Windows 10: Any risk in turning off password protected sharing on a private networ

Discus and support Any risk in turning off password protected sharing on a private networ in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 PC, with one of it's functions being that of a file server/NAS for my home network. I set it up with password protected sharing and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sauntache, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Sauntache Win User

Any risk in turning off password protected sharing on a private networ

I have a Windows 10 PC, with one of it's functions being that of a file server/NAS for my home network. I set it up with password protected sharing and a user account/password that everyone knows and uses to access it. I didn't really have any reason to use password protected sharing at the time, but it was the default so I left it.

Now I have a couple of network streaming devices that can't handle password protected sharing, so I was considering turning it off. Is there any reason not to turn off password protected sharing on a private network? Obviously I don't mind everyone on the network having access, but I was wondering if it had any other potential security benefits that I haven't thought of.

:)

Sauntache, Nov 6, 2015

2. How do I eliminate the homegroup from my computer and start a new on on another?

Check this on both computers :

Homegroup Settings - "Change advanced sharing settings....." -

Private

Turn on Network discovery

Turn on file and print sharing

Allow Windows to Manage Homegroup connections.

All networks

Turn off password protected sharing.

For some reason mine keeps turning off.

SpiritX MS MVP, Nov 6, 2015
  3. Adding shared folder onto WIFI PC from Ethernet connected PC

First, change your Network Profile to Private:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/change-network...

Do this for any other computer you have on the network.

Open Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Status

Scroll to the bottom

Click Network and Sharing Center

Click Change advanced sharing settings

Expand All Networks

Under Password protected sharing

Switch between 'Turn on password protected sharing and Turn off password protected sharing'

Then choose 'Turn off password protected sharing'

Then click 'Save changes'

Also see instructions to make sure each computer can access each other:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/share-files-st...

Andre Da Costa, Nov 6, 2015
  4. Any risk in turning off password protected sharing on a private networ

Hello Sauntache Welcome to the Ten Forums!

The risk would be any outside access which could potentially open the door for a breach of some type. If you have a closed network situation without web interaction such as a hard wired private network then the actual need for password protection dimishes quite a bit as long as people visiting the home like the neighbor's kids or an offspring's school buddies dropping in doesn't manage to get access to things. Then you would have an internal not external situation where the protection would be needed!

As for simply setting up a home data server and not storing personal data on the other hand keeping things in a closed loop You shouldn't have any real worry. The risks however intensify if there is any web access for the most part when you then need to establish an effective firewall protection from outside intrusion. Having a good av program with network filters is also a thought there as well.

Night Hawk, Nov 6, 2015
Thema:

Any risk in turning off password protected sharing on a private networ

1. Any risk in turning off password protected sharing on a private networ - Similar Threads - risk turning off

2. Win10 Home Cannot turn off password protected sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 Home Cannot turn off password protected sharing: Appreciate there are many references to this problem - I have tried them all. My system has had no problems for several years but today i suddenly lost control over password protected sharing. Whatever I do, it reverts to “on” as soon as I move away from that dialogue box....
  3. Network Sharing prompts for password (Password protected sharing turned off) - Windows 10

Network Sharing prompts for password (Password protected sharing turned off) - Windows 10: I've been using Network Share (HomeGroup before) for a while. Weeks ago I changed my Microsoft account password, and then here I got a problem. Let's say my main PC is PC A, and my second PC is PC B. When I try to access files on B from A, everything works fine. But when I...
  4. Cannot turn off the password protected sharing. The option for password protected sharing...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot turn off the password protected sharing. The option for password protected sharing...: Hi support team I want to turn off the password protected sharing on my PC. So, the other users available on the same network can access my shared folder without entering any user credentials. To do that I entered into the Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and...
  5. Windows 10 Turn Off Password Protected Sharing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Turn Off Password Protected Sharing: We are looking for a way to turn off password protected sharing either programmatically or through some type of scripting (cmd, powershell, etc.) for Windows 10 1607. It is the option in Advanced Sharing Settings (All Networks) in Network and Sharing Center. We can...
  6. Advanced Shared Settings won't turn "off" password protected sharing

Advanced Shared Settings won't turn "off" password protected sharing: I'm trying to set up homegroup networking with other household computers. My new HP/Windows 10 is asking for a password. When I go to control panel, network & internet, network & sharing center, advanced sharing settings, all networks and select "turn off password protected...
  7. Cannot turn off password protected sharing on W10 PC

Cannot turn off password protected sharing on W10 PC: Hello all! I'm new to this forum, but have been a member of SevenForums for many years! My issue just all of the sudden came up out of the blue. One of the PC's on my home LAN all of the sudden switched settings from having the password setting turned off to now turned on...
  8. Password Protected Sharing - Turn On/Off with PowerShell

Password Protected Sharing - Turn On/Off with PowerShell: How can I use PowerShell to turn on/off "Password Protected Sharing" setting in Advanced sharing settings? 66136
  9. Network share requesting password, but password protection turned off!

Network share requesting password, but password protection turned off!: Hi Guys, This is a curious one. I have three PCs (two desktop and one laptop) all running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1607). Each system has a shared partition, set up exactly the same, which has sharing set for 'everyone', with 'full control'. Password protected...
  10. Turn On or Off Password Protected Sharing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Password Protected Sharing in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Password Protected Sharing in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Password Protected Sharing in Windows 10 When password protected sharing is turned on, only people who have a Public folders. If you wanted to give access to shared files to other...