Windows 10: ANy chance to install Win 10 on external hard drive

Discus and support ANy chance to install Win 10 on external hard drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello I wonder if there is a chance to install fresh Win 10 on external hard drive (USB 3.0 ) Thanks in advance 95204 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Raied, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Raied Win User

ANy chance to install Win 10 on external hard drive

Hello

I wonder if there is a chance to install fresh Win 10 on external hard drive (USB 3.0 )

Thanks in advance

:)

Raied, Oct 10, 2017
  2. 154Neil Win User

Hard Disk Failure - Reinstall Win 10

My laptop PC came with Win 7 and I upgraded a long time ago to Win 10. The hard disk has now failed and I need to replace the hard drive. Since this is a laptop and I really don't have any need to move the laptop, I would like to know to know if I can
    just get an external hard drive and install Win 10 for this PC and boot from the hard drive.

If I can use an external hard drive, please tell me if any USB hard drive will work and how do I install Win 10 on the external hard drive (I have other PCs with Win 10 ).

PS: I tried recovery, etc and it all failed.

154Neil, Oct 10, 2017
  3. VarunVB.6 Win User
    Retrieve product key from windows image backup

Hi people , have I got any chance to retrieve my windows 10 product key from the windowsImage backup that I have in the external hard drive. As my hard disk on the laptop is not working any more . So I can do a fresh installation on a new computer

VarunVB.6, Oct 10, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

cereberus, Oct 10, 2017
  5. bro67 Win User
    bro67, Oct 10, 2017
  6. Raied Win User
    Raied, Oct 11, 2017
  7. Raied Win User
    Raied, Oct 11, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Reputable members here would not recommend software that is not safe. @cereberus is a reputable member here. Aomei partition assistant is fine to us as well.

NavyLCDR, Oct 11, 2017
  9. Yes, the Official Windows To Go Utility will only let you create an Enterprise Windows To Go drive. And it will only let you use Certified Windows To Go thumb drives. It will let you use just about any external hard drive you want though. I used an old laptop drive in a USB enclosure and it was painfully slow. YMMV

alphanumeric, Oct 11, 2017
  10. Raied Win User
    Thanks for reply buddy

Thanks for reply man

i think your problem with Enterprise windows, its very heavy on normal computer *Shock

any way i used WinToUSB software + windows 10 home on my 2 TP external hard drive (USB 3) and the computer work fast without any problems *Cool

Raied, Oct 14, 2017
  11. My slow speed was due to it being a 5400 RPM IDE laptop drive in a USB 2 enclosure. I used an Enterprise Windows To Go because I can legally do it. Plus that's the only install the Official WTG utility will let you make. It won't let you use any thing other than an Enterprise ISO to create the drive. I have a Visual Studio Subscription (formally MSDN) so I have legal keys to run Enterprise. Keep in mind that your Windows To Go install requires a license to use it. And that it "may" fail to stay activated if you use it on too many different PC's. Your setup isn't an official setup. Just a heads up. I will be doing up another WTG install after the fall update drops. This time though I'll use an SSD in a USB 3 enclosure.

alphanumeric, Oct 14, 2017
  12. Raied Win User
    Good luck buddy

I will add my win cd key after trying the hard drive for 10 days to check if everything work fine

Raied, Oct 14, 2017
  13. bro67 Win User

Windows Enterprise just means that it has more features available, because it is for a domain. It does not change the performance. If you are playing games, you really need a good fast SATA III SSD or even a fast Platter drive/Hybrid drive for that machine. I would also be using a RAID 10 instead of RAID 1 if you have more than one drive. Installed. Using the Windows Portable to go is not meant for doing much on it, such as gaming.

bro67, Oct 14, 2017
  14. My understanding of Windows To Go, the official one. Is its so employees of a company can take their company install (desktop) home in their pocket. Plug it into their Home PC and have access to their work Apps and programs, even the company network. Everything done is saved to the thumb drive or the company server. Work from home. My official WTG hides my PC's internal drives, you don't see them. That's so nothing gets altered (screwed up) on the downer PC. Nothing gets saved there either. Windows To Go is Enterprise because its for Enterprise customers. Activation likely factors into it too, it would be using a VL key and count as 1 of the licenses allowed to the company under their VL agreement. In my case its activated with a MAK key because that's what Microsoft gives me with my Visual Studio subscription. They don't ever give me VL keys. I also want to see in my WTG gets a Digital License. In theory I don't think it should. But my normal Enterprise installs with my MAK key all got DL's. I tried to find out if that was by design or a glitch but didn't get anywhere.

alphanumeric, Oct 14, 2017
  15. cereberus Win User
    The usb version will automatically activate on same pc, but not if being used on another.

cereberus, Oct 14, 2017
Thema:

1. ANy chance to install Win 10 on external hard drive - Similar Threads - chance install external

2. installation media with external hard drive windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    installation media with external hard drive windows 10: Hi can anyone give me instructions on how to create installation media with an external hard drive for windows 10? i broke my laptop and now im trying to fix it, i have usb flash drives but they all dont have enough storage for the installation so im hoping anyone can help...
  3. External Hard drive issue win 10 pro

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard drive issue win 10 pro: Hiya Guys and Gals. My old win 10 HD wouldnt boot, I tried the turn off 3 times and waited for the "Repair Screen" to appear which kinda did then went blank took about 20 mins for it too work out what job it was supposed to be doing like bringing up the options menu. I went...
  4. Installing windows 10 to and from external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing windows 10 to and from external hard drive?: Having trouble figuring out how to do this. I'm building a new PC and I have everything for it other than it's hard drive. I have an external hard drive that I want to use as a temporary hard drive for the computer just to test that everything is working properly. Thing is,...
  5. i cant install any games on my external hard drive.

i cant install any games on my external hard drive.: everytime i install something on my external hard drive it just stops downloading. The Safely remove hardware and eject media icon pops up in the left corner. My file explorer pops up as well, and it shows me my hard drive. I have tried everything and nothing works! I...
  6. External hard drive installation

External hard drive installation: I am using Windows 10 and am trying to get my computer recognize my external hard drive via a USB port. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-installation/5fbf5c54-03af-4c0a-95aa-c2d0f473c5ec
  7. install Win 10 on external hard drive

install Win 10 on external hard drive: Hello, I wonder if there is a chance to install Win 10 on external hard drive (USB 3.0 ) I tryied win to usb but the free ver doesnt support the latest windown 10 1089 . Thanks in advance 131215
  8. install Win 10 on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    install Win 10 on external hard drive: Hello, I wonder if there is a chance to install Win 10 on external hard drive (USB 3.0 ) I tryied win to usb but the free ver doesnt support the latest windown 10 1089 . Thanks in advance 131215
  9. installing Win 10 on new hard drive

installing Win 10 on new hard drive: Hi I have a peculiar problem. recently my Lenovo G50-80 crashed. When inserting a bootable Win 10 repair/recovery flash drive, it would not boot from it even though boot order was changed accordingly in BIOS. I eventually resorted to removing the hdd, after which the...
  10. Win 10 update - external hard drive unrecognized

Win 10 update - external hard drive unrecognized: Hello, I hope someone can help me. Microsoft just updated the Win 10 installation on my main computer and now my WD My Passport 4TB hard drive is not recognized. It shows as "Local Disk (H*Smile" in Windows Explorer, and in Disk Management it shows as being empty and the file...