Windows 10: Anyone else here use Crucial Brand SSD's?

Discus and support Anyone else here use Crucial Brand SSD's? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm asking since I have noticed that when I boot up I will get the Event ID 10 error with the following. A TCG Command has returned an error. Desc:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Redbatman, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Redbatman Win User

Anyone else here use Crucial Brand SSD's?

I'm asking since I have noticed that when I boot up I will get the Event ID 10 error with the following.

A TCG Command has returned an error.
    Desc: AuthenticateSession
    Param1: 0x1
    Param2: 0x60000001C
    Param3: 0x900000006
    Param4: 0x0

I did get redirected to the crucial site from one the members here and it had told me that this may be a common problem based on the forum replies due to Windows 10 switching the SSD without asking the user first to use opal?
    Here is the link to the forum?

MX100 Causing Windows 10 to freeze (A TCG Command ... - Crucial Community

My question is that has anyone experience issues with this on Crucial SSD's or any SSD brands?

Thankfully I haven't experienced any freezing or having to do hard reboots yet.

:)

Redbatman, Dec 31, 2017

2. Lost Windows 10 after restore. Now I am unable to get 10 again. What can I do?

Andre, thanks for you response and I'm sure that the solutions offered would have solved my problem but it came too late and I wound up taking the pc to the Geek Squad.

Thanks again,

Dennis

ANYONE ELSE, Dec 31, 2017
  3. Lost Windows 10 after restore. Now I am unable to get 10 again. What can I do?

Original Title: windows 10 download

A couple months ago I purchased a Dell PC with 8.1. Downloaded the Windows 10 and operated for awhile. Had a problem (not with 10)and had to do restore and lost 10. Now I am unable to get 10 again. What can I do.

ANYONE ELSE, Dec 31, 2017
  4. vram Win User

I have an MX300 as an OS drive in my living room PC. Thankfully, no problems.

Any firmware updates available for your drive?

5. clam1952 Win User
    Not had any problems here with a 480GB M500.

clam1952, Dec 31, 2017
  6. Sven1458 Win User
    I have 2 BX200 drives, 240GB, no problem at all.
    about $70 on EBay.

Sven1458, Dec 31, 2017
  7. vram Win User
    The second post of that crucial community thread had a solution for you *Smile

8. Redbatman Win User

Thing is that that will be a pain. Also if I don't see anything going wrong for now can I just leave it as is?

Redbatman, Dec 31, 2017
  9. vram Win User
    If your PC is working fine, just ignore it, keep regular backups and move on.

Email Crucial, explaining the problem. Maybe they can provide a non destructive solution. Also report to Microsoft using the feedback hub. Give a detailed explanation, link the crucial thread, screenshot etc. seems like something that could be addressed in an update.

10. Kbird Win User
    Use Macrium Reflect Free to make Images as backup , (make sure to make the Rescue Disk/USB) , but eventually the drive will drive you crazy so you might as well wipe the Drive per the Crucial Forum Posts and get it over with....

Good info to have here on 10 Forums I think incase it's "lost" at Crucial....................

Long story short - MX100 model support hardware based encryption and it can be used in two modes, 'ATA security features set' and 'TCG Opal'. For some reason Windows 8 and Windows 10 enable TCG Opal mode during installation, without asking user for such permission. The problem is that in most cases TCG Opal mode encryption is not enabled after installation. Moreover Windows 10 Home doesn't support such encryption but enables it anyway. As far as I understand that correctly this is the reason of the issue - during Windows 10 install the drive is switched to TCG Opal mode, it is ready to use TCG Opal commands issued by OS but the OS (let's say Windows 10 Home) doesn't support this state. It has been thoroughly decribed by other forum user, r0m30 as far as I can remember.

To fix that you would have to reinstall Windows 10 one more time according to following steps:

1. First of all you have to 'PSID revert' the MX100 drive using Crucial Storage Executive tool - it reverts the drive from TCG Opal mode back to ATA security features set. For this step the drive has to be connected as a secondary drive - you cannot PSID revert your OS drive unfortunately.
    2. Then you can install Windows 10 again, however at the very begining of instalation you have to perform one of the available actions to prevent Windows 10 from switching the drive to TCG Opal mode again - here are possible solutions.
    ( see page 6 for a walk through too by musigreg)

Two days ago I have been installing W10 and fortunately I remembered about that. I have used Reg add... command at the begining of install.

Note: Before applying any of the workarounds the drive should be in ATA Security mode. So if the drive is in TCG Opal mode you should PSID revert it first.

So it seems that I can share following workarounds that works on my systems in order to prevent silent TCG Opal activation on the drives during W8.x/W10 install:

- it works - create small partition at the end of the clean drive (with Parted Magic I have created 300 MB ntfs partition at the end of the empty drive) and then install Windows. This seems to be quite simple solution
    Anyone else here use Crucial Brand SSD's? [​IMG]

- it works - set ATA HDD password on the drive if your motherboard/laptop supports it and then install Windows

- it works - Shift+F10 at the begining of install (for example at this screen) and run following command (this is single line command)
    Reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\EnhancedStorageDevices" /v TCGSecurityActivationDisabled /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

* You can also create small batch file (.bat extension) with the above command, place it on USB thumbdrive, Shift+F10 at the begining of install and run that .bat file.

Kbird, Dec 31, 2017
  11. Phone Man Win User
    On my Laptop with a MX100 and Windows 10 Home I get the error message but the system runs just fine.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Dec 31, 2017
  12. Redbatman Win User
    Well mine is the MX300

Redbatman, Dec 31, 2017
  13. Redbatman Win User

Well been two weeks now and I haven't noticed any catastrophes yet. Should I just leave it alone?

Redbatman, Jan 12, 2018
  14. Bat 1 Win User
    I'm on a M4 256GB that I've never bothered to upgrade the firmware from version 040H to version 070H. May get around to doing it one day but figured if I wasn't having any problems......

Bat 1, Jan 12, 2018
  15. Kbird Win User
    I have 070H on mine with no issues , though I think this issue was mainly with the MX line of drives

Kbird, Jan 12, 2018
Thema:

1. Anyone else here use Crucial Brand SSD's? - Similar Threads - Anyone else here

2. Anyone else had this before?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Anyone else had this before?: so yesterday i accidentally clicked to reset my windows password. It sort of glitched out and took me back to my desktop, but started behaving weirdly when i sign out, shutdown or restart. It displays 'just a moment', before it then does a completely normal procedure of...
  3. Anyone else had this before?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Anyone else had this before?: so yesterday i accidentally clicked to reset my windows password. It sort of glitched out and took me back to my desktop, but started behaving weirdly when i sign out, shutdown or restart. It displays 'just a moment', before it then does a completely normal procedure of...
  4. Anyone else receiving these errors?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Anyone else receiving these errors?: [ATTACH] Ever since early August, my system's been freezing on me, and it's been getting worse as of late. When I check the reliability monitor, this is the usual message I get under critical events: an error with Desktop Windows Manager and Windows 10 itself, causing the...
  5. Is anyone else here having issues with file explorer recently?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is anyone else here having issues with file explorer recently?: I'm not sure if it's the latest cumulative update, but I can hardly use file explorer now because it's freezing constantly. It takes forever to respond to clicks, and context menus don't appear for several seconds. The start menu doesn't respond to the windows key, and things...
  6. Is this happening to anyone else?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is this happening to anyone else?: Here: https://1drv.ms/v/s!Agsf-t-6PRlplx57lMwb_2E4qJG- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-this-happening-to-anyone-else/efa3e6ac-10d4-4a04-ba7d-62fece1b3add
  7. Anyone else find they cant use a # in password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Anyone else find they cant use a # in password: Just setup a windows 10 box and trying to RDP to the workstation. I can logon just find but when I try to RDP the logon window just pops back up. Discovered I cant have a # sign in the password. Any one else have this issue? Thanks 64396
  8. Crucial 500gb SSD Momentum cache

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Crucial 500gb SSD Momentum cache: Hi, I have downloaded crucial executive for my SSD and on one page there is a button to enable the drives momentum cache. Also on this page is a warning that my PC is not battery backuped so enabling momentum cache is at my own risk. I backup my SSD to a Hitachi mechanical...
  9. Clean Install to New Crucial SSD Activation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean Install to New Crucial SSD Activation: I just got off the phone with MS Support.*Mad My current HD is so full I decided to install a new Crucial 500GB SSD to hold the OS and all Apps. I have downloaded Win 10 ISO and burned it to a Disc with the intent of installing to the new SSD which will be the primary while...
  10. Anyone else stuck at "Working on it"?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anyone else stuck at "Working on it"?: I'm upgrading one of my windows 7 machines today. I gave it a fresh install of Windows 7.1 a week or so back in preps, and the only thing I added to that installation was to insure that all updates were installed after it. Meaning, I ran windows update and installed them...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mx100 causing windows 10 to freeze (a tcg command ... - crucial community