Windows 10: Any Way To Make Permanent Folder Icons on Desktop?

Discus and support Any Way To Make Permanent Folder Icons on Desktop? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm hoping you guys have some cool freeway apps or tricks around to help me out. I'm looking for a way to put specific shortcuts on the desktop,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by muzicman82, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Any Way To Make Permanent Folder Icons on Desktop?

I'm hoping you guys have some cool freeway apps or tricks around to help me out.

I'm looking for a way to put specific shortcuts on the desktop, mainly to folders, but make them permanent, so I can't move them or delete them. I still want to be able to select, move and delete other files and shortcuts.

Anything out there?

:)

muzicman82, Jun 22, 2015

2. how to set a permanent custom folder icon in windows 10?

in earlier version of windows, i can set the custom folder icon to permanent by editing the "desktop.ini" file, with simply erase some part of the icon file address into
    iconresource="icon name".ico,0. it works in win 7, 8, and 8.1. now i use windows 10, i can apply a custom folder icon, but it will revert to default folder icon if i copy or move the folder to another place. i don't like this, you can say, i HATE this
    side of windows 10. tell me! how to make it permanent?

Muhammad IsfanTauhid, Jun 22, 2015
  3. Permanent Custom Folder Icons

As the title suggests, I would like to know if custom folder icons can be made permanent in Windows 10. Like, I have changed a folder icon with my own .ico file placed in drive C. Now I move it to say drive D, or copy it to an external drive or send it
    via email, I would like it to show the same folder icon that I changed from the default one to. I have found older posts when searching the internet but they are all for Windows 7 or 8. I would like to know if this can be done in Windows 10.

Mohandas Murmu, Jun 22, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Any Way To Make Permanent Folder Icons on Desktop?

There is no way to make some icons unmoveable, but other icons not. The best you can do is use a utility that will save and restore icon positions. Stardock Fences is one of my favorites, but there are also others.

Mystere, Jun 22, 2015
  5. I'm definitely aware that this requires a 3rd party utility or program.

What's everyone's favorite "quick launch"? I've used Rocket Dock and Launchy but it's probably been over 5 years since I've touched either.

What would be perfect is if I could easily/quickly add folders to the WinX Menu. I'm sure you can with something like the WinAero editor, but that requires a utility to do. What if you could right click a folder and "Pin To WinX"? That said I do want the ability to rename the shortcut.

Launchy might need another look...

muzicman82, Jun 22, 2015
  6. Fences looks like it may be worth a try.. But.. $10. Hmm...

Do people actually subscribe to Object Desktop Infinite? Multiplicity looks like Synergy.. or IS it Synergy?

muzicman82, Jun 22, 2015
  7. Rightclick taskbar -> toolabars -> new toolbar... then navigate to a folder that contains the shortcuts. You then can customize it as desired. I recommend removing all text, switching to big icons, then give each folder a unique icon to identify it with. Here's an example:

Any Way To Make Permanent Folder Icons on Desktop? [​IMG]

The two on the right are applications, but the three middle ones are folders.

Though to be honest I just created a temporary crap folder in my user drive and pinned it to File Explorer.

FuturDreamz, Jun 24, 2015
  8. Any Way To Make Permanent Folder Icons on Desktop?

Yep, I did that until I started using True Launch Bar. Check it out. It has soo many customization options. Flyouts and submmenus are a huge space save.

muzicman82, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Any Way To Make Permanent Folder Icons on Desktop?

1. Any Way To Make Permanent Folder Icons on Desktop? - Similar Threads - Permanent Folder Icons

2. is there any way to make desktop symmetrical?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is there any way to make desktop symmetrical?: i tried to find anything on the internet but i didn't find anything that would help me, i also tried using ctrl and scrolling but that didn't help align the icons...
  3. is there any way to make desktop symmetrical?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is there any way to make desktop symmetrical?: i tried to find anything on the internet but i didn't find anything that would help me, i also tried using ctrl and scrolling but that didn't help align the icons...
  4. Is there any way to organize your desktop icons in this way?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any way to organize your desktop icons in this way?: So i was recently trying to clean up my desktop as you can tell I probably needed it when I got the idea to add transparent squares on top of my background so I could sort my desktop icons while still being able to see my background. However, the desktop icons touches the...
  5. Is there any way to organize your desktop icons in this way?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any way to organize your desktop icons in this way?: So i was recently trying to clean up my desktop as you can tell I probably needed it when I got the idea to add transparent squares on top of my background so I could sort my desktop icons while still being able to see my background. However, the desktop icons touches the...
  6. Is there any way to remove the dotted border around desktop icons permanently?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to remove the dotted border around desktop icons permanently?: I strive for a clean desktop setup, but that annoying dotted icon border messes me up. Is there any way to get rid of it permanently? I've looked online and all the "solutions" are just one-time quick fixes. I know the outline is there for keyboard control, but I never use my...
  7. Any way to *permanently* remove "Microsoft Office Desktop Apps"?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to *permanently* remove "Microsoft Office Desktop Apps"?: Any way to *permanently* remove "Microsoft Office Desktop Apps"? I uninstall it, and every few days, she's back. submitted by /u/telrod11 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f3q9nr/any_way_to_permanently_remove_microsoft_office/
  8. Is there a Permanent way to make All Folder view Dark mod?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there a Permanent way to make All Folder view Dark mod?: Is there a Perment way to make All Folder view Dark mod? 146686
  9. Any way to recover a permanently lost folder in OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Any way to recover a permanently lost folder in OneDrive?: I mistakenly deleted a folder from my OneDrive. By the time I noticed the folder was missing 30 days had passed so it was also gone from my OneDrive recycle bin. Is there any possibility of recovering the folder, or is it just lost forever? I appreciate any advice you can...
  10. Is there any way to customize the folder icons in 'This PC'?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there any way to customize the folder icons in 'This PC'?: Hi, As the title says, I'm trying to change the default look of the folders located in 'This PC' (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc). By this I mean when viewing in 'This PC', and not in 'C:\User Data\', which has no problems. I have tried: - Editing windows.ini...