Windows 10: Anyone have 10 working on SSD laptop?

Discus and support Anyone have 10 working on SSD laptop? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I cannot get it to run from upgrade or ISO distribution. Hangs with ntfs errors. 25664 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rotors, Oct 8, 2015.

1. rotors Win User

Anyone have 10 working on SSD laptop?

I cannot get it to run from upgrade or ISO distribution. Hangs with ntfs errors.

:)

rotors, Oct 8, 2015
  2. AnyOne-10 Win User

Fresh backup shows files and folders that do not exist on the system

Both SFC and DISM finished successfully, but files/folders still show non-existing Previous Versions.

Any other suggestions?

BTW. I have been using Backup using File History since Windows 8.0, but still don't feel comfortable with it.

AnyOne-10, Oct 8, 2015
  3. AnyOne-10 Win User
    Fresh backup shows files and folders that do not exist on the system

Due to a lack of a further response from Microsoft, I tried the following drastic measures:

• Reset the PC and keep my files

This did not solve the problem
    • Reset PC and don't keep my files

This did nit solved the problem
    After further investigation I found out about vssadmin and
    wbadmin
    . With these tools you can cleanup older shadowstorage and backups. But how come this info retained information as old as 2013 about backups after a fresh install of Windows 10 without keeping my files?

It appears there is another source of information about backups: The disk on which the backup is stored. The MediaID.bin file seems to keep information on the files/folders in the backup created.

Solution:

• Deleted the backup folder on my external disk
    • Removing the MediaID.bin
    • Cleaning up shadow copies (vssadmin) and the backup catalog (wbadmin)
    • Creating fresh backup
    Now Backup and Restore (Windows 7) does no longer list old backups in the catalog and versions of files. And the "Previous Versions" tab of files does not show older versions anymore.

AnyOne-10, Oct 8, 2015
  4. essenbe Win User

I have it running on a laptop and 2 Desktops. An SSD is really not much different than any other hard drive, just much faster. 10 runs very well on SSDs.

essenbe, Oct 8, 2015
  5. Running it on an SSD in my laptop as well. You need to supply more info. Upgrading to 10 from? or a clean install? Where did you get your install media? How did you do the install?

alphanumeric, Oct 8, 2015
  6. Rocky Win User
    Yes.

Rocky, Oct 8, 2015
  7. toolman59 Win User
    toolman59, Oct 8, 2015
  8. Flame Red Win User

I could not get the upgrade to go on a newish laptop where I had installed a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal Solid State Drive. I had to move the SSDI image to a regular hard disk, perform the upgrade to Windows 10, then move the image back to the SSD.

Flame Red, Oct 8, 2015
  9. I did an upgrade from 8.1 to W10 on my Dell XPS 15 with SSD. Everything went well and system runs great.

Reedso ABQ, Oct 8, 2015
  10. rotors Win User
    I got install media from Microsoft.

I first upgraded from 8.1 to 10 on laptop HDD. Created a system image and restored onto SSD. Started having the hangs (taskbar, any file explorer operations). I then used Acronis to clone the HDD to SSD. Same problem. I downloaded the 10 pro ISO and did fresh instal (after using getstateofos.exe for license). Problem. I ran sfc /scannow but it shows no errors. Updated the Asus BIOS and reinstalled. Problem. It just will not function on my SSD. Crucial MX200 1TB. As stated 10 works great with HDD. Problem is with SSD.

edit: Doing all of this I have repartitioned and checked the SSD several times. These operations work fine. It is just the Windows 10 OS that causes the problem. It runs for 5-20 minutes then just hangs. The taskbar stops working first, but sometimes an working application continues to work until the filesystem gets hit, eventually the screen goes blank and I have to shutdown and reboot to get it working again until it hangs.

rotors, Oct 8, 2015
  11. strollin Win User
    I bought a laptop running Win 10 on a hdd, cloned that hdd to an ssd and it runs fine.

strollin, Oct 8, 2015
  12. Could there be a problem with your SSD? I also can confirm I have Win10 running smooth on all my ssds (multiple computers).

Did you do any performance benchmarking or use your SSD for a long time period (years)? Heavy formatting, or other such SSD wearing?

You can check for errors, some BIOS/UEFI have built-in diagnostic for such a thing, but not all. Could check with MS disk check (you have to put it into a computer with Windows installed; doesn't have to be on the SSD itself).

DustSailor, Oct 8, 2015
  13. rotors Win User

They are brand new SSDs. I have 2. Both exhibit the same problem(s). Partitioning and copying 500GB of files work fine. It is only when the OS is installed are there problems.

rotors, Oct 9, 2015
  14. No problems on my new machine. Upgraded from 8.1 to 10 a day or so ago and everything went smooth as silk. SSD as boot drive.

indianacarnie, Oct 9, 2015
  15. f14tomcat Win User
    10 rtm on my sp3.... no issues, runs slick!

f14tomcat, Oct 9, 2015
Thema:

1. Anyone have 10 working on SSD laptop? - Similar Threads - Anyone working SSD

2. Anyone else having an issue connecting to Verizon on their laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Anyone else having an issue connecting to Verizon on their laptop?: Hi, I forgot to click for my ESIM profile to not be deleted during a hard reset. Not for some reason I cannot connect my pc to Verizon again. Instead, I get an error Saying "We couldn't get to the website.". I have no idea what it means or why I can't reinstall my ESIM. I...
  3. Anyone else having an issue connecting to Verizon on their laptop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Anyone else having an issue connecting to Verizon on their laptop?: Hi, I forgot to click for my ESIM profile to not be deleted during a hard reset. Not for some reason I cannot connect my pc to Verizon again. Instead, I get an error Saying "We couldn't get to the website.". I have no idea what it means or why I can't reinstall my ESIM. I...
  4. Booted desktop SATA SSD with laptop M.2 SSD now the desktop SSD won't work both have...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Booted desktop SATA SSD with laptop M.2 SSD now the desktop SSD won't work both have...: A little backstory, both SSD's have windows 10 on them with different license of course. I wanted to read the laptop SSD as a regular drive so I can export files from, into my new desktop. I placed the laptop ssd into the desktop while it was running, but there was nothing...
  5. I have an SSD that won’t work in my laptop but works fine via USB. I put a new SSD with a...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have an SSD that won’t work in my laptop but works fine via USB. I put a new SSD with a...: Older versions of Windows had the easy transfer options but now it appears as if those are all gone. What do? submitted by /u/SpaceForceAwakens [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hty6y8/i_have_an_ssd_that_wont_work_in_my_laptop_but/
  6. Anyone suddenly having trouble with their Windows 10 laptops?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Anyone suddenly having trouble with their Windows 10 laptops?: Hi all! So I'm pretty frustrated right now as I've spent several days searching for a fix for my problem. In the last 3 days my HP laptop with Windows 10, v1909 8 gb RAM has suddenly slowed down VERY drastically. The problem literally started overnight. It was slow to the...
  7. Does anyone have Nearby Sharing working?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does anyone have Nearby Sharing working?: Both of the PC's have Low Energy Bluetooth devices. Both PC's have Nearby Sharing enabled. With the other PC 4 ft away, I can't see it. https://imgur.com/5nxRznl submitted by /u/Mister_Kurtz [link] [comments]...
  8. Clone laptop hd to SSD not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Clone laptop hd to SSD not working: I cloned laptop to SSD and it says cloned successfully. I stick the SSD into the laptop and it doesn't work. Messages on screen say ' Initialising and establishing link' Then ' DHCP' with a flashing slash' 'Exiting intel boot agent cannot boot from any device' then to a...
  9. Anyone have Windows 10 working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Anyone have Windows 10 working: with a mobile NVidia 7600 card? 39832
  10. Anyone else having the problem of "Working On It"?

in Windows 10 Support
    Anyone else having the problem of "Working On It"?: [img] I only have problems on "Facebook" when i try to upload an image from the Desktop. Everything else works. 22066