB for a short period while doing heavy IO on HDD and then returning down to a few hundred MB.

I don't think you have much to worry about. Maybe check what else you have running in background that could cause a memory issue increase. *Smile

slicendice, Apr 12, 2018
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    May have no bearing on it at all, but want to point out in 6 months 1703 will go out of support. I'm sure you're aware you are a release behind, and when MS gets the bugs out soon, 2 releases behind. There have been fixes for memory leaks and such. And much more. Just advising.....

Antimalware Service Executable using more memory than usual [​IMG]

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...cle-fact-sheet

f14tomcat, Apr 12, 2018
  7. The status quo for me is for WD to be using in the range of 50 to 80 megabytes of memory, but right now it is using 115 megabytes of memory.

allam447635, Apr 12, 2018
Thema:

Antimalware Service Executable using more memory than usual

1. Antimalware Service Executable using more memory than usual - Similar Threads - Antimalware Service Executable

2. Windows Explorer and antimalware service executable using more memory for no reason

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer and antimalware service executable using more memory for no reason: Hi, I am Sakib from Bangladesh using an HP Zbook Firefly 14 G8 for almost 4 months. Recently, I've reinstalled Windows 11 because I accidentally cleared TPM from UEFI. After some days, the programs I needed I had already installed. but now I can see Windows Explorer, Desktop...
  3. Windows Explorer and antimalware service executable using more memory for no reason

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer and antimalware service executable using more memory for no reason: Hi, I am Sakib from Bangladesh using an HP Zbook Firefly 14 G8 for almost 4 months. Recently, I've reinstalled Windows 11 because I accidentally cleared TPM from UEFI. After some days, the programs I needed I had already installed. but now I can see Windows Explorer, Desktop...
  4. Antimalware Service Executable using very much memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Antimalware Service Executable using very much memory: Antimalware Service Executable using very much memory and CPU. I tried several method like adding MsMpEng.exe in exclusion list and from task managerschedule unchecking run with higest privileges and unchecking every option in conditions in Windows Defender Scheduled Scan but...
  5. Antimalware Service Executable using very much memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Antimalware Service Executable using very much memory: Antimalware Service Executable using very much memory and CPU. I tried several method like adding MsMpEng.exe in exclusion list and from task managerschedule unchecking run with higest privileges and unchecking every option in conditions in Windows Defender Scheduled Scan but...
  6. Antimalware service executable using lot of memory and cpu.

Antimalware service executable using lot of memory and cpu.: I checked the task manager and found out that the antimalware service executable is using a lot of memory and cpu everytime.Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/antimalware-service-executable-using-lot-of-memory/7287fedd-93e6-4a1d-a248-5219f90011ac
  7. AntiMalware Service Executable using high memory.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AntiMalware Service Executable using high memory.: I have no idea why but AntiMalware Service Executable is using high memory. I have tried turning off Real time Protection and clearing any possible viruses off my computer but just seems to stay at a high memory usage averaging around 50% memory....
  8. AntiMalware Service Executable using high memory.

AntiMalware Service Executable using high memory.: I have no idea why but AntiMalware Service Executable is using high memory. I have tried turning off Real time Protection and clearing any possible viruses off my computer but just seems to stay at a high memory usage averaging around 50% memory....
  9. Why "Antimalware Service Executable" use a high memory?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why "Antimalware Service Executable" use a high memory?: When I open Task Manager, some service use a high memory. The service name is "Antimalware Service Executable". Please give me answer how to stop the service?...
  10. Very high memory use with Antimalware Service Executable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Very high memory use with Antimalware Service Executable: Antimalware Service Executable takes up a very large amount of my computer's memory, over 0.7-0.8 GB. This happened after I ran a full scan; however, I am concerned because the amount continually increases whenever I turn on the computer. I also have a phone that had ~0.7 GB...