Windows 10: Any Paragon 'Backup & Recovery 16' users on here ? Quick question.

Discus and support Any Paragon 'Backup & Recovery 16' users on here ? Quick question. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; With talk of Windows own disk imaging getting side-lined when the next big Windows Feature Update is released I thought I would at least look at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Mooly, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Mooly Win User

Any Paragon 'Backup & Recovery 16' users on here ? Quick question.

With talk of Windows own disk imaging getting side-lined when the next big Windows Feature Update is released I thought I would at least look at alternatives. Macrium I'm familiar with, Paragon I was curious over.

I tried both the full trial version of Paragon Backup and Restore 16 and also the free version. Both seem remarkably similar with the free version still having incremental updates (which was a surprise).

One big problem with both... a restored image is devoid of ALL Microsoft Edge password/preferences/login data. That alone is a deal breaker.

I've looked at the settings and found a whole host of available file exclusions but it seems these are not selected by default ?

Just wondered if anyone had used this program and what you thought of it.

I did like the interface, it was very quick, the incremental option is great, and the installed package size seems very small. Just a shame it appears to fail on the most basic function of restoring an image back to the initial conditions of when the image was made. I have asked on the Paragon forum but so far no replies.

:)

Mooly, Sep 28, 2017
  2. John582n Win User

Camera and all USB ports not working suddenly

Do you have Paragon Backup & Recovery software installed?

John582n, Sep 28, 2017
  3. JayCeeoz Win User
    win 10 & win 10 anniversary

Paragon B&R 16. However, I still have B&R 15 which works perfectly. But I will not be able to restore the 1st win 10 backup I did on B&R 16. Never mind, such is life.

thanks and regards

JayCeeoz, Sep 28, 2017
  4. Mooly Win User

Still no replies on the official Paragon forum. I have raised the issue with Paragon directly.

In the meantime I have installed AOMEI. That's for another thread though... suffice to say that so far it seems faultless and quick.

Of course should Windows own utility look like living to fight another day (come the Fall update) then I may well stick with that. Just trying to get all my ducks in row so that I can hit the ground running with a clean install.

Mooly, Sep 29, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    Biggest issue I had with Paragon is it requires you to download all of W10 ADK (around 6GB) whereas other tools automatically download only the components they need.

cereberus, Sep 29, 2017
  6. Mooly Win User
    There was nothing like that when I tried the trial version, in fact the whole installed package was commendably small. This has been one of my complaints with other offerings tbh, a big footprint. Its looking more and more like Paragon is out of the running though tbh. When even the official Paragon forums don't get a reply to a basic question then I begin to think its more of a lame duck.

Mooly, Sep 30, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    I never found it to be that reliable.

Nothing (and I mean nothing) comes close to Macrium Reflect Free in the free version in terms of reliability. Others make a big deal it does not do incrementals, but few ever need that and differentials are perfectly adequate for vast majority of domestic users.

Incidentally, if you have a 32bit uefi device e.g. tablet or hybrid, only MRF and Easus Todo Backup (very slow though) actually work.

You can install the winpse version of MRF in a 225 MB partition and create a boot entry. I do this and delete the boot directory of nearly 1GB created to boot Reflect in winpe mode using its own boot menu entry.

cereberus, Sep 30, 2017
  8. Mooly Win User

I'm marking this as solved. Conclusion... Paragon and also their support forum leaves much to be desired. There has been no response from either.

AOMEI is currently performing brilliantly and has the unexpected bonus of having something similar to Microsoft 'File History' that can be scheduled to backup all selected user folders automatically every hour (or whatever period you want).

Any Paragon 'Backup & Recovery 16' users on here ? Quick question. [​IMG]

Mooly, Oct 1, 2017
  9. Mooly Win User
    As I am finding out *Smile thanks. It is very good, and based on my tests so far, this will be the backup program I use come the Fall Update of W10.

Mooly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Any Paragon 'Backup & Recovery 16' users on here ? Quick question. - Similar Threads - Paragon 'Backup Recovery

2. Quick Backup Question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Quick Backup Question: Hey guys, Please forgive me if this is a dumb question... My computer frequently blue screen crashes and I've been meaning to perform a fresh install of windows to possibly fix this issue. I want to do a full system image back-up because I'd like to save some files like...
  3. Any GetRight user here?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Any GetRight user here?: Hello, Windows 10 Home v2004 x64 I am still using GetRight as Download Manager and I love it *Tongue IF Windows remove IE, Does GetRight will stop working? Thanks 163163
  4. Any VMWare esxi users here

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Any VMWare esxi users here: Hi folks. Any ESXI users here -- interested particularly how Windows VM's performs on it. Would prefer people using either at home or in small tests rather than Enterprise shops at work say. Would also be interested if one can manage VM's decently with the Free ESXi version...
  5. Paragon Backup and Recovery 17 - New

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Paragon Backup and Recovery 17 - New: Paragon have recently released Backup and Recovery 17 free. (Presumably the Hard Disk Manager 17 will be released soon.) Pros: It is relatively easy to use It offers several different image formats Cons: The files added to winpe are large The ability to exclude...
  6. Paragon Backup and Recovery complains about "VSS specific error"

Paragon Backup and Recovery complains about "VSS specific error": I managed to do create one disk image of my laptop using Paragon Backup and Recovery, but when I try to do new one I get the error "VSS specific error" and an instruction to look at the logs. When I try to look at the logs for the failed attempts to create an image I get a...
  7. Paragon 16 issue on Mirrored Drive Copy

Paragon 16 issue on Mirrored Drive Copy: Hello, Previously I've used Paragon 12. I purchased Paragon Backup and Recovery 16 and began testing it. Currently I am using a Windows Mirrored Disk for my data and an SSD for the OS. On backing up the Mirrored disk I noted an extreme time and then realized that it was...
  8. .bcd update Paragon 16

.bcd update Paragon 16: Trying the new Paragon 16 version backup and recovery. It lists in the advanced settings that is has the option to update the .bcd file? Can anyone dummy that down a bit as this is the first I've seen of it. 78472
  9. Backup @ Recovery question

Backup @ Recovery question: I just upgraded W7 to W10 on my old laptop. Now I want to create a backup in case my HDD fails. 1. Create Recovery Drive (windows utility) using USB drive. 2. Run Backup and Restore (windows utility) using external HDD. One think I noticed it says "Backup and Restore...
  10. Paragon Backup & Recovery 16 Free for limited period

Paragon Backup & Recovery 16 Free for limited period: At Paragon Software, we believe that system and data protection is underrated by many users. Unfortunately, this subset of users only think about safeguarding their PCs after disaster has already struck. For a limited period, we're therefore offering the software for...