Windows 10: Anyone seeing an update for a new version of Onedrive ?

Discus and support Anyone seeing an update for a new version of Onedrive ? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I just had this pop up with no warning and I actually wondered if it was malware. Seems that it is not although the way this message was delivered was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mooly, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Mooly Win User

Anyone seeing an update for a new version of Onedrive ?

I just had this pop up with no warning and I actually wondered if it was malware. Seems that it is not although the way this message was delivered was not good imo. What was worse was a message saying that I 'might' have to uninstall previous versions first. What's that all about ? Anyhow I clicked through it all and was rewarded with a new Onedrive folder that seems much more like Dropbox with ticks against items to show that they are up to date.

This was all on a 32 bit version of Ten. My 64 bit system says all is up to date but it still has the 'old' look of course.

Puzzled !

Anyone seeing an update for a new version of Onedrive ? [​IMG]

:)

Mooly, Aug 15, 2016
  2. ShayMeyer Win User

Assign a new version of an application to open a file

I have several versions of an application to handle a particular file-type (that is with a particular file-name-extension).

The versions of the application have the same file name, but are located in different folders.

When I use Control Panel in an attempt to associate the newest version of the application with the file-type there are problems.

1) Navigation through the various levels of menu did not change the version of the application called up to handle the file.

2) When I tried to assign a completely different application and then assign the new version of the application, Control Panel hung!

What is the correct procedure to achieve my aim?

ShayMeyer, Aug 15, 2016
  3. Assign a new version of an application to open a file

Hi,

Follow the steps below to set the default programs and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type
      Default programs and select the top most search result.

• Click on Set your Default programs and select the programs listed in the left side panel of the window to set defaults.

• Follow the on-screen instructions.

• Close the window after setting the programs and check if the changes are effective.

Method 2: If the issue persists, follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type
      Default programs and select the top most search result.

• Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program option from the window.

• Click on the file type or protocol that you want to change and click on
      Change program.

• Follow the on-screen instructions.

• Close the window after setting the programs defaults and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Aug 15, 2016
  4. Mooly Win User

Strange. This is the new look.

Mooly, Aug 15, 2016
  5. Not seeing anything either. Mine is 64 bit pro windows and that is how onedrive icon looks on mine

does seem an unusual prompt, I would of thought a one drive update would of been rolled up/hidden within a cumulative update from windows update

Scottyboy99, Aug 15, 2016
  6. Did you have Onedrive setup previously, via the app in system tray?
    When i first setup my tablet it did exactly the same for updating the app

The pic in post #3 is how onedrive currently looks in File Explorer, when signed in and synced through the app in system tray

paulsalter, Aug 15, 2016
  7. It maybe coincidence but on my iOS devices an update to the onedrive app just came tumbling through - could be that MS is doing something that may feed to Windows too. But as at the moment I haven't seen anything change within Windows or any update prompts

8. Mooly Win User

Well the Windows installation (32bit Home) was a clean install of the Anniversary Update, and its only today that this Onedrive update has appeared. My 64 bit pro install was also clean installed 2 weeks ago and that is sporting the 'old' ? look.

Mooly, Aug 15, 2016
  9. It's certainly puzzling. I think onedrive is good idea but it's not really for me all this cloud stuff so I don't have it active in my system tray - maybe that's why mine doesn't go through any update process. Although if I go into file explorer I see the quick link for onedrive and it sports the newer look. Mine was an anniversary update back in the 2nd, not clean installed but done through Windows update.

10. Mooly Win User
    Yes, it is strange. I haven't done anything different between the two installs and haven't even specifically used Onedrive on either since clean installing. The couple of files that I have on Onedrive just automatically downloaded to both PC's as expected. And then today this update...

Just have to see what happens I suppose.

Mooly, Aug 15, 2016
  11. Mooly Win User
    My Dell (post #7) has just flashed up a new looking cloud symbol in the notification area. Looks like I have just been 'updated' to the new look as my OneDrive now looks like the image in post #3

Mooly, Aug 22, 2016
  12. Mystere Win User
    It's not malware. I've had that popup before as well. I don't know the conditions upon which it happens, but it's legit.

Mystere, Aug 22, 2016
  13. Berton Win User

I've done a few AUs [4] and after rebooting there was a OneDrive update to do.

Berton, Aug 22, 2016
  14. I'm just curious, I've never seen onedrive update on any of my machines unless it happens background or when machine is idle / unattended. How do we do an update for it or check for updates?

Scottyboy99, Aug 22, 2016
  15. Mooly Win User
    It seems to update silently as there is nothing showing under the normal update screens. I can't just spot anything in event viewer either.

Mooly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Anyone seeing an update for a new version of Onedrive ? - Similar Threads - Anyone seeing update

2. Anyone else seeing BSOD following the September 12, 2023 update for Windows 11, version 22H2?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Anyone else seeing BSOD following the September 12, 2023 update for Windows 11, version 22H2?: Anyone else seeing BSOD following the September 12, 2023 update for Windows 11, version 22H2? Seems like I need to add "uninstalling this update" to my morning routine or else go buy a Mac....
  3. Anyone else seeing BSOD following the September 12, 2023 update for Windows 11, version 22H2?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Anyone else seeing BSOD following the September 12, 2023 update for Windows 11, version 22H2?: Anyone else seeing BSOD following the September 12, 2023 update for Windows 11, version 22H2? Seems like I need to add "uninstalling this update" to my morning routine or else go buy a Mac....
  4. Anyone else seeing BSOD following the September 12, 2023 update for Windows 11, version 22H2?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. PSA: If you see two blank folders on startup, there's a bug in the new OneDrive update.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PSA: If you see two blank folders on startup, there's a bug in the new OneDrive update.: I just wanted to get this out there so nobody begins panic-posting. One folder is named "desktopwindowxamlsource," the other is completely blank, neither can be opened or closed. I'm 90% sure this is a onedrive bug, and I'm starting to find forum posts from about a month ago...
  6. see what's new in this update?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    see what's new in this update?: on the windows update view update history clicking on the link just either goes to the Microsoft store and tips or stays blank another windows bug i feel ? 180659
  7. see what's new in this update?

in Windows 10 Support
    see what's new in this update?: on the windows update view update history clicking on the link just either goes to the Microsoft store and tips or stays blank another windows bug i feel ? 180659
  8. update new version

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    update new version: hi my pc is not charging properly after updating new version window 10 (1809) also https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-new-version/79ede7e3-0572-4958-b834-94f9895008ba
  9. New Updates to OneDrive for Business & SharePoint Team Site Versioning

in Windows 10 News
    New Updates to OneDrive for Business & SharePoint Team Site Versioning: On May 15th we announced on the Office 365 Roadmap (ID 30544) that we’re updating the versioning settings on all OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online team site document libraries, including both group-connected team sites and team sites not connected to an Office 365...
  10. New "Meta" Tile on Start menu: (see image) Anyone seen this?

in Windows 10 Support
    New "Meta" Tile on Start menu: (see image) Anyone seen this?: Hello, everyone. I'm happy to find this very robust community of Win10 users. I hope someone here has some insight into this windows "feature", which doesn't seem to be documented or commented on anywhere online that I can find - possibly because I am not using the correct...