Windows 10: Any way to have Macrium restore to a larger capacity drive?

Discus and support Any way to have Macrium restore to a larger capacity drive? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I thought I had done this one time, but if I did I can't figure out how. I have UEFI and GPT drives. I want to move my Insider installation from a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by fireberd, Jun 26, 2017.

1. fireberd Win User

Any way to have Macrium restore to a larger capacity drive?

I thought I had done this one time, but if I did I can't figure out how. I have UEFI and GPT drives.

I want to move my Insider installation from a 250 to 500GB SSD (I want to fully install all modules of my recording studio on the Insider edition). I have restored a disc image to the 500GB drive and it works OK but it leaves about 250GB unused and I can't expand the "C" partition to include the unused partition.

:)

fireberd, Jun 26, 2017

2. Upgrading Windows 10 Solid State Drive

Windows 10 Anniversary will not install because I don't have enough free space. I purchased a larger SSD and used Macrium Reflect to clone the new hard drive partitions. The new drive does not boot. Is there any way of doing this, short of installing
    Windows 10, then the anniversary update, and then all the installed Program Files?

WoodworkerGreenDog, Jun 26, 2017
  3. Romel Ram Win User
    Any way to download a movie after I have chosen to stream it?

Hi,

For us to properly assist you with your concern, kindly answer the queries below:

• Are you using Movies & TV app to stream or download movies?
    • Have you checked if you have rented or purchased the movie?
    We're looking forward to your response.

Romel Ram, Jun 26, 2017
  4. Winuser Win User

Winuser, Jun 26, 2017
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    Yes, that is an easy way. just move/resize all the way to the right. Then expand C: while you're in there. Apply both changes, and MiniTool will update everything.

Other way is on restore, drag all the partitions down to C:, left to right, except the Recovery. Drag it all the way to the right. Restore. Then expand C:. MiniTool is probably easier and quicker since you've already done the restore.

EDIT: Just thinking....it may not let that happen while the OS is open. Unless you use the bootable MiniTool (available on Kyhi's Recovery).

f14tomcat, Jun 26, 2017
  6. Winuser Win User
    If it doesn't resize with Windows running it should do it after a restart. It's been awhile since I resized a partition so I don't remember if a restart was necessary.

Winuser, Jun 26, 2017
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    But the answer to Fireberd, who got totally bored and left *chuckle is , yes, he can. One way or the other. *Smile

f14tomcat, Jun 27, 2017
  8. fireberd Win User

I have that program (and have used it before).
    However, the unused partition is at the end. See screenshot.
    This is how the drive ended up doing a restore from a Macrium disc image.

Any way to have Macrium restore to a larger capacity drive? [​IMG]

fireberd, Jun 27, 2017
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    That's fine. Just grab it and drag it all the way to the right. Each one, starting with the 2GB, then the 454GB next to it, then the other 454GB. (why there are 2 is another thread....) Like this example:

Then apply.

f14tomcat, Jun 27, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    Minitool is very clever. If doing iOS that impact C drive, it boots into a special dos like environment automatically, and back when finished. No need to use other winpe tools.

cereberus, Jun 27, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    In OPs case, I would just delete the last three partitions as none are of real use.

cereberus, Jun 27, 2017
  12. fireberd Win User
    That worked. Did it this morning and booted up the Insider Preview (Posting from it now).

Thanks/Jack

fireberd, Jun 27, 2017
  13. f14tomcat Win User

Glad that worked for you, Jack! *Smile

f14tomcat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Any way to have Macrium restore to a larger capacity drive? - Similar Threads - Macrium restore larger

2. Process of changing from old small capacity drives to larger high capacity internal hard...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Process of changing from old small capacity drives to larger high capacity internal hard...: What is the process of making a new ssd ready for use in my Asus Laptop Vivobook Model 510U? I want a clean slate, and I'm ready to start fresh with Win. 10 Hone Editio, which came with the computer when I bought it. There are two SSDs that I'm planning to replace the...
  3. Process of changing from old small capacity drives to larger high capacity internal hard...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Process of changing from old small capacity drives to larger high capacity internal hard...: What is the process of making a new ssd ready for use in my Asus Laptop Vivobook Model 510U? I want a clean slate, and I'm ready to start fresh with Win. 10 Hone Editio, which came with the computer when I bought it. There are two SSDs that I'm planning to replace the...
  4. Process of changing from old small capacity drives to larger high capacity internal hard...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Process of changing from an old small capacity drive to larger high capacity internal hard...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Process of changing from an old small capacity drive to larger high capacity internal hard...: What is the process of making a new ssd ready for use in my Asus Laptop Vivobook Model 510U? I want a clean slate, and I'm ready to start fresh with Win. 10, which came with the computer when I bought it. There are two SSDs that I'm using to replace the mechanical "D" drive...
  6. Process of changing from an old small capacity drive to larger high capacity internal hard...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Process of changing from an old small capacity drive to larger high capacity internal hard...: What is the process of making a new ssd ready for use in my Asus Laptop Vivobook Model 510U? I want a clean slate, and I'm ready to start fresh with Win. 10, which came with the computer when I bought it. There are two SSDs that I'm using to replace the mechanical "D" drive...
  7. Process of changing from an old small capacity drive to larger high capacity internal hard...

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Macrium: image and restore to smaller drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium: image and restore to smaller drive: Hey all, First-time poster and also new to Macrium. I have a 1TB M.2 SSD in my laptop that I want to image, transfer to another computer, and then I want to restore the image to a smaller (500GB) replacement M.2 drive. I'm working with only 1 M.2 slot, so I created a Macrium...
  9. Backup / Restore to Network drives (Macrium)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup / Restore to Network drives (Macrium): Hi folks when you create the stand alone Macrium don't forget to enable legacy SMB1 support (in the Macrium create recovery media) under advanced if your backups goes to NAS or other shared network devices that still need SMB1. [img] Cheers jimbo 128463
  10. Migrating to larger drive with Macrium

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrating to larger drive with Macrium: I can't seem to get Macrium (paid version) to utilize the full size of a new SSD. I want to restore my Insider version on a larger SSD. But when I restore, its like its doing a clone rather than restore. I've done this in the past without problems, don't know what I'm doing...