Windows 10: Anyone done a dual boot setup of Windows 8 and 10?

Discus and support Anyone done a dual boot setup of Windows 8 and 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I'm getting there, I've downloaded the .ISO file, I've made 2 images of my C:\ drive (using 2 different backup programs) and I've created a 100... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MikeHawthorne, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Anyone done a dual boot setup of Windows 8 and 10?

Hi

I'm getting there, I've downloaded the .ISO file, I've made 2 images of my C:\ drive (using 2 different backup programs) and I've created a 100 GB partition on my second hard drive labeled Windows 10.

Now I'm going to create the install DVD.

I'm hoping that someone else will report how they did it and if they ran into any problems with the boot menu etc.

Mike

:)

MikeHawthorne, Oct 1, 2014
  2. KCA10 Win User

Can i install Windows 10 with Windows 8.1 as dual boot?

Research Done.

This link:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-with-windows-7-or-8
    has screenshots and complete dual boot instructions.

Ken.

KCA10, Oct 1, 2014
  3. getting DX Setup error: An internal error occurred, while trying to install a game.

I recommend you setup a dual boot configuration running Windows 7 then install them there.

How to: Dual Boot Windows 7 or Windows 8 with Windows 10 Installed First

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Andre Da Costa, Oct 1, 2014
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Anyone done a dual boot setup of Windows 8 and 10?

Hey Mike,

I just finished, and typing in Windows 10 now. Using a USB instead of a DVD would help it go faster for you.

If you have Secure Boot enabled, then you would want to disabled it until after Windows 10 is installed though.

Other than that, it went pretty smoothly. I just selected to install Windows 10 with UEFI on a second hard drive.

Brink, Oct 1, 2014
  5. theog Win User
    theog, Oct 1, 2014
  6. wards242 Win User
    Just done this on my 5 year old hardware dual CPU 32 bit Win 8.1 system - no problems. Downloaded the new software to the desktop and followed the procedure above as detailed by genet.
    Now why can't I have the new desktop layout on my Win 8.1 system!

wards242, Oct 1, 2014
  7. theog Win User
    theog, Oct 1, 2014
  8. Barman58 Win User

Multiple Boot is quite a lot simpler since Vista, as an OS does not need to be on a Primary Partition.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...ndows-8-a.html

During the Windows 7 Pre Beta and Beta phase I actually had a maximum of five working OS's on a single system, The boot partition and my Live Vista install were on Primaries and the rest, (up to four different Win 7 Builds), were on normal logical partitions, as was my Data partition that all OS's accessed *Smile

Barman58, Oct 10, 2014
  9. Phone Man Win User
    I had a dual boot with Windows 7 C:/ and 8.1 W:/ on one disk.
    I removed Windows 7 and formatted the C partition. I then renamed it Windows 10.
    I then changed the size of my partitions as this was a good time to do that also.
    I then booted to 8.1, mounted the ISO and used the setup in the sources folder and installed Windows 10 in the C partition.
    It worked great but then I screwed up and used EasyBCD to modify the boot menu and now it is the old text version and tried everything to get the GUI back but no joy. The big problem is sometimes the keyboard won't respond with the boot menu so can't select anything.
    Other then that it works great.

Anyone done a dual boot setup of Windows 8 and 10? [​IMG]

Anyone done a dual boot setup of Windows 8 and 10? [​IMG]

Just noticed that the System Reserved got assigned H:/ but I corrected that. Don't know when that happened as it is something new that I noticed.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Oct 10, 2014
  10. Barman58 Win User
    Jim, Have you tried to access the boot menu from within Either 8.1 or 10? I seem to recall it's a shift or Ctrl RESTART NOW in the PC Settings - Update and recovery, but don't quote me *Wink

Barman58, Oct 10, 2014
  11. Phone Man Win User
    I looked at both in W10 and W8.1 and it looks correct. I go through System and then Advanced System Settings - Startup and Recovery. For now I have to use that to change the Default OS so I can boot to the other OS. Going to watch Auburn and Mississippi State get it on so will mess with it later. May have to re-image and start over.

Jim *Sleepy

Phone Man, Oct 10, 2014
  12. Phone Man Win User
    I cranked up my Macrium restore as the games began and its now back to my original setup. I had never done an entire disc restore and was amazed that it returned my partitions to their original configuration. I will try again tomorrow to install W10 in place of my W7 and try not to screw it up this time.*Biggrin

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Oct 11, 2014
  13. Phone Man Win User

Ok I did it right this time. Formatted C: to wipe Windows 7 and then booted to W 8.1, mounted the W10 ISO, selected setup in sources folder and selected the C: partition and away it went. By having the partition already formatted and drive letter assigned W10 used that drive letter. Since my Norton is not compatible I am using Windows Defender, Malwarebytes 2.0.3.1025, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit 1.04.1.1012 and WinPatrol and all are working great.

I tried the upgrade route but it failed during install (twice) so I went with the ISO.

I don't like the new Start Menu especially All Apps so I went with the Start Screen.

Jim *Cool

Jim

Phone Man, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Anyone done a dual boot setup of Windows 8 and 10? - Similar Threads - Anyone done dual

2. How to uninstall Linux in Windows 10 Dual Boot setup

in Windows 10 News
    How to uninstall Linux in Windows 10 Dual Boot setup: [ATTACH]You may have installed Ubuntu or any other Linux distro on your PC alongside […] This article How to uninstall Linux in Windows 10 Dual Boot setup first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  3. Windows 8/10 dual boot problems with booting to the secondary system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 8/10 dual boot problems with booting to the secondary system: Hi, I installed Windows 10 beside of existing Windows 8.1 installation as secondary OS to second physical drive. When booting to Win 8, everything works fine but when booting Windows 10, I get the error screen shown below. The weir on it is that everything is at it's place...
  4. Dual Boot Setup for Windows 10

Dual Boot Setup for Windows 10: Hi, I have recently installed an SSD on the M.2 slot of my laptop. It came with a Mechanical 1Tb HDD. First, I installed the M.2 SSD on the motherboard and installed Windows 10 on it. A new clean setup. At this point of time my HDD was not connected. Next, I connected the...
  5. anyone done this on windows 10 yet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    anyone done this on windows 10 yet: hi anyone installed this yet or tried it on windows 10 ​How to run the native Ubuntu desktop on Windows 10 | ZDNet 71963
  6. Dual boot 8 and 10, will both be licensed?

Dual boot 8 and 10, will both be licensed?: I installed W10 onto my daughters laptop, but rolled back to W8. Is it possible, now that there is a license for each, to partition and do a clean install of 10 creating a dual boot? and will both be licensed? Thank you. 99619
  7. Windows 10 & Windows 7 Dual Boot - Can it be done

Windows 10 & Windows 7 Dual Boot - Can it be done: Have a Mini Desktop that was built to a spec and was purchased with Windows 10 Home Premium installed. The Motherboard has UEFI and the Hard Disk is with GPT. Recently had a support person from where the PC was purchased, log in remotely and attempt to talk me through how...
  8. Upgrade from Windows 8 (not 8.1) to Win 10 - anyone done it?

Upgrade from Windows 8 (not 8.1) to Win 10 - anyone done it?: I have a machine running Windows 8 which is full of stuff I'd want to reinstall, so didn't get round to upgrading to 8.1, especially once I discovered Windows 10 was coming. So my question is - can I use the ISO from the Media Creation Tool, to go straight from Windows 8.0...
  9. Dual boot anyone?

Dual boot anyone?: Anybody dual booting the release of W10 with either W8.1 or W7? I have been running W10TP along with W7 but it's my only machine(not counting and old XP laptop) and I don't want to upgrade. Waiting on a order of W8.1 Pro 64-bit right now. 10285
  10. Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8: How to: Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8 How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8 [img] Information Windows 10 is here. This tutorial will show you step by step on how to dual-boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8....