Windows 10: Any way to restrict P2P updates to specific networks?

Discus and support Any way to restrict P2P updates to specific networks? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Is there any way to restrict the peer to peer sharing of Windows Updates (WUDO, just so this shows up in searches) to only specific local networks? I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by teleute, Nov 17, 2015.

1. teleute Win User

Any way to restrict P2P updates to specific networks?

Is there any way to restrict the peer to peer sharing of Windows Updates (WUDO, just so this shows up in searches) to only specific local networks? I know I can say to get/share updates with PCs on the local network, or local plus internet. But I'd like to restrict this further - don't share on every local network I happen to be on, but only on the local network when I'm at my office, for example.

All of my users have laptops, and most travel extensively. We have bad bandwidth at the office, so the P2P would definitely be nice. But I don't want them sharing updates when they're travelling, as they're often in locations with strict (and/or expensive) capping. Is there any way to do this without the user having to manually turn the option on or off depending on location?

:)

teleute, Nov 17, 2015
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Any way to disable updates

Hi UF6,

First, change your login to a local Account:

Open the Settings App

Go o Accounts - Sign In Options

Choose to sign in with a local Account

Click your Start Button, type services and hit ENTER

Scroll down the list of services to find Windows Update

Double click the service

If it has started, click 'Stop'

Then you must set its startup type to 'Disabled' - 'Manual' will not do!

Restart your PC

That's It!

DaveM121, Nov 17, 2015
  3. Any way to disable updates

It seems like a fair amount of work. I will try some of these suggestions, but I think I may just set up an Ubuntu dual boot.

uraniumhexoflorite, Nov 17, 2015
  4. teleute Win User

So, digging further, I've found this:
    MDM_Policy_Result01_DeliveryOptimization02 class (Windows)

Which shows an option to allow WUDO for a specific group, then allows in a different policy for you to specific a GUID as group id. Does this just mean that I can make up a GUID, and put that out as the group ID via policy, and then that will tag everything with that group ID and essentially limit the P2P to just machines receiving my group policy? That would meet my requirements if so, assuming my machines didn't go out into the wild and encounter another network where the computers there happen to be using the same GUID, but that seems desperately unlikely. I'm just not 100% sure I'm interpreting this correctly. Anyone tried this, or have further info?

teleute, Nov 22, 2015
Thema:

1. Any way to restrict P2P updates to specific networks? - Similar Threads - restrict P2P updates

2. Is there any way to restrict browser access but allow only 1 app to access that restricted...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any way to restrict browser access but allow only 1 app to access that restricted...: Is there any way to restrict browser access but allow only 1 app to access that restricted application. Asking for Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-any-way-to-restrict-browser-access-but/bfd40041-5f6f-43c0-87c5-ee325eb4397d
  3. Is there any way to restrict browser access but allow only 1 app to access that restricted...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any way to restrict browser access but allow only 1 app to access that restricted...: Is there any way to restrict browser access but allow only 1 app to access that restricted application. Asking for Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-any-way-to-restrict-browser-access-but/bfd40041-5f6f-43c0-87c5-ee325eb4397d
  4. Is there any way to restrict browser access but allow only 1 app to access that restricted...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. p2p

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    p2p: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/p2p%E4%B8%8B%E8%BD%BD%E5%99%A8%E6%80%8E%E4%B9%88/336c8ccf-a022-4c2c-bbb2-ac7d60a99ed0
  6. Does Windows 10 education restrict me in any way?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does Windows 10 education restrict me in any way?: submitted by /u/badf1art [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m6k1mq/does_windows_10_education_restrict_me_in_any_way/
  7. Any way to have custom resolution on a specific program?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Any way to have custom resolution on a specific program?: I have an application not from Microsoft store that always runs at a lower resolution than my actual monitor's resolution. There are no options to change this within the application, and I already run on the highest resolution windows will allow. Is there any way to force the...
  8. A way to forcebind an application to specific network interface?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A way to forcebind an application to specific network interface?: If anyone knows a way? I found "forcebind" program but dunno if it works with windows 10? and i cant find how you UNbind if u make a mistake(?) Thanks submitted by /u/user_982396 [link] [comments]...
  9. How to entice a P2P local network update on W10 Home pc's?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to entice a P2P local network update on W10 Home pc's?: Win10 Home installed on 2 desktops and a laptop. They are networked together via ethernet cable. They belong to the same homegroup, and all "sharing" is working fine. . My internet connection at home is a metered connection via Jetpack. My home network (ethernet) is based...
  10. Is there ANY Way to Save a Tiny File to a Restricted Folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there ANY Way to Save a Tiny File to a Restricted Folder?: HELLO ! As you all know, there are some folders in Win10 in which MS disallows any edit (Example:: Normally, you Can't Save a file to folder "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps"). I have a ZERO-byte (Empty) file that I have (for Many Hours) been trying to figure out a way (with...