Windows 10: Anyone hates shortcut arrows

Discus and support Anyone hates shortcut arrows in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I hate those ugly shortcut arrows and this, from XP on. Found this little tool to clean them up while on XP: FxVisor but, it is now called... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Flashorn, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Flashorn Win User

Anyone hates shortcut arrows

I hate those ugly shortcut arrows and this, from XP on.

Found this little tool to clean them up while on XP:

FxVisor

but, it is now called Vista Shortcut Overlay Remover.

Still works great even on 10 :

Both 32 & 64bit version.

FxVisor 64bit version

Notice , no ugly arrows:

Anyone hates shortcut arrows [​IMG]

:)

Flashorn, Oct 3, 2014
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Desktop Arrow Symbols

The arrow symbol in your screen capture is the standard arrow for a shortcut, it does not mean compression !!

For a step by step registry hack to remove these standard shortcut arrows -
    Click HERE

DaveM121, Oct 3, 2014
  3. Bruce Hagen, Oct 3, 2014
  4. CountMike New Member

I hate them passionately, in XP and W7 I used to remove them as one of the first things after installations. Unfortunately when I tried (bunch of possible ways) I always ended up with blank space where they used to be and ended up being uglier than arrows themselves.
    Ps. Am I going blind or I can't see where to download it.

CountMike, Oct 3, 2014
  5. Flashorn Win User
    No, well, I don't think you are going blind are you?

Here you go (from Brinks Tut on Sevenforums)

Shortcut Arrow - Change, Remove, or Restore - Windows 7 Help Forums

Flashorn, Oct 3, 2014
  6. CountMike New Member
    There we go again, just like in Win8. This program requires some .NET version 2.0 to run, will try to get it now. Oki doki, installed .NET 2.0, installed program, check for it's process, told program to implement No bloody arrows, and it listened to me, ha !!! must have scared it to work. Thanks a bunch. Now I'll have to do it to 8.1 too. In Win 10 works.

BTW. did you check Windows services ? there's a bunch of new ones and some with the comment: "Failed to read description. Code 15100"

CountMike, Oct 3, 2014
  7. Flashorn Win User
    Yes, I had to install .Net 2.0 for another little tool I use so, since it was already installed.
    I didn't notice it.

Haven't really taken a close look at any of the Windows folders yet.
    Since this is an evaluation copy, I'm sure there are some services that
    are not yet installed or activated and you would get some errors or
    warnings. I won't really bother myself with these until we get the retail
    version.

Your welcome.

Flashorn, Oct 4, 2014
  8. CountMike New Member

Ha. works on Win 8.1 too, super-duper !!!
    As far as those new services go, going to print out both lists and compare. Haven't seen any of those referenced with running processes, must be something for new, not yet implemented features. Haven't seen any warnings about them either.

CountMike, Oct 4, 2014
  9. Trust_No1 Win User
    That's what I use, I never could figure out why they didn't let us turn it off.

Trust_No1, Oct 7, 2014
  10. endeavor Win User
    Actually doing it does not require .NET !
    First of all you can change the shortcut arrows to any other icon you want by using Brinks Option # One on that same Tutorial webpage which is a self-run non installing program within the WindowsShortcutArrowEditor.zip file there, it's easier quicker better and I Much Prefer it this time around.

Also of course to stop the annoying text of Shortcut from appearing on created shortcuts - just use his Option Four, is a simple one line reg file, click/merge, and that's it, gone.

~~~

My comment this year is that yes at first for Windows 10 I did the same thing as the rest of you, I wanted to use the "Vista Shortcut Overlay Remover" I did the years before, but when I started it to install and seeing that old familiar complaining about .NET not being installed and that instantly reminded me - and this time I wasn't having it!!! ..and remembering the other easier and quite frankly much better methods to use from that same Tutorial to accomplish the same functions without installing .NET or Anything else - it was easier and I now much prefer Brinks Option Four to remove the Shortcut text, and if you want Option One changing that big obtrusive white shortcut icon changing it to the little blue one (or whatever else you want) then use that too. I do both, click, click, and I was done doing both tasks in seconds.

endeavor, Oct 7, 2014
  11. CountMike New Member
    Installing .NET 2.0 took few moments only, I have whole collection of all the full .NET installation. Before, when I tried thru reg hack I ended up with white space where arrows were, this way everything ended up properly.

CountMike, Oct 7, 2014
  12. I used Ultimate Windows Tweaker v2.2 which is like TweakUI for Windows 7 and 8x. It also does the job. I first used the tool in Vista and it's excellent. Be careful though.

Jody Thornton, Oct 8, 2014
  13. endeavor Win User

My point was for instance, installing .NET 2 uses a few hundred MB's of space! (if you install the other versions they all take well over a GB of space) I'm not against .NET but just for changing the Shortcuts you can use a One line entry in a reg file, which btw is not a hack, and neither is WindowsShortcutArrowEditor to change which icon is overlayed on the shortcut. The reason why you ended up with a white space was because you just used the wrong item is all.

Anyway, I support whatever you want to do!

My only point is simply why install a few hundred MB of .NET just to change the text writing on a shortcut, when you can do it with 1 registry entry and Zero kb.

endeavor, Oct 8, 2014
  14. adamf Win User
    To answer the OP question, no - I like to know if something is a program object or a shortcut to one.

Could be confusing otherwise. On start screen or taskbar you don't have the arrow.

Is it shorcuts on the desktop that is the issue? Just curious.

adamf, Oct 8, 2014
  15. CountMike New Member
    Yes, desktop icons, those arrows are overlays, overlays are handled by GPU and that can make a mess sometimes but to me it's generally annoying. I don't keep any executables on the desktop either and in W8 arrows end up BIG.
    As for .NET, other programs use them, it's not only because of this program.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Anyone hates shortcut arrows - Similar Threads - Anyone hates shortcut

2. Shortcut arrows disappear

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut arrows disappear: Windows 11. I keep shortcuts with arrows on my desktop to quickly open files and folders. However, every 3 weeks or so, the arrows disappear. I run the program “Restore_default_shortcut_arrow.reg” to restore them. It does a great job, but I have to reboot each time....
  3. Shortcut arrows disappear

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shortcut arrows disappear: Windows 11. I keep shortcuts with arrows on my desktop to quickly open files and folders. However, every 3 weeks or so, the arrows disappear. I run the program “Restore_default_shortcut_arrow.reg” to restore them. It does a great job, but I have to reboot each time....
  4. Shortcut Arrow Size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut Arrow Size: GreetingsI have just reinstalled Windows 11. After all Windows updates the system is at version 22H2 22621.963.I notice now that when I create a shortcut on the desktop, the arrow is extremely small. Here is an image:The shortcut arrows in Explorer windows appear to be the...
  5. Shortcut Arrow Size

Shortcut Arrow Size: GreetingsI have just reinstalled Windows 11. After all Windows updates the system is at version 22H2 22621.963.I notice now that when I create a shortcut on the desktop, the arrow is extremely small. Here is an image:The shortcut arrows in Explorer windows appear to be the...
  6. Shortcut arrows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut arrows: How to remove shortcut arrows in windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-arrows/e8445720-f95a-4605-a968-5b76569c5b9b
  7. Shortcut arrows

Shortcut arrows: How to remove shortcut arrows in windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-arrows/e8445720-f95a-4605-a968-5b76569c5b9b
  8. Remove shortcut arrows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove shortcut arrows: How do we remove those desktop shortcut arrows? Is there a quick way w/o digging into the registry? I don't see it in the latest UWT. Thanks *Wink 113829
  9. Shortcut arrow

Shortcut arrow: How remove shortcut arrows from desktop icons in Win10 ? 8484
  10. Hiding Shortcut Arrow

Hiding Shortcut Arrow: Hello folks I am new to both these forums and windows 10, so please try and bear with me. Okay, in previous iterations of windows I was always able to hide those unsightly shortcut arrows that are attached to shortcut icons on the desktop. I can do so in Windows 10,...