Windows 10: Anyone else losing overall speed from Bitlocker?

Discus and support Anyone else losing overall speed from Bitlocker? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have encrypted my drive 3 times, running a benchmark before and after encryption. I finally settled on 128 aes-xts default on Bitlocker. These tests... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by CannonRebel, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Anyone else losing overall speed from Bitlocker?

I have encrypted my drive 3 times, running a benchmark before and after encryption. I finally settled on 128 aes-xts default on Bitlocker. These tests were done with fresh installs of windows 10 home, and a windows 10 pro upgrade added right after with no other software installed on the computer.

The hard drive, Seagate Firecuda dropped from 117% to 86% overall performance.
    CPU i3-7100 dropped from 71.5 to 69.2
    The Nvidia 1050 Ti graphics card dropped from 39.4 to 34.1
    Memory 8gb, no change.

The computer went from 88th performance percentile down to 56th. What a hit. With Veracrypt 256 aes encryption, the performance drop on my Dell and Gateway computers was only about 1-2%. I could not even notice it. Where as my brand new Acer with Bitlocker encryption was so noticeable, it prompted me to bench it. I thought I had a virus.
    Bitlocker is a virus*Mad

:)

CannonRebel, Jan 6, 2018

2. Lost Windows 10 after restore. Now I am unable to get 10 again. What can I do?

Andre, thanks for you response and I'm sure that the solutions offered would have solved my problem but it came too late and I wound up taking the pc to the Geek Squad.

Thanks again,

Dennis

ANYONE ELSE, Jan 6, 2018
  3. Lost Windows 10 after restore. Now I am unable to get 10 again. What can I do?

Original Title: windows 10 download

A couple months ago I purchased a Dell PC with 8.1. Downloaded the Windows 10 and operated for awhile. Had a problem (not with 10)and had to do restore and lost 10. Now I am unable to get 10 again. What can I do.

ANYONE ELSE, Jan 6, 2018
  4. Anyone else losing overall speed from Bitlocker?

I find it hard to believe Bitlocker would affect your graphics and CPU benchmarks. Which benchmarks are you running? I have a spare Bitlocker system I can play around with.

PolarNettles, Jan 6, 2018
  5. CannonRebel, Jan 6, 2018
  6. No significant difference in my testing.

1. Reboot
    2. Wait 5 minutes
    3. Run Nova
    4. Run UserBenchmark
    5. Enable/disable BitLocker
    6. Wait for encryption/decryption to complete
    7. Go to 1

BitLocker enabled:
    Code: Nova UserBenchmark Run CPU RAM GPU Disk Proc Graphics Drive Mem 1 555 268 704 78 80.5% 37.3% 77.4% 78.4% 2 554 268 704 78 80.4% 37.4% 76.8% 78.5% 3 556 268 704 71 80.0% 37.4% 78.3% 78.2%[/quote] BitLocker disabled:
    Code: Nova UserBenchmark Run CPU RAM GPU Disk Proc Graphics Drive Mem 1 556 268 704 71 79.5% 37.3% 86.4% 78.0% 2 557 260 704 83 80.8% 37.3% 93.7% 78.5% 3 558 270 704 75 80.1% 37.3% 82.4% 77.6%[/quote] Edit: This is on a clean install of Win10 Pro with all updates installed, all drivers installed from Windows Update except for manually-installed nVidia drivers.

UserBenchmark (BitLocker enabled): Asrock Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac Performance Results - UserBenchmark

PolarNettles, Jan 6, 2018
  7. Thanks for your response.
    It must be my upgrade, very few others have reported any slow downs either. I can't find anyone with a graphics card problem from Bitlocker encryption, lol. Maybe I'll just encrypt the OS with veracrypt and use encrypted volumes.

CannonRebel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Anyone else losing overall speed from Bitlocker?

1. Anyone else losing overall speed from Bitlocker? - Similar Threads - Anyone else losing

2. Has the recent Windows Update from 24th of August 2023 triggered BitLocker for anyone else?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Has the recent Windows Update from 24th of August 2023 triggered BitLocker for anyone else?: I ran an update on my Dell Inspirion 15 that runs on Windows 11 on 24/08/23 in the evening and went to sleep.Next morning, when trying to access my PC, I was confronted by a BitLocker recovery screen. It says: BitLocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because...
  3. Has the recent Windows Update from 24th of August 2023 triggered BitLocker for anyone else?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Has the recent Windows Update from 24th of August 2023 triggered BitLocker for anyone else?: I ran an update on my Dell Inspirion 15 that runs on Windows 11 on 24/08/23 in the evening and went to sleep.Next morning, when trying to access my PC, I was confronted by a BitLocker recovery screen. It says: BitLocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because...
  4. Overall download speeds slow and frequent game disconnections.

Overall download speeds slow and frequent game disconnections.: I made a post asking for help for the first problem but with no positive outcome, will paste info here:When I try to download games, the speeds are around 1-3mb/s, this is consistent with all the launchers I tested. When downloading files from the web, it's around 100kb/s. I...
  5. Overall download speeds are extremely slow.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Overall download speeds are extremely slow.: When I try to download games, the speeds are around 1-3mb/s, this is consistent with all the launchers I tested. When downloading files from the web, it's around 100kb/s. I did an internet test and I got around 10mb/s on both download and upload. On another pc it's 60mb/s and...
  6. Overall download speeds are extremely slow.

Overall download speeds are extremely slow.: When I try to download games, the speeds are around 1-3mb/s, this is consistent with all the launchers I tested. When downloading files from the web, it's around 100kb/s. I did an internet test and I got around 10mb/s on both download and upload. On another pc it's 60mb/s and...
  7. Overall download speeds are extremely slow.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Blocking anyone else from signing in

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Blocking anyone else from signing in: So I'm running the latest Windows version on my laptop. My brother - who seems to be addicted to any type of electronic device - keeps getting desperate and tries to keep sneak use my laptop whenever I'm asleep or not there to be guarding it myself. I've already changed the...
  9. Is this happening to anyone else?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is this happening to anyone else?: Here: https://1drv.ms/v/s!Agsf-t-6PRlplx57lMwb_2E4qJG- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-this-happening-to-anyone-else/efa3e6ac-10d4-4a04-ba7d-62fece1b3add
  10. Very slow boot and general overall low speed.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very slow boot and general overall low speed.: Several people kindly tried to help when I first asked in the thread Slow boot, slow shutdown, and slow program starts. but, understandably, ran out of patience. The problem still exists. The system is now Windows 1803 (OS Build 17134.165) The computer takes almost 3...
Tags: