Windows 10: Anyone notice a network bandwidth/performance drop with 1803?

Discus and support Anyone notice a network bandwidth/performance drop with 1803? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; just tried in a linux and mac vm and got good speeds. Hrm. leading me back to it being a browser issue or windows issue. how could a specific browser... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by klepp0906, Apr 5, 2018.

1. klepp0906 Win User

Anyone notice a network bandwidth/performance drop with 1803?

just tried in a linux and mac vm and got good speeds. Hrm. leading me back to it being a browser issue or windows issue. how could a specific browser impact download speeds relative to any other? Or is it more likely its something to do w/ windows itself? QoS? Even though i never messed with it ive heard people have issues at times.At a loss.

klepp0906, Apr 5, 2018
  2. klepp0906 Win User

So ive been losing my hair for about a week trying to sort out the issues im having. Began with ping spikes which led to bandwidth testing and its beginning to look like the new windows update may be at fault.

ive changed dns. ive disabled/enabled dns relay. Ive rebooted modem & switch. Ive had a tech out to test signal strength.

His netbook plugged directly into the modem got expected and acceptable speeds. I got expected speeds when it was installed a month ago but between then and now who knows what changed and one thing did for sure - an update from 1709 to 1803.

I circumvented my switch as a process of elmination. Plugged my pc directly into the modem hoping to see better speeds but nope, still bad. so not modem. not switch.

I have 3 pc's unfortunately theyre all on 1803. I cant test on one as its an old laptop with a 100mb ethernet port.

The other 2 im testing on and both get inadequate and inconsistent speeds.

Since they both did i thought for sure it was the switch. Since that isnt it, the only other factor that ties them together is the OS.

Speeds were good before, they are no longer.

Just looking for some insight on what my options are? I def dont want to have to reinstall to test my theory. It cant/wont happen on my main pc but even on my backup pc thats a chore id rather not under take for a few hundred mbps. (pains me to say that but with kids, time is at a premium these days lol)

Has anyone noticed the same? If so is it something microsoft will eventually address?

no idea what to do.

On the day of install i was getting ~950/50 today the best i managed after tweaking a buncha settings for throughput was ~700/40

so inconsistent that some are ~300mbps and most are in the 600mbps range of my hardwired gigabit connection.

Networking isnt my thing so unsure where to even go beyond what ive done already.

Any takers?

:)

klepp0906, Apr 24, 2018
  3. dljitx Win User
    Nokia 5800 Network Settings

Hi, I have been unable to watch youtube videos on my 5800 XM, I have now changed the setting in the real player, so it works, but I also noticed that in the advanced option I can change the following

GPRS Bandwidth (Currently set @ 40.20 kbit/s)

EGPRS Bandwidth (Currently set @ 89.60 kbit/s)

UMTS Bandwidth (Currently set @ 384.00 kbit/s)

WLAN Bandwidth (Currently set @ 1.43 Mbit/s)

and HSDPA Bandwidth (Currently set @ 1.43 mbit/s).

If I change the above to the maximum will it speed up the internet on my phpne, my own home broadband is 3.6 Meg, but I notice it's very slow on my phone, just wondering if anyone could assist me with this and help speed up the internet connection on the
    phone when using WLAN or just using the internet.

I appreciate any help on this matter. I live in Ireland and my phone is SIM FREE and use O2 network.

Thanks

dljitx, Apr 24, 2018
  4. Anyone notice a network bandwidth/performance drop with 1803?

Upgrading from Windows 7 Ultimate x64 to Windows 10 Pro x64 lost 11Mbps Ethernet

Today i freshly installed my Windows 10 and noticed that there is speed drop by 2Mb/s or ~11Mbps I disabled remote update and made 0% bandwidth reservation (How to Increase Internet Speed in Windows 10) but still speed drop exist what
    should I do?

Speed258LT, Apr 24, 2018
  5. I have had issues very similar to that but not related to Windows versions. First thing I would do is test for packet loss. I use a program called Ping Plotter to do this:

PingPlotter for Windows | PingPlotter

This will allow you to see if there are any issues with your network. If you have packet loss that reaches the final destination, that means your ISP is to blame.

Packet loss can be intermittent and not happen all the time. I had this happen with techs out many times. They finally came out when it happened and fixed it.

Access Denied, Apr 24, 2018
  6. klepp0906 Win User
    Thank you very much for the reply. I’ll give that a look tomorrow. I did use winmtr to some arbitrary website off the top of my head (forget what) and it didn’t indicate any loss but it probably wasn’t be right tool for the job and/or I didn’t know what I was doing.

Fwiw source forge bandwidth test doesn’t show packet loss either but I’m not sure if that’s the same thing or thorough enough or what have you.

I’ll take a peek at that app first thing in the AM before I lose my mind.

klepp0906, Apr 24, 2018
  7. You're welcome. I can understand completely how frustrating bad internet can be. I put up with it for years here as there is no other options that provide the speeds I need.

Access Denied, Apr 24, 2018
  8. klepp0906 Win User

lol you know thats right >.<

Well - I got the program, and its installed. Ran a few quick tests with a few servers once i could dig up the IP/actual host name.

Unfortunately its late and I get up early with the kiddos. Then ill have to figure out how to interpret the results and where to go from there. (unless theres a relatively easy TLDR version?)

I did notice some packetloss but not sure if that tells me inside network, outside network, if its normal, much less what to do about it.

First time for everything I suppose. Maybe ive been lucky. Ive had cable internet ever since it was a thing (20 years or so?) and upgrade regularly. Never had an issue. Not one. Till now. Same isp ive been with problem free for ages but i guess between the windows upgrade, a new pc build, a new docsis 3.1 modem and the new speed. Something went awry.

I imagine I can discount the pc itself having anything to do with it though since I get roughly the same crap speed on the one next to it.

Anyhow, off to bed. Once again, thank you for your time and help!

klepp0906, Apr 24, 2018
  9. sml156 Win User
    If you want a stable system you should stick with stable releases

sml156, Apr 24, 2018
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi folks

using the first rel of 1803 -- not the latest - but noticed no probs whatsoever with network degradation speeds.

getting just under 200 Mbs on download via Wireless network (5GHZ) from the Internet and via transfer from Linux NAS on Local Network of around 440 Mbs with SAMBA transfer. (megabits / sec in both cases to avoid confusion).

Internet speed can vary depending on how busy target site it, what you are downloading etc etc.

As for browser speed it makes very little difference on which browser you use to the overall download time -- some might take longer to load etc and depending on what site you are using some scrape data etc to send to people like Google etc so you have to use a test of something like OOKLA - which is reasonable but you probably won't get that speed when actually downloading content from real sites. !!!

My experience is Network speed is no different from current "Normal" system 1709.

As for Real time downloads -- I can get TV from BBC at roughly 173 Mb/s and radio streams (320K) at 57 Mb/s -- why radio is slower than TV - no idea but that's real time downloads from quite a busy site.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 24, 2018
  11. cereberus Win User
    There seems to be an issue affecting some users with 17134 whereby if you are using an external or internal hyperV switch, the bridged wifi connection is affected on host. Issue does not arise if you use HyperV default switch

cereberus, Apr 24, 2018
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Tested again on a Linux VM with HYPER-V and NAT rather than bridged - HOST is 1803 (early "unofficial" but a genuine Ms source") running on a spare laptop with 8GB RAM and i5 processor.

still getting decent speed from BBC 1 Hr program at 760 X 1280 50fps so approx 2.5GB (Don't think Beeb do 1920 X 1080 downloads yet). Connection via Wifi - decent wifi card in laptop so not an issue there.

Anyone notice a network bandwidth/performance drop with 1803? [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 24, 2018
  13. klepp0906 Win User

My other PCs are in slow and fast ring effectively - the main pc is in the “bug fixes and release candidates only” or whatever it’s called. Was still pushed to it right around the time it was “supposed to release” so didn’t think anything of it until this was discovered which was well too late.

klepp0906, Apr 24, 2018
  14. klepp0906 Win User
    Ty everyone else for looking into it. Networking isn’t my thing beyond a very basic level so much of what your saying is foreign.

Easy enough to ascertain that the problem likely isn’t due to windows itself. I highly doubt my netgear smart/managed switch is taking a dump either.

What’s absurd is how the tech was able to get full speed connecting to it hardwired yet when I bypassed and connected direct it still didn’t work.

At one point yesterday, chrome gave horrible speeds but incognito mode was much closer to what it should be. Now it doesn’t matter.

Edge was the same. Now it doesn’t matter.

I assumed it was a chrome issue so reset it to defaults and removed extensions without fruition.

FWIW when I’m speaking of speeds I’m speaking of Speedtest.net and/or the Speedtest app. Wide open west (my isp) also has its own Speedtest which results are the same (bad).

I don’t know where to go from here. I’ve done everything I know to up to this point but things are now foreign. Part of me wants to assume it’s on their end since it just popped up. Unfortunately the tech said and showed me it was fine. Signal and literally on his pc.

I go back upstairs after he leaves, run it and end up with 290/35 of a 1000/50. Frustrating!

klepp0906, Apr 24, 2018
  15. klepp0906 Win User
    klepp0906, Apr 24, 2018
Thema:

1. Anyone notice a network bandwidth/performance drop with 1803? - Similar Threads - Anyone notice network

2. Weird Performance drop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird Performance drop: Hi, I've been playing on my laptop for about 2-3 years now and it didn't seem to have big performance issues. However, as it stands since a few weeks ago, the performance dropped in the device. I gave it to repair quite recently due to a short circuit, yet the GPU and CPU...
  3. Weird Performance drop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird Performance drop: Hi, I've been playing on my laptop for about 2-3 years now and it didn't seem to have big performance issues. However, as it stands since a few weeks ago, the performance dropped in the device. I gave it to repair quite recently due to a short circuit, yet the GPU and CPU...
  4. Sudden Pc Performance Drop

Sudden Pc Performance Drop: Hey,I used to Be able to Play Fortnite, Valorant, Gta V in mid settings without any slutter or FPS drop but nowadays whenever i try to play such titles my Game Sluttrers a lot even in the lowest possible settings, it gives fps but slutters a lot and i was also able to do...
  5. Weird performance drop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird performance drop: This used to never happen to me. My game is constantly getting 15 or under FPS, when I usually get 60 with the same amount of CPU, GPU and Memory usage. Also even if I restart the game it will still have the same problem, and I actually have to restart the whole laptop. Even...
  6. Weird performance drop

Weird performance drop: This used to never happen to me. My game is constantly getting 15 or under FPS, when I usually get 60 with the same amount of CPU, GPU and Memory usage. Also even if I restart the game it will still have the same problem, and I actually have to restart the whole laptop. Even...
  7. Computer Performance Suddenly Dropped

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Performance Suddenly Dropped: Hi everyone,Several days ago I started having performance issues when ever I attempt to play games on my computer. The type of game doesn't really matter, it could be a triple A game or the equivalent of a mobile game, and I will have serious issues trying to play it. I'm...
  8. Network drops

in Windows 10 Customization
    Network drops: Hi. My laptop is up-to date. But whenever I conect to wifi (any network) , it drops or disconnects and can't be reconnected unless I reset wifi settings (esp. when resetted) . It is so annoying when I am working with my laptop. Is there any solution that could help me?...
  9. Network Bandwidth

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Bandwidth: My Programs are interrupted by Lack of Bandwidth messages .What can I do to improve bandwidth simply it is a Home Network served by Bell.? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-bandwidth/4aa161f7-d3b9-46ec-a8c8-f0bb619732fa
  10. Windows 10 = Performance drops

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows 10 = Performance drops: Hi guys, I recently upgraded to windows 10 (Clean install) from windows 7 64-bit. I have a Geforce GTX 970 GPU, latest drivers, latest BIOS. In fact the computer isn't over 2 months old. However after upgrading to Windows 10, I have experienced substantial performance...