Windows 10: Antivirus Question

Discus and support Antivirus Question in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Have windows 10 laptop. I know windows defender is preinstalled on it. I noticed it was basically microsoft essentials. I had avast and malwarebytes... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by paulyjustin, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Antivirus Question

Have windows 10 laptop. I know windows defender is preinstalled on it. I noticed it was basically microsoft essentials. I had avast and malwarebytes installed as well since i read these are recommended. Both are free version though. I read that however you are really suppose to only use 1 antivirus and using more than 1 can cause problems. First off, is this true/false? And what would you recommend me uninstall? The thing is does having windows defender/microsoft essentials enough to protect you from viruses? I always felt like it was very light and isn't strong like avast etc.

I had installed malwarebytes because i read that was good as well. I dont remember where but somewhere mentioned download avast and malwarebytes.

Which antivirus should i use for my laptop? Would you recommend only using 1 or 2 and if so which one. I assume you should never remove windows defender from it? The reason why i like avast is i would get messages like this site is a threat etc so i felt it does more than say windows defender.

:)

paulyjustin, Feb 22, 2017
  2. Glen H524 Win User

AntiVirus Question

I just downloaded the new Microsoft Windows 10. I previously had ESET NOD Antivirus but can't find it anywhere. Is this something that has to be downloaded and installed all over again?

Glen H524, Feb 22, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Antivirus Question

Windows 10 includes Windows Defender. You would be well-advised to use a third-party product.

BulldogXX, Feb 22, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

Antivirus Question

If you like Avast and Malwarebytes then use them.

Malwarebytes is not a Antivirus and can run along side one. I use Defender and Malwarebytes personally. If you prefer Avast to Defender then use that alongside Malwarebytes by all means. Avast will automatically disable Defender when you install it as, as you say, you should only run one AV.

5. Bobby Phoenix, Feb 22, 2017
  6. Jeddie Win User
    This question gets asked all the time. And there is no right or wrong answer. If there was one AV that suits everyone, then we would all be using it.

Jeddie, Feb 22, 2017
  7. pparks1 Win User
    Use whichever you like. I use Defender, with an occasional Malwarebytes scan.

pparks1, Feb 22, 2017
  8. simrick Win User

Antivirus Question

*Ditto*Ditto

simrick, Feb 22, 2017
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    Well the new version of Malwarebytes 3.0 seems to think they are a Antivirus *Rolleyes .... (This version still has a few bugs thou )

Announcing Malwarebytes 3.0, a next-generation antivirus replacement

I am thrilled to announce the launch of our next-generation product, Malwarebytes 3.0! This product is built to provide comprehensive protection against today’s threat landscape so that you can finally replace your traditional antivirus.

Our engineers have spent the last year building this product from the ground up and have combined our Anti-Malware, Anti-Exploit, Anti-Ransomware, Website Protection, and Remediation technologies all into a single product which we simply call “Malwarebytes.” And it scans your computer 4 times faster!

OldMike65, Feb 22, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
    Do you work for them Mike or was that supposed to be a quote?

11. Those 2 products fall into the category of 4 products, which managed to remove all infections.

12-Month Endurance Test Reveals the Best Malware-Removal Antivirus for Windows

MSE uses the same signatures as WD, so the detection is pretty much the same.

TairikuOkami, Feb 22, 2017
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    That is a quote from Their Webpage Hali *Smile I'm retired, I don't work for anybody. *Smile

OldMike65, Feb 22, 2017
  13. Barnaby44 Win User

Antivirus Question

I'm running as a trial now Avast and it works quite happily along side MB3.
    I'll probably install the purchased version when the trial runs out.

Regards

Barnaby44, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Antivirus Question

1. Antivirus Question - Similar Threads - Antivirus Question

2. antivirus similar to April 23, 2023, concerning "phish!pz" question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    antivirus similar to April 23, 2023, concerning "phish!pz" question: running Windows 11 Home, Version 23H2, OS build 22631.2861. Experience Pack 1000.22681.1000.0. 16Gig memory; Intel Core I7-10700 @ 2.90 gHz. Chrome is default browser, and Thunderbird is default email program.I, apparently, have a Trojan, "HTML/Phish!pz" that is preventing me...
  3. antivirus similar to April 23, 2023, concerning "phish!pz" question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    antivirus similar to April 23, 2023, concerning "phish!pz" question: running Windows 11 Home, Version 23H2, OS build 22631.2861. Experience Pack 1000.22681.1000.0. 16Gig memory; Intel Core I7-10700 @ 2.90 gHz. Chrome is default browser, and Thunderbird is default email program.I, apparently, have a Trojan, "HTML/Phish!pz" that is preventing me...
  4. Question about Comodo Antivirus Update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Question about Comodo Antivirus Update: If after comodo antivirus and firewall updated, I scared it will ruin my genshin game preinstallation and updates as new genshin version zip files will come inside my genshin impact folder. I don't want it quarantine genshin new version zip files will come inside genshin...
  5. Windows 11 S mode - antivirus question

Windows 11 S mode - antivirus question: Just got a PC with Windows 11 S mode. I understand its running security in the background. However, I have a hard drive to plug in and I want to scan it. Any way to do a quick scan or doesn't it work like that? Just want to make sure the hard drive is virus free....
  6. Re:Previous question: "Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus..."

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Re:Previous question: "Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus...": Previous question: "Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus..." - KB2267602 was the last defender update that installed. There is usually a daily update and there still is on my other laptop with WIndows 10 OS. Is there a known fix for this? "The other...
  7. Antivirus Security Questions

Antivirus Security Questions: While I realize that this is not an antivirus forum, hopefully someone here uses or is familiar with Free Avast Antivirus since the Avast forum, is helpful-Please answer each question separately: 1a. Menu->Settings->Protection->Wifi Inspector. 'Network3 ' shows Public...
  8. S mode question about antivirus

S mode question about antivirus: If I switch out of S mode, will I need to get additional antivirus? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/s-mode-question-about-antivirus/2f8caeb9-ff96-49ef-b2c6-e0ac1387fd4c
  9. MSE & installing new Antivirus program, questions.

MSE & installing new Antivirus program, questions.: Since MSE will no longer work on my Win7 PC. I wanted to install BitDefender program. But before the install of BD is complete, BD is asking for removal/uninstall of MSE. 1 Should I remove MSE? Since MS says it will no longer protect my PC. 2 Or, should I just keep not...
  10. Meltdown/Spectre & Antivirus little Question

Meltdown/Spectre & Antivirus little Question: Hi All Currently running Avast Free on all systems, Malwarebytes Free on all system as secondary scanner, now what i'm wondering is if i'd be safe if I choose to use Defender and Malwarebytes Free when Redstone 4 is Offical next month, as not sure if Avast slows things...