Windows 10: Any way to improve compatibility with older drivers?

Discus and support Any way to improve compatibility with older drivers? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello. I have formatted an old Vista laptop yesterday and although everything seemed to work just fine (Installed w10 x64 due to ram being 4GB) the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by eLPuSHeR, Apr 5, 2017.

1. eLPuSHeR Win User

Any way to improve compatibility with older drivers?

Hello.

I have formatted an old Vista laptop yesterday and although everything seemed to work just fine (Installed w10 x64 due to ram being 4GB) the sound didn't work at all even if Windows Update installed its correct driver and everything looked fine.

The sound card is Conexant HD Smart Audio 221. There is no way of making this to work under x64 it seems.
    Reinstalled x86 and it worked out of the box, even with a generic HD Audio driver.

I am wondering why Windows Update is installing a driver that DOESN'T WORK. Don't MS test drivers they provide through WU? *Mad

:)

eLPuSHeR, Apr 5, 2017
  2. Nazalur Win User

is there any way to run older games on the booklet? (age of empires2)

take a look at
    this
    thread, you can find some useful info about running old and some new games on Booklet there.

Nazalur, Apr 5, 2017
  3. dcastrog Win User
    is there any way to run older games on the booklet? (age of empires2)

everytime I try to run age of empires 2 I get the error message "make sure the video card is compatible with direct x"

im very upset, age of empires is one of my favoritee games and I was wishing I could run it on my favorite booklet.

i have been able to do so using a custom driver for the intel GMA 500 card, but I loose the power save profile, i am unable to change screen brightness and no aero effects.

any one knows a better way?

thanks ! Any way to improve compatibility with older drivers? :D

dcastrog, Apr 5, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

The standard advice posted all over the place is to use drivers for laptops supplied and customised by your manufacturer.

I would guess your manufacturer does not provide support for Win 10 for this laptop. Whilst I will happily criticise MS, I don't think it's legitimate to in this instance. And you can't expect MS to test drivers for all (legacy/obsolete) equipment out there- just far too many combinations. Heck, they have enough difficulty testing their own code and updates it seems.

I doubt anyone can comment further without full details of your laptop, although I'm not sure how much that would help.

The only thing I'd suggest, purely as a wild card, is to try DriverMax (free) and see what that offers for your sound card x64. (I'd never suggest using such tools except in extremis).

Why do you think you need x64 for 4Gb? x32 handles that as max.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2017
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    As is often the case, things are rather more complicated than they might appear.

You must understand that Microsoft distributes device drivers via Windows Update but they did not write them. They were written by the device manufacturer and supplied to Microsoft. Writing device drivers requires a large amount of detailed technical information which manufacturers consider a trade secret and would not choose to reveal to anyone. The driver in question would have been tested, but obviously not on your computer. It would have been tested on the computer the driver was designed for, not an older model which the manufacturer probably makes no claims as being compatible with Windows 10. Windows Update chose this driver because it was the closest available. Often such drivers will work but sometimes not.

When upgrading any OEM computer, particularly a laptop, always check with the manufacturer if it is supported for the OS in question. If not you proceed at your own risk. And don't blame Microsoft if it doesn't work.

I have a somewhat newer computer, built in 2009, that the manufacturer does not recommend for use with Windows 10 as it has not been tested with it and no updated drivers have been written. I stayed with Windows 7, the OS it was designed for.

LMiller7, Apr 5, 2017
  6. eLPuSHeR Win User
    You both are right. Laptop is an ancient Compaq Presario CQ60-210ES. It works quite well with x86 installed. In fact, factory OS was x86 Vista. I wish I would have been able to fully run x64 to take advantage of full 4GB RAM but it wasn't possible.
    And yes, not MS fault either (maybe I was too harsh on them out of frustration). I tested a lot of different drivers for several manufacturers (even Compaq/HP) and none of them worked.

eLPuSHeR, Apr 6, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Another possible difficulty with older laptops not specified for Win 10 is heat management. Low level ACPI drivers may no longer be compatible. I found upgrading the OS on my HP Vista laptop to Win 8 meant it got hot in Safe Mode.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Any way to improve compatibility with older drivers? - Similar Threads - improve compatibility older

2. Is there any way to reinstall a driver?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is there any way to reinstall a driver?: I have an Inspiron 7570 and when I updated to the new windows 10 my touchpad stopped working. I tried to uninstall the touchpad driver and then restart the computer. That did not prompt the computer to reinstall the driver....
  3. Is there any way to reinstall a driver?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any way to reinstall a driver?: I have an Inspiron 7570 and when I updated to the new windows 10 my touchpad stopped working. I tried to uninstall the touchpad driver and then restart the computer. That did not prompt the computer to reinstall the driver....
  4. Is there any way to reinstall a driver?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Will Windows 11 compatability be improved?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will Windows 11 compatability be improved?: I have an HP laptop with a Pentium Processor quad-core 1.6mhz, but for some reason it's not compatible with Windows 11. Is this just temporary? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-windows-11-compatability-be-improved/6b1a4532-f940-435f-8a58-760a4553e619
  6. Will Windows 11 compatability be improved?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will Windows 11 compatability be improved?: I have an HP laptop with a Pentium Processor quad-core 1.6mhz, but for some reason it's not compatible with Windows 11. Is this just temporary? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-windows-11-compatability-be-improved/6b1a4532-f940-435f-8a58-760a4553e619
  7. Any Way to Make WB Compatible with OS?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Any Way to Make WB Compatible with OS?: WB = WindowsBlinds, OS = Open Shell (I'm asking this mainly because my taskbar texture is a little bit messed up since I had previously used Open Shell to change my taskbar texture look but after I got WB, some of the things look really off about it.) 173567
  8. Is there any way to install windows precision driver that compatible on newer machine?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to install windows precision driver that compatible on newer machine?: Hi. I just wanted to ask about installing Windows precision driver on newer device? My device is Lenovo Thinkbook 14-IIL and it doesn't come with Windows precision driver. The touchpad by synaptics with device id 2B60. None of the internet trick are working, because they...
  9. Any way to improve performance on Dell Latitude E5550

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to improve performance on Dell Latitude E5550: Hello. I would like to know how I can improve performance on my Dell Lattitude E5550. It has an Intel I5, and 8GB of ram. Games like Minecraft run at an average of 6FPS in the lowest settings. Any way to improve performance? submitted by /u/InkFennecFox [link] [comments]...
  10. older game compatibility

in Windows 10 Gaming
    older game compatibility: I have Scrabble for XP and it is running about 5 minutes in Windows 10 then it freezes..I was hoping someone could help me fine tune the compatibility settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/older-game-compatibility/471bbb41-aa6c-4db5-919d-80136860d27a