Windows 10: Antivirus - suggestions?

Discus and support Antivirus - suggestions? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello. I want to disable Windows Defender as I have feeling it's eating a lot of my memory from using a lot of resources, or whatever, so I need to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Squickly, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Squickly Win User

Antivirus - suggestions?

Hello. I want to disable Windows Defender as I have feeling it's eating a lot of my memory from using a lot of resources, or whatever, so I need to download some light free AV... do you have any recommendations? Maybe Bitdefender? Anyone using that AV here or at least tried it? Any other suggestions are welcomed.

:)

Squickly, Feb 9, 2016
  2. Scyfth Win User
    Scyfth, Feb 9, 2016
  3. Antivirus

My storage on the phone keeps on moving up as I delete items. I need a way out, probably an antivirus

MarcellinusSalifu, Feb 9, 2016
  4. Antivirus - suggestions?

Hi squickly, Bitdefender free is not compatible with win 10. But there are quite a few alternatives, AVG, 360 TSE Essentials, check out the antivirus thread here for more info.

thegeriatric, Feb 9, 2016
  5. I'd probably go Avira or Avast if you want something free.

DeaconFrost, Feb 11, 2016
  6. jerrypc1 Win User
    Hi I use BitDefender free on both my computers and they work great .Jerry*Smile

jerrypc1, Feb 29, 2016
  7. "it's eating a lot of my memory from using a lot of resources, or whatever"

So.. how have you come to this conclusion when you don't even seem sure as to what it is actually doing?

garydexter, Feb 29, 2016
  8. snoopy51 Win User

Antivirus - suggestions?

How much memory you have in your system, 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 Gb, 16 GB or 32 GB?
    Do you have any empirical evidence that Windows Defender is eating a lot of memory?

snoopy51, Feb 29, 2016
  9. WHS
    whs Win User
    On my system the defender takes 76MB.

10. snoopy51 Win User
    Yes, but you have 8 GB memory so 76 MB only take .1%. That is not bad at all. On other hands, if he has only 512 MB memory that will be 15%+ memory utilization and that is a lot!

Wait, you need at least 1 GB for 32 bit or 2 GB for 64 bit in Windows 10. If you have a small netbook with only 1 GB memory and you use 76 MB that is almost 7.6% utilization. It is all relative...

snoopy51, Feb 29, 2016
  11. prikker Win User
    Avira free, Malwarebytes paid because of realtimeprotection, but there is a free version for scanning and removing malware. But most important, you!

prikker, Feb 29, 2016
  12. YodaHulk Win User
    I used to always use free anti-virus programs. You can get by, but it seems like you will eventually get a virus. If you're savvy and have the time, you can google how to clean pretty much any virus these days and get it off using free tools. After reading a bunch of positive reviews, I finally tried Bitdefender Total Security 2016. You can use it for 30 days for free, so I decided to try it. I was so impressed that I actually bought it. You get deals once your trial period is almost up. I ended up getting half off of the yearly price. (Think I paid $40.)

Anyway, just thought I'd share my positive experience since I literally just purchased about a week ago.

YodaHulk, Mar 1, 2016
  13. Ditendra Win User

Antivirus - suggestions?

Using 360 Total Security these last months & I'm very satisfied with it. It's free, powerful, has 2 antivirus engines & does it's job well. However I have no idea how resource hog is it. I got 16GB RAM, so it was never an issue for me.

Ditendra, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Antivirus - suggestions?

1. Antivirus - suggestions? - Similar Threads - Antivirus suggestions

2. Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus install issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus install issues: Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus will not install on their own. I have to manually check for updates for them to install. Until then, my windows computer will not go into hibernation mode....
  3. Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus install issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus install issues: Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus will not install on their own. I have to manually check for updates for them to install. Until then, my windows computer will not go into hibernation mode....
  4. Defender not updating on w8.1, Please suggest a free antivirus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defender not updating on w8.1, Please suggest a free antivirus: My w8.1 Window updates have not been working for some 2-3 years, Automatic Maintenance has also not been working for the same duration, now Windows Defender has also started NOT updating virus definitions.I can manually download mpam-fe.exe and run to update that, but that is...
  5. Defender not updating on w8.1, Please suggest a free antivirus

Defender not updating on w8.1, Please suggest a free antivirus: My w8.1 Window updates have not been working for some 2-3 years, Automatic Maintenance has also not been working for the same duration, now Windows Defender has also started NOT updating virus definitions.I can manually download mpam-fe.exe and run to update that, but that is...
  6. by the way can someone suggest me a free antivirus software without any gimmicks??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    by the way can someone suggest me a free antivirus software without any gimmicks??: by the way can someone suggest me a free antivirus software without any gimmicks?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/by-the-way-can-someone-suggest-me-a-free-antivirus/00651d33-4138-42f1-a420-b3c4c0c77761
  7. by the way can someone suggest me a free antivirus software without any gimmicks??

by the way can someone suggest me a free antivirus software without any gimmicks??: by the way can someone suggest me a free antivirus software without any gimmicks?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/by-the-way-can-someone-suggest-me-a-free-antivirus/00651d33-4138-42f1-a420-b3c4c0c77761
  8. by the way can someone suggest me a free antivirus software without any gimmicks??

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. I want to change antivirus. Suggestions?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I want to change antivirus. Suggestions?: Hi everyone, I want to change antivirus and ask you for suggestions (free solutions). Brief summary: after practically always using Avira, about two years ago I switched to Kaspersky, while at work I use the company choice: Sophos (with Intercept X), having been obliged (by...
  10. What low impact FREE antivirus can you suggest for Windows 10 Home?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What low impact FREE antivirus can you suggest for Windows 10 Home?: Hello! I am currently on a search for a low impact free antivirus for my Windows 10 Home. I'm currently running 360 Total Security as main antivirus while SMADAV as my second line defense. My PC is running on 2GB RAM and 500GB HDD. 360 TS has been my antivirus for two...