Windows 10: Anybody have a suggestion to fix File Date formatting in file explorer

Discus and support Anybody have a suggestion to fix File Date formatting in file explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Running Windows 10 fully updated. My File Explorer windows show several columns in the Details View: the Filename, Date Modified, Date Created, etc.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Win10Bozo, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Win10Bozo Win User

Anybody have a suggestion to fix File Date formatting in file explorer

Running Windows 10 fully updated. My File Explorer windows show several columns in the Details View: the Filename, Date Modified, Date Created, etc. The Date is formatted like this: Day Month Date Time with the Day and Month truncated to 3 letters and the Date and Time as dd (two numbers) & hh:mm. So like this, for example: Mon Oct 23 12:28.
    My problem is that there is no year and my files go back years -- a year here would be useful to me. (The taskbar clock year I don't find useful.)

My guess (and I could be wrong) is that the "no year" format that Windows Explorer is using is because of the way I've customized my taskbar clock, which I really like. I have 12 hour time with an 'A' or 'P' on the top line and Day Month dd on the bottom line. (The W10 taskbar clock shows two lines on my machine. No other software for this, just W10. The parameters are customized in Control Panel > Clock, Language, Region.) Note that my settings have no year.

So is there a way that would allow my clock to stay the same but the file date formats to be different? I'd prefer my "Date Modified" or "Date Created" columns to show the year.

I know, it's a tough question, but if someone has any ideas, e.g. registry modifications, I'd like to try them. Thank You!

Bozo *Smile

:)

Win10Bozo, Oct 22, 2017

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Oct 22, 2017
  3. Change date format in File Explorer

Hi Peter,

Thank you for posting your response.

We are glad to know that your issue has been resolved. Feel free to post in Community with regards to any Windows issue.

Vanessa.

Vanessa Sohtun, Oct 22, 2017
  4. Win10Bozo Win User

No one, not even Vishal Gupta, could help me with this. I finally had to use a workaround, it just ain't in Win10 settings or approachable (that I could find) with a hack.

I ended up using T-Clock (download from White-Tiger's github page) and resetting the W10 date format.

T-Clock so far has not caused any problems in my Windows 10. I'm using the "static version" & I copied the files to a folder in Program Files, put a shortcut in "Startup".
    The formatting of the taskbar clock is very customizable with T-Clock.

I changed my Win10 settings (there are a lot of options here, too):
    "ddd MMM d" to "MMM d yyyy" for filedate purposes - now shows, for example, "Nov 17, 2017" in 'date modified,' etc.
    (change this in Control Panel>Clock, Language>Region>Change date time format>"Additional" button>Date tab)

My notification area clock now has my choice of format of time & date. And I was also able to make the taskbar less tall by putting date & time on one line in T-Clock then changing the Win10 settings (Settings>Personalization>Taskbar>Use small taskbar buttons). The icons are pretty small but I really like it.

If you want no year in your taskbar clock but the full file date in "Date Created" and "Date Modified" this method can work for you.

Win10Bozo, Nov 16, 2017
  5. Josey Wales, Nov 16, 2017
  6. Rocky Win User
    My file explorer is set up by default (from Microsoft) to show the date on my files as day/month/4 digit year lay out, i.e. 11/17/2017.

Rocky, Nov 16, 2017
  7. I think The OP is referring to the time in the systray

Josey Wales, Nov 16, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

What did you use to customise the taskbar clock? Your problem in Explorer appears to be self-inflicted. It appears that a third-party tweaker you used may have changed the date format in more places than you intended/wanted.

No, because it shouldn't be modifiable in Settings in the first place. Unintended consequences like this are why I avoid third-party 'tweakers' like the plague....

9. LMiller7 Win User
    The date formatting settings in the regional and language section are used throughout Windows wherever the date is displayed, including the clock in the notification area. Although not required it is recommended practice for third party applications to do the same. This promotes consistency. I don't believe any version of Windows has ever provided a separate configuration for the notification area clock and I think this is proper.

LMiller7, Nov 17, 2017
  10. Hello

I faced the same challenge, and there is a simple solution that does not require any third-party software:
    go to Start menu / Settings / Time and language /
    Scroll down to Formats
    Click "Change Date and Time formats"
    Set "Short date" to "dd-MMM-yy"
    Then columns Date modified, Date created, etc, will appear as, for instance, 23-Nov-17 for 23 November 2017.

Hope this helps
    E.

TemporHarry, Nov 24, 2017
  11. Win10Bozo Win User
    If you WANT the year in the notification area date this thread isn't relevant to you.
    If you don't want a year in the file explorer date this thread isn't relevant to you.
    If you want NO year in the notification area PLUS a year in the file explorer date then you can learn from the above.
    Despite the suggestions above (Thanks to All) there is no way to get that with Windows 10 settings.
    Regarding the Winaero Tweaker suggestion: for me it was "a lot of software" - too much for my purpose.
    Regarding my use of 3rd party software being the cause of my problem: Not true. I didn't begin use of
    T-Clock (downloaded from White-Tiger's github page) until I gave up on a Windows 10 solution.
    I still haven't had a problem with T-Clock.

The essence of my question is a finicky preference for no year in the date in the notification area.
    My clock now reads: 1:25P 35 Fri Dec 1 -- I now have hour:min, A or P, seconds, Day, Month, Date

Additional Comments:
    1) the idea here is a little hard to grasp - most people don't care, or prefer that the year be displayed
    2) the Win10 taskbar clock itself actually does have settings - a LOT of options - but all with the year displayed
    3) don't you think it's weird that so many forum repliers haven't read the question or the previous replies?

Thanks to All from a Windows 10 Neophyte - I got more info here on tenforums than any forum I submitted to.

Win10Bozo, Nov 30, 2017
  12. Win10Bozo Win User
    from the original post:
    "(The W10 taskbar clock shows two lines on my machine. No other software for this, just W10. The parameters are customized in Control Panel > Clock, Language, Region.)"
    Actually, the Win10 customization options for the taskbar clock/calendar are pretty extensive.
    Take a look at them: Control Panel > Clock, Language, Region
    Those options come close to what I wanted, but for the actual fix I needed T-Clock.
    I didn't begin with T-Clock until I could not find a setting or hack of any kind in Win10,
    that is, I didn't have any 'tweakers.'

Win10Bozo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Anybody have a suggestion to fix File Date formatting in file explorer - Similar Threads - Anybody suggestion fix

2. Files Explorer Suggestions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files Explorer Suggestions: Files Explorer Suggestions:1. Recent list: compress it. Why is this list all spread out? Other lists of files in Explorer aren't all spread out.Compared to:2. Tab Titles Tab Titles would be more useful if they favored the right most part of the title instead of the most...
  3. Files Explorer Suggestions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files Explorer Suggestions: Files Explorer Suggestions:1. Recent list: compress it. Why is this list all spread out? Other lists of files in Explorer aren't all spread out.Compared to:2. Tab Titles Tab Titles would be more useful if they favored the right most part of the title instead of the most...
  4. How to Sort Files in Windows Explorer by Date Format in the Filename?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Sort Files in Windows Explorer by Date Format in the Filename?: Hi everyone,I have a folder in Windows Explorer that contains several files with names that include a date in the format "dd-mm-yyyy" e.g., 01-01-2022 File 1.txt, 02-03-2022 File 3.txt, 03-01-2022 File 2.txt. I would like to sort these files in ascending or descending order...
  5. Suggestion for File Explorer feature

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Suggestion for File Explorer feature: I am a heavy user of shortcuts to manage my files. I'd like a feature in Explorer where I can right click on a file or shortcut name and get a drop down menu-item called, say, "Links" to open a new Explorer window showing all the links shortcuts/original file along with the...
  6. Suggestion for File Explorer feature

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Suggestion for File Explorer feature: I am a heavy user of shortcuts to manage my files. I'd like a feature in Explorer where I can right click on a file or shortcut name and get a drop down menu-item called, say, "Links" to open a new Explorer window showing all the links shortcuts/original file along with the...
  7. File Explorer: Date

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer: Date: In File Explorer what does Date mean in comparison to Date Modified or Date Created? What date information does it provide? It is the default date format listed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-date/4614f159-9281-43d2-a1ea-3669f9a9abc0
  8. Different date formats for File Explorer and System Tray

in Windows 10 Customization
    Different date formats for File Explorer and System Tray: Hello, I recently updated the system tray's date format by adjusting the short date. But now I noticed that when I openFile Explorer, the date format for Date Modified and Date Created is the same as the one I created for the System tray. I don't want it to be the same...
  9. Suggestion FIX for File Explorer not working

Suggestion FIX for File Explorer not working: Now, this worked for me today CLOSE File Manager Click on Task Manager it can be found on Windows 10 on your taskbar at the bottom of the screen but I am old school so I use keys all at the same time SHIFT ALT DELETE Sort in alphabetical order if it isn't Right click...
  10. File explorer format

File explorer format: After the recent 1903 update I had noticed that the downloads folder in file explorer had a weird format to it. It was organized by "friendly date". is there any way to revert to the original layout prior to 1903? [ATTACH]...