Windows 10: Any way to recover/repair a text file corrupted by a BSOD?

Discus and support Any way to recover/repair a text file corrupted by a BSOD? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm furious! I spent several hours adding and updating the code in a large GUI application I'm developing, saving the changes every minute or so like a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Thenin, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Thenin Win User

Any way to recover/repair a text file corrupted by a BSOD?

I'm furious! I spent several hours adding and updating the code in a large GUI application I'm developing, saving the changes every minute or so like a good boy. Well, I'd just finished a save when I got some kind of kernel BSOD. I rebooted and went back to the code file I had been working on and found to my horror that the second half of the text file -- the very area I had added hundreds of lines of code to, was now completely gone!

It's not as if I hadn't been saving the file very, very often. And I do have a backup copy I made yesterday, but that doesn't include the hundreds of lines I added today! I'd never had a BSOD rape me the one this one did, and who could have foreseen such a thing?

I have already tried running two different data recovery tools (obviously not from the same drive), Runtime Software's "Get Data Back" (simple and NTFS paid versions) as well as MiniTool Power Data Recovery paid version, but neither one was apparently designed to recover partially corrupted files.

So I came to ask you folks if any of you know if there are any other options I can try. I'm pessimistic, but I didn't want to just surrender without asking...

Thanks.

:)

Thenin, Mar 26, 2018

2. Any way to repair corrupted cluster after Windows 10 upgrade?

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

You may use your favorite search engine to search for third party software which can help you.

Disclaimer: Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved.
    Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Mar 26, 2018
  3. KuroiSumi Win User
    Any way to repair corrupted cluster after Windows 10 upgrade?

Hello, I upgraded Windows 7 to 10 a few days ago and lost all of my documents and photos (more than 200 GB data). For some data I had back up but for others I didn't.

I ran Stelllar Phoenix Windows Recovery and recovered about 2/3 of them. But it appears that some clusters are badly damaged and the software can't recover them. If anybody knows a way to repair those clusters or knows about software which might be able
    to recover data from those damaged clusters, please let me know.

For documents, I will be able to remake them but I won't be able to retake the same photos so ... I don't have a high hope but ... Will appreciate it!!!!!!

KuroiSumi, Mar 26, 2018
  4. Thenin Win User

OMG, I did it! I can scarcely believe it, but I did it!

Here's what I did. I used a disk editor to search the entire disk for some text that would only exist within a disk region that contained the new code I was working on, whether allocated to a file or not. And it actually found it -- after the last good line of text in the very same file. It turned out that the last half of that file was not actually gone, but rather the corruption merely moved the effective EOF much earlier than it should have been. So I used that disk editor to simply copy the "missing" part of the file (the part after the bogus EOF) to another text file, then I opened up the original file for editing and pasted the missing text back into the original file and saved it.

Bingo -- now the file had all of my hard work back in place! Hooray!! *Biggrin

Thenin, Mar 26, 2018
  5. EdTittel Win User
    Nice save, Thenin! A knowledge of file structures and layouts did you right in this case. Good job.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Any way to recover/repair a text file corrupted by a BSOD? - Similar Threads - recover repair text

2. Is there any possible way of recovering a deleted file?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there any possible way of recovering a deleted file?: Is there a way of recovering a deleted file? I deleted it about a month ago from my desktop, its a keystore file for my game that i really need. I was an idiot and deleted it and now that im trying to update my game it doesnt let me since im using a new one and i need the...
  3. Is there any possible way of recovering a deleted file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any possible way of recovering a deleted file?: Is there a way of recovering a deleted file? I deleted it about a month ago from my desktop, its a keystore file for my game that i really need. I was an idiot and deleted it and now that im trying to update my game it doesnt let me since im using a new one and i need the...
  4. Is there any possible way of recovering a deleted file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Is there any way to remove the ".mpal" ransomware and recover files!?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is there any way to remove the ".mpal" ransomware and recover files!?: Guys i need help i accidently download this file and now most of my data has been encrypted by .mpal ransomware..Is there any way to fix this.?...
  6. Recover corrupted files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recover corrupted files: I was editing some files in visual studio and then my pc shut down unexpectedly. After turning my pc on again, I tried to open those files but they don't show any text in notepad. But the size of the file in explorer indicates their is still content in them. Is there a way I...
  7. Any way to recover files from a corrupted recycle bin without 3rd party software?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to recover files from a corrupted recycle bin without 3rd party software?: Somebody asked me for help with recovering data from a drive. I'm not exactly sure what happened to it, but the person I got it from told me that the only thing they did was running file system error check from Properties > Tools. The first issue was that I couldn't even...
  8. Best PST Repair Software to Recover Corrupted Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best PST Repair Software to Recover Corrupted Files: PST file is an Outlook data file and it is sensitive towards corruption and when it got severely corrupt and becomes near to impossible to recover even inbox repair tool fails to recover that corruption. in this situation, PST repair tool needed that is very effective towards...
  9. Windows (10) Defender corrupted and will not run. Any way to repair it?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows (10) Defender corrupted and will not run. Any way to repair it?: Windows 10 Home (Dutch). I went back to a previous version of Windows 10 while keeping my installed software. Before that I removed Avast software. Also used an Avast software removal tool (so it should be really gone, and indeed I don't see any traces). But somehow...
  10. file forensics: any way to recover moved file?

in Windows 10 Support
    file forensics: any way to recover moved file?: Last night I moved--not copied--a file from my Dell Latitude Win 10 laptop's SSD to a thumb drive. To be precise, I think that I clicked on the file in Windows Explorer in the laptop, then cut it via ctrl-x, and then pasted it onto the flash drive with ctrl-v. I then safely...