Windows 10: Any assistance again - Windows Update KB4048955 just not installing

Discus and support Any assistance again - Windows Update KB4048955 just not installing in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello all... I've posted this issue previously, but I have been unable to solve this issue. To begin with, I've never had any previous issues with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by benherrmann, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Any assistance again - Windows Update KB4048955 just not installing

Hello all...

I've posted this issue previously, but I have been unable to solve this issue. To begin with, I've never had any previous issues with any windows 10 updates - none at all. I'm running Windows 10 Creators Edition 64 bit on an Intel I7 system with no issues at all.

Beginning over a week ago, I did the Windows Update and it downloaded and began trying to install:

2017-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for amd64-based Systems (KB4048955)

Each time it finished installing, it asked for the "restart," which I did. Then during the booting process, a blue screen came up and it started showing a progress indicator - going up to 30% before actually rebooting the PC. Once the PC started booting up again, it showed another blue screen with the progress indicator showing again. It began at 30% and then worked up to the 90% indicator when it stops abruptly and I then get the following error message:

Windows 10 Update unable to complete - please wait while undoing changes.

It then reboots again back to my PC. The problem arises that is that I've tried installing this update - both via Windows Update and doing it manually - for more than a week now and it won't install.

And the problem now is that I cannot do a normal Windows Update because this security update just hangs there asking me to "Restart" my system as shown in the screen capture below.

Any assistance again - Windows Update KB4048955 just not installing [​IMG]

When I go into my windows update history, it shows me this - that they were not successful in being installed.

So what do I do here? I've ran several excellent Windows 10 repair programs - all to no avail. My Windows Update is unable to detect any other updates that may be out there due to the fact that this one security update which was released a week ago, just won't install.

Help!!!!!

:)

benherrmann, Nov 22, 2017

2. KB4048955 double install issue

It still not fixed. Tried today (26 november 2017). Reproducable on any machine. Tried today on 2 (absolutly different) machines. Steps:

- Clean install Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

- Click "Check Updates" (it will install KB4048955 and other updates)

- Restart

- Wait 1 - 2 hours

- Click "Check Updates"

- It will install KB4048955 again

Note that both installs was succesful. Did not tried wait 1 - 2 hours again and check will it install 3rd time. But on other guy screenshot in similar thread I saw that it was sucessfully installed 12 times. LOL. Windows Update in new build is a joke. Rolled
    back to 1703. Will wait fix.

P.S. Btw I called my friends who updated from Creators Update to Fall Creators Update. They checked their Windows Update Log and confirmed that KB4048955 was also installed several times (succesfuly) on their machines. So I assume this bug is reproducable
    on ANY machine and I wonder how Microsoft did not catch it yet.

Alexander Kochetov, Nov 22, 2017
  3. KB4048955 repeatedly re-installs

On 15 Nov, I upgraded my Windows 10 PC to Version 1709, then installed the November updates.

KB4048955 was reported to have installed successfully but then reappears as a an update waiting to install.

I have tried uninstalling the update but the next attempt to install KB4048955 gives the same result.

Currently KB4048955 has successfully installed 27 times!

The OS Build is still displayed as 16299.15.

Any suggestions?

RobWarren782, Nov 22, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Any assistance again - Windows Update KB4048955 just not installing

Hi, I had difficulty with that one- but no error message. It simply showed as still requiring a restart in Update History. I had to uninstall it then reinstall it.

Although I don't think you'll see it there in your case, have a look in Control panel, Programs and Features, Installed updates and see if it's listed. If it is, uninstall it.

If not, see if you have a system restore point before it's first arrival.

Run the Windows update troubleshooter.

Search using the error message.

Inspect the update logs:
    Trying to find out why it failed from the Windows update logs is not straightforward. Here are some guides.
    Generating the Log Files for Troubleshooting Windows Updates for Windows 10 | Windows 10 content from Windows IT Pro
    Windows 10, WindowsUpdate.log and how to view it with PowerShell or Tracefmt.exe Charles Allen’s Blog
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/read-w...-in-windows-10

This may be useful once you have readable logs as a indication of what to look for. As to accessing them,the info at the start is out of date. See above.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...pdate.log-file

dalchina, Nov 22, 2017
  5. Thanks for the tips - but nothing worked. It is not listed in my programs area. I am curious - and I know somebody previously said this didn't matter - but why is the cummulative update that I'm having problems with an AMD64 bit version?

I also downloaded manually the version for Windows 64. Keep in mind that the install works fine while windows is up. It's just during the reboot process that the installation completion process runs into a brick wall. Very frustrating to say the least.

The big issue now is that I can't do a regular (ongoing) windows update because this 2017-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for amd64-based Systems (KB4048955) constantly shows up as needing to reboot to install.

And no matter how many times you restart, it cannot complete the update and just sits there waiting to be rebooted again. I wonder if anybody else is experiencing something like this.

benherrmann, Nov 22, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Did you look in the right place?
    Please post a screenshot like this to confirm - not programs but installed updates:

You need to uninstall it. If you can't, you need to go back to a point where it is not installed as I commented.

As to why you are offered the AMD version... sorry, no idea.

What I suggest is you manually download the appropriate update from the link in the post for that update in the News section here, uninstall it, then manually update it.

dalchina, Nov 23, 2017
  7. Whenever I use a "fix windows update" feature within a given Windows 10 repair program (i.e. Tweaking.com - Windows Repair, or even Microsoft's Fix Windows program download), once you run that, it erases your installed update history listing (see below). So right now, this is all that is showing under my history of installed updates.

So based on this, I obviously cannot uninstall anything. But previously - prior to the install history being started all over again - I did go here to uninstall the previous security update. But strangely, after I went through the process of uninstalling it and it asked to reboot, the exact same scenario took place - meaning, during the booting back up again, I received the same message "Unable to Complete Updates - Wait as changes are being rolled back" (or something very similar). That's the frustrating part about all of this.

As for downloading it manually, I mentioned a few times above that I did this already and tried installing it half a dozen times - all to no avail. It still won't let me do it during the reboot process. In other words, it appears as if the install is going just fine because it asks you to reboot to "complete the installation process." But somewhere abut the 90% complete process marking point during the boot up (white letter on blue screen) is where it fails to complete and it rolls back everything.

I'd hate to have to start all over again - that is, wipe my hard drive clean and begin with a new install because I have over 400 Gigs of various programs stored on my C drive. That's why I'm desperately trying to follow through on any suggestions.

benherrmann, Nov 23, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Please use the Control Panel not Settings, as I said and showed above.

Ok, here's how:
    Windows key + S
    Type Control
    Click Control Panel
    Click Programs and Features
    Click View Installed Updates
    Look down the list for your update. Hopefully it is there. If it is, uninstall it and reboot.

If it isn't listed, then it will be necessary, as I said, to search using the error number or the logs, or do other basic checks.

- shouldn't be necessary- ever heard of an in-place upgrade repair install which keeps all programs and data?
    and before that there are the SFC and DISM commands...

dalchina, Nov 23, 2017
  9. Thanks - and no, it's not listed in Programs (checked that yesterday and today) and it's not there.

Tell me about what you just mentioned (below):

- shouldn't be necessary- ever heard of an in-place upgrade repair install which keeps all programs and data?
    and before that there are the SFC and DISM commands...

How do I do this, or where can I find this program/feature?

benherrmann, Nov 23, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Ok, thanks for confirming that. Maybe cos it's apparently the wrong update..but not according to link below.

Microsoft Update Catalog
    lists ARM, but not AMD...

Getting 1709 update for despite Intel - Microsoft Community
    gives an answer from MS on the name.

Discussion here:
    Cumulative Update KB4048955 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.64 - Page 4 - Windows 10 Forums

in-place upgrade repair- basically you boot up normally, and start setup.exe from a mounted iso or boot disk for the base build of the build you have installed.
    (There's a tutorial in the Tutorial section).
    Extremely useful repair method.

Could you post a screenshot of your control panel list of installed updates please?

And do you have a restore point before this problem started?

dalchina, Nov 23, 2017
  11. I went here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...date-readiness

I ran all the tests recommended there and downloaded the associated test software. In the end, I followed directions which had me do a command based scan - which took around 15 minutes total. This scan found that several files were corrupted, and it fixed them. After the reboot, all worked just fine and the Windows update was finally correctly installed.

Thanks for your recommendations and efforts.

benherrmann, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Any assistance again - Windows Update KB4048955 just not installing - Similar Threads - assistance again Update

2. Windows 10 update 22H2 is installed again and again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 update 22H2 is installed again and again: winver output: version 1803 OS Build 17134.1246, Windows 10 ProTrying to install 22H2, but it- installs and keeps telling in updates history it requires a reboot - rebooting the computer doesn't help- after I "Check Updates" again, system commences downloading and installing...
  3. Windows 10 update 22H2 is installed again and again

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update 22H2 is installed again and again: winver output: version 1803 OS Build 17134.1246, Windows 10 ProTrying to install 22H2, but it- installs and keeps telling in updates history it requires a reboot - rebooting the computer doesn't help- after I "Check Updates" again, system commences downloading and installing...
  4. Any way to fix fps problems after the windows update assistant just ran and updated my OS?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Any way to fix fps problems after the windows update assistant just ran and updated my OS?: I had really good and stable fps in many games +144 and after the update tool ran in my pc and updated the OS I can’t play any game on my pc, all the drivers are up to date and I’m getting unstable and low fpsI tried updating to windows 11 but the problem seems to persistMy...
  5. Any way to fix fps problems after the windows update assistant just ran and updated my OS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Any way to fix fps problems after the windows update assistant just ran and updated my OS?: I had really good and stable fps in many games +144 and after the update tool ran in my pc and updated the OS I can’t play any game on my pc, all the drivers are up to date and I’m getting unstable and low fpsI tried updating to windows 11 but the problem seems to persistMy...
  6. Any way to fix fps problems after the windows update assistant just ran and updated my OS?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Update Assistant installing 21H1

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update Assistant installing 21H1: Windows 10 Update Assistant has been stalled at 99% for 3+ hrs. Looing at Task Manager/Processes I am not seeing any activity. Listed operations are:Windows 10 Update Assistant 32 bit 2Windows 10 Update AssistantWindows InstallerActual beginning of download/update started...
  8. Manually downloaded KB4048955 could not be installed.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Manually downloaded KB4048955 could not be installed.: 2017-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for amd64-based Systems (KB4048955) Two days ago, Windows Update MiniTool found the above update. Yesterday, I downloaded it from Microsoft Update Catalog Today, when I tried to install the downloaded update (a .msu...
  9. KB4048955 failed to install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    KB4048955 failed to install: Yet another weird kb4048955 update problem but different from the usual "cannot install" problem. On checking my update history it was shown as having failed with code 0x8007139f. I used my usual procedure which resolved the previous several months such problems with the big...
  10. Cumulative Update KB4048955 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.64

in Windows 10 News
    Cumulative Update KB4048955 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.64: UPDATE 11/30: Cumulative Update KB4051963 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.98 - Windows 10 Forums November 14, 2017 - KB4048955 (OS Build 16299.64) Improvements and fixes This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced...
Tags: